Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Aronow edeucation. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/84667-aronow-edeucation.html)

Cord 08-10-2004 11:32 AM

Re: Aronow edeucation.

3 Attachment(s)
These are the pics that I captured.

boot 08-10-2004 11:54 AM

Hi Lee, Moxy has been "resting" for a few years ...... It MAY get wet soon .

That boat there was my buddies boat for YEARS ! It has /or HAD , small blocks in it . He swaped it to that guy for an air plane .... His paper work said squadron 12. the cig emblem stumped us too ... When we were at cig quite a few years ago , there was a guy there that remembered building the boat ! ( Not necessarily in the cig plant ) I think it was "Brownie" ....

THe boat was nabbed by the cops and auctioned when my buddy got it . They say the cabin was COMPLETELY FULL ,TOP TO BOTTOM , FRONT TO BACK , WITH DRUGS !!

I always wondered who's boat it was at that time ...

Stormrider 08-10-2004 12:47 PM

Cord, that was the boat in Huntington.

Sean 08-13-2004 07:19 AM

Lee,

that is strange indeed...because I know XEX is the squadron prefix...but everything i've ever read never showed the "step" boat to be a squadron. also, the years don't add up...Squadron didnt exist until 81-82 and maybe this one sat around until then? or could it be that this boat was re-stamped? with it's somewhat shady past, I wouldnt be surprised...

Cord 08-13-2004 10:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Now, is it just me or do these lines seem simular? It's a 27' Progression.

Hang Time 27 10-19-2004 10:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Cord,

I don't know if your still following this thread, but the 27'er is alot different than the 28ss. I too could not see affording to run twins, but I always loved the Cig 28ss. The 27's freeboard is very low (which is why I liked it) The outside lifting strake that goes all the way to the transom is 5.5 inches wide!! Thats probably as big as on a 42'er! The inside strake that ends about 8-10 feet short of the transom is only 2.5 inches wide - Thats about the normal width of most boats in this size range, including the 28ss and the 27 magnum. So much for the "don't mess with success" rumor about Don. I think they were trying to get more lift for better speeds with a single drive, and yes it works. It gives a rougher ride than the 28ss because of this (as well as the extra weight of the 28), but it does give it a good cruise speed for it's size. It can run light and wild like a 22 donzi, or just put down the big tabs and it's digging in like a much bigger boat. The idea of getting more lift was more effectively used by reggie fountain at around the same time, but he added the extra lift all the way in at the keel by making another set of strakes right at the keel, which is now known as "the pad". I think they both work about the same at cruise speeds, but the pad is definately better for top speed because it can lift the boat further out of the water.

I've got 625hp and a TRS spinning a 29" Mirage Plus to 5,300 rpm, and can maybe touch 80 with the 100gal tank empty and no friends. Otherwise, 77mph GPS all day long. Granted, my boat was painted sometime back and the bottom condition sucks (needs to be detailed), has a larger, heavier engine hatch and windscreen than original.

The boats are built solid as hell. No cabin up front, just bulkheads and stringers. My boat is aptly named Hang Time because thats what I enjoy doing with it!! I've landed every way but upside down - ripped seats out etc......There are still no structural cracks whatsoever - I can't say that for most of the 28's I've seen.

CFD5 10-19-2004 11:10 PM

In pic/post #16 is that the Cig/Squadron that Aronow named "Apache" or am I wrong? This was before Apache Powerboats correct?

CFD5 10-19-2004 11:20 PM

Sorry, this pic.

BROWNIE 10-20-2004 07:52 AM

When Aronow sold Cigarette to Hal Halter, he agreed to build only 12 boats a year for time immemorial. Considering that he had f*****d every one else that he had sold a company to, noone expected him to stick with it (except maybe Hal...). That's where the name Squadron XII came from. He had a 24' Cig lookalke, that he sold to Charlie McCarthy, a 27' single engine (Petro-crisis time) a 33' and a 39'. God knows how many boats he built. Some said that he built some "off color" boats with the same hull #, maybe as many as ten. In any case, it wasn't very logical. When he got Cigarette back for 10 cents on the dollar, he forgot about Squadron.

Cord 10-20-2004 08:04 AM

HT27-I've seen pics of your boat before and I just love the lines. I actually managed to get ahold of Tom Abrams and we talked for a while. He too is very fond of his boat. He said that he'd see 85mph with 650hp so you both are right there. The interesting thing is that he said he could still do it in 3'ers! If you ever came across one that was available, I'd sure appreciate you dropping me a note so I could look into it.

The boat that is in the classifieds is a bit of a odd duck. It was listed on boat trader for 12.5 by Brystar Marine group out of Texas. They never return phone calls. It's now relisted for 16.5. The boat on the board is still at 12.5 but it's now by a individual out of Ohio. The e-mail address is bad and the phone number is for some web server company that e-mail addy points to. I've been told that the boat really isn't a Cigarette, but that it is a IMP and was built after the molds were sold. I'm also told that the boat is trashed. I'm also curious about the engine/drive combo. I know that the 330 was placed in front of the alpha for one year, then it was bravo/big block combinations only. The magnum was never used with the alpha. The 1986 year also seems to be a bit early for the alpha. A bunch of mystery surrounding that one.