Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Has Cigarette lost it's way??? >

Has Cigarette lost it's way???

Notices

Has Cigarette lost it's way???

Old 08-07-2004, 11:36 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts
Default Re: Has Cigarette lost it's way???

Originally Posted by Rut Row
that is very wrong, fountains top speeds come in choppy water due to less resistance, fountains are made for cruising through waves at high speeds just as much as cigarette if not more, that would be why all the offshore racers are almost all fountain, NO CIGARETTES, so get it right buddy

Oh yea, that's right...I forgot, Fountains known for hammering big water!

My theory: Alot of the offshore racers are Fountains because A) they can get them cheaper than a Cig and B) they bought into the propaganda that Fountain builds the fastest V-bottom.
Old 08-07-2004, 11:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dont think that half that can afford a offshore racers and to run the racer would care about the differance between a cigarette and a fountain, they just want the best hull made, and it happens to be fountain
Old 08-08-2004, 12:32 AM
Registered

Re: Has Cigarette lost it's way???

that is very wrong, fountains top speeds come in choppy water due to less resistance, fountains are made for cruising through waves at high speeds just as much as cigarette if not more, that would be why all the offshore racers are almost all fountain, NO CIGARETTES, so get it right buddy
Sorry...don't know what world your living in but there is no such thing as offshore racing any more. It's all closed course river racing. The days of true offshore have been over for awhile. I never see results from Miami to Bimini.

As for the wave crushers I've been in both plenty. In 6 ft chop and over NOTHING handles like a cigarette...period...end of story.

We ran in Savannah last year in some fun water with 22 other boats...the boats out front all day were...a Topgun., a cafe racer, and a bullet...all Cigs. When we got back to the docks later you would have thought a bunch of women were out there, sorry ladies , with all the *****in' and moanin' about how rough it was. As for us. we were enjoying it knowing that it was a great ride for us in the Topgun. I also had a broken foot that was operated on the following week but I was standing with the broken foot in the bolster ALL DAY. i had postponed my surgery until after the APBA races so I wouldn't be there on crutches not boating

P.S. Please don't look at my statements as bashing fountain's because that is not my intention. Fountain builds a GREAT boat but in my experience the cigs are just unbelievable in the rough stuff. My very first ride in a performance boat was in a 10m fountain when I was 14 or 15 years old. I was hooked after that.

Last edited by clearcut3; 08-08-2004 at 12:45 AM.
Old 08-08-2004, 01:25 AM
Member #2 ....Jeeezz
Charter Member

Originally Posted by clearcut3
Sorry...don't know what world your living in but there is no such thing as offshore racing any more. It's all closed course river racing. The days of true offshore have been over for awhile. I never see results from Miami to Bimini.
Damn Clearcut3 ... you took the words right out of my fingertips ... THERE ARE NO MORE OFFSHORE RACES

Cigarette doesn't care to be 'World Champion Kilo Racing Team' ... Cigarette doesn't want to be 'World Champion Inside The Breakwater Racing Team'

And what's up with this ... Sunsation has 'World Champion Offshore Powerboats' as part of their name

All I know is that today I ran back from Long Beach to Newport at 5:00 pm in 4-5 washing machine on top of a swell and the tatteltale read 84 ... that's what I'm talkin' 'bout

G
Old 08-08-2004, 05:28 AM
Charter Member #71
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

Any business tends to take on the personality of it's owner. In the case of Cig, OL and Fountain, look at the personalities of Reggie, Fiorie and Skip, and remember what kind of man DA was. Big difference in philosophies/lifestyles, big difference in boats.
Old 08-08-2004, 06:44 AM
FireBall

Cigarette has not lost it's way . If anything they are right on track. The new look 45 "Max" without the funky interior is very sharp. Jury is still out on the 39? People like the poker run boats. There will be a whole lot more of them sold this year than race boats. The guys saying that Cig is sitting back and reaping the rewards of the Fountain/OL comp. are on to something here. The last time Top Speed run-offs were this heated Cig wasn't a paticipant either . It was Fountain/Scarab back then . And one of those two is gone now ??? All in all it should be interesting to see how this all shakes out. Good Drama !

Old 08-08-2004, 08:44 AM
Registered

[QUOTE=cigarette1]Damn Clearcut3 ... you took the words right out of my fingertips ... THERE ARE NO MORE OFFSHORE RACES

REALLY? Ever been to Key West, Point Pleasant or Daytona? I have raced and won at these locations, and let me tell you, they ARE rough water races. While I agree that offshore racing has taken on a different mantra, (Not nearly as much emphasis is placed on longevity in harsh conditions) there are still a FEW true ROUGH water races. And those are the races that seperate the men from the boys.
Old 08-08-2004, 08:44 AM
Registered

Too much attention to a glorified drag race. Let's see these boats running in real offshore conditions for a descent distance. No more of this bullshzit on bays & rivers. This is not proving anything other than who can show up with the biggest motor in a hull that will hold together long enough to complete the runs. Let me see offshore boats running in offshore conditions, then we can see if Cigarette wants to come out and play.
Old 08-08-2004, 08:57 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IMO, the point is that Cig is resting on their laurels from what, 30 years ago?? Hell, even Cassius Clay gave up that

Drag races are cool, there is no doubt. But the point that they are not real world boating is an oh so valid ones. Running 6 - 7's @ in the Atlantic in a ZR, the same on a Fountain in 1000 islands, crushing the waves racing off of Daytona or Key west, hell even Alabama, these are the true tests of an offshore boat. And it is proven that the old Cigs could do this in a race situation, and win. But, Cig is continuing to boast World Champion everywhere, when they have not built a championship hull in how many years?? IMO, it's time they gave that title to Apache since it seems several of their old style hulls (not saying carbon copies here) ended up there...

Pure and simple: You want to continue boasting you have the title, you don't lay down and quit.. Donzi is back, and kicking some azz, where the hell is Cig and the loyal Cig contingent? Playing patrol boat!!
Old 08-08-2004, 09:54 AM
Registered

You just lost all credibility, I can see you are new to the boards and it sounds like you are new to offshore performance boats as well. I have run against Fountains in my Gun and when the water is rough it is amazing how fast I can walk away from them. I have also driven Fountains and know why they dont run hard in the rough. In my opinion they make a good lake boat but in the ocean they are a little scarry when the water gets nasty.

A friend just bought a 42 Tiger and repowered it with 1000's and we took it out for a run the other day. He has owned and raced Fountains in the past and said if he would have known how much Better the Cig was in the rough he would have switched brands along time ago.

We are signed up for the Scope run at the end of the month which is a 100 mile offshore run. I hope there is some good water for the run, and if there is I bet the Cigs finish ahead of the Fountains. Maybe they can make up for it on the short course inside the breakwater.

Quick Reply: Has Cigarette lost it's way???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.