Notices

Fountain vs OL, my take.

Old 08-08-2004, 01:27 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Fountain vs OL, my take.

I've been reading all of the posts related to this topic with interest for some time now. I've also been watching the chest pounding related to the topic from both sides as well.

First of all, I don't own either one of the boats nor have I ever owned one. The fact is I probably will never own either one. I like to think of my views as VERY unbiased. You could say I'm on the outside looking in.

Here's my take.....

Myself and several buddies like to take the occasional trip to the local drag strip. Other than a couple of us no one actually has an official drag car of any type. We just have vehicles we like to run against each other for the sake of doing it. You know, a testosterone thing. Just to say "I beat him". Here's the part that confuses me. I race a friend that has been smack talking me for awhile. We both line up and the tree lights up, the light goes green and we take off. My buddy is still sitting at the starting line because he broke something serious and I get the win light. OK, great, I got the win light. But IMO I didn't actually beat him. We didn't race. So why should I go back to the pits bragging about beating someone that didn't actually race me? A real competitor would want the competition to give him %100 to show that he ACTUALLY beat the other guy. That's how I see this weekends events.

I'm not taking anything away from Reggie and crew. The speeds they put down are breath taking to say the least. Something that needs to be recognized without a doubt. But if Reggie is half the competitor everyone here says he is then he should be disappointed that OL wasn't able to make a pass. From what I've heard about his personality I have a feeling that this is probably the case. I would think that the fans of his products would feel the same way. I know if I were talking smack here I would want OL to give Fountain everything they had and not laugh at them for breaking prior to the competition.

Buck
Old 08-08-2004, 01:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Fountain vs OL, my take.

But IMO I didn't actually beat him. We didn't race. So why should I go back to the pits bragging about beating someone that didn't actually race me? A real competitor would want the competition to give him %100 to show that he ACTUALLY beat the other guy

He shattered Outerlimits record. That seems to be beating them? Just what I see, and it would have been cool to listen to talk offshore with both boats running it. I bet it would have been very good to listen to.
Old 08-08-2004, 01:36 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Re: Fountain vs OL, my take.

My thoughts on competition in general as it applies in this instance is that competition between boats and companies is good. Competition between "people" is bad. Nobody is "better" than somebody else. We are all equal.

Human nature and evolution in our species has included positive competition as a way of striving to the realization of higher accomplishments. We all compete in one way or another.

In retrospect I had a lot of fun yesterday getting the news from oso, a little monkey business said about both teams, but in the end my best wishes to everybody involved on both sides and congrats to Reggie and his team.

One thing is for sure. If another Kilo event is put in place the racers better have 180+ MPH under the hatches. Yesterday was fun and brought adrenaline into offshore racing. It's good for everybody.

Take care folks!
Old 08-08-2004, 01:39 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

I agree with you Buck!

The saying that pops into mind, " I'm just beating myself...."

Reggie beat his own record.

Reggie never acknowledged OL's record... so I guess he couldn't have broken that one as well....

Congrats to him for pulling it off though safely.

I noticed now he his building a cut down version for I guess next time....

Hopefully OL or even Skater for that matter will be able to make a challenge at that point....

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 08-08-2004, 01:49 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by HyperBaja
But IMO I didn't actually beat him. We didn't race. So why should I go back to the pits bragging about beating someone that didn't actually race me? A real competitor would want the competition to give him %100 to show that he ACTUALLY beat the other guy

He shattered Outerlimits record. That seems to be beating them? Just what I see, and it would have been cool to listen to talk offshore with both boats running it. I bet it would have been very good to listen to.
Hyper...I'm not saying he didn't beat OL's record. But reading a lot of the replies on this board you would think that Fountaing kicked OL's butt while both of them made successful passes. Just seems to me there's a lot of smack talking for no reason.

When both of these companies make successful runs w/ everything they have then people have a right to talke IMO>

Buck
Old 08-08-2004, 01:51 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Re: Fountain vs OL, my take.

Originally Posted by sharkeymarine
I agree with you Buck!

The saying that pops into mind, " I'm just beating myself...."

Reggie beat his own record.

Reggie never acknowledged OL's record... so I guess he couldn't have broken that one as well....

Congrats to him for pulling it off though safely.

I noticed now he his building a cut down version for I guess next time....

Hopefully OL or even Skater for that matter will be able to make a challenge at that point....
If Reggie keeps this up Skater may be his only future prize!

177 MPH ain't that far away from Unlimited Hydroplane speeds of around 220 MPH. He was not using aerodynamics either. He accomplished something HUGE yesterday. He deserves credit.
Old 08-08-2004, 02:12 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Buck ..your WRONG. The preparation expended counts for everything. Fountain Was PREPARED to win. Outerlimits was not. The time effort and money expended to compete and win gives you the right to say what you want when you want. By the way Team Fountain as far as I know has said nothing...just the fans talking here. And for all the "smack" the Ol boys have been talking they knew it was coming...They are cool dudes and will take it like men.

Now if you were at the drag strip with your buddies and you spent a month getting ready to run for the record and your trash talking friend didn't get off the line...you ran broke a world record too boot....you'd do nothing but hold up your hand if he or anyone else for that matter tried to discount your accomplishment. Wouldn't you...oh no sir I couldnt take that world record trophy My buddy who wasn't prepared broke. You keep it and give it to the next guy. Please.

nuff said

congrats fountain
Ol's got a mission to defend their reputation. go get em boys

Maximus
Old 08-08-2004, 02:18 PM
Registered

Did you hear about the Nascar team that showed up to Daytona unprepaired............they LOST.

Originally Posted by HyperBaja
Old 08-08-2004, 04:27 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just a thought here, all we know is that Fountain ran 177 mph, no one seems to know exactly what happened with O/L, except probably a few within the O/L camp, are we supposed to believe that O/L never ran the boat before this run to see what they were capable of? Is it possible that they knew that they couldn't pull off anything higher than say 175 and if Reggie did then they would be wasting their time even running? If this is the case than maybe they did not break but decided that saying that they did was a way to save face. I don't think anyone educated on the topic would want to bet any serious money on either team as it appears that both are extremely capable, but this was Reggie's day and regardless of who ran and who didn't, he raised the bar...Matt
Old 08-08-2004, 04:56 PM
Registered

I know, here's another me opinion. Think of this please. OL says they have the fastest v-bottom at 161. He has GPS tattletail to back up. Previous Kilo record was Fountain at 160.

What rubs Fountain is OL said they have done the fastest all-time speed of any v-hull at 161.

In reality, Fountain was at 164 for his quickest pass the day he set the previous Kilo record which is computed at 160 for the 2-pass average. Fountain states 160 under Kilo rules, OL states 161 GPS rules.

Then Mikey says in Powerboat 2004 magazine quote "somebody needs to shut him up"

What do you expect from a guy with all the drive in the world (5 divorces) to do?

Relax and fish??

Quick Reply: Fountain vs OL, my take.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.