Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Here Comes Charley ! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/84961-here-comes-charley.html)

jayboat 08-12-2004 06:21 AM

Re: Here Comes Charley !

Cuda, that is very good advice. Back in 97 or 98 (memory is shot) I was living in Wrightsville Beach when one of many hurricanes that decade came ashore there. Carolina Inlet Marina took a direct hit and an estimated 15ft surge wave. IT SUNK EVERY BOAT IN THE MARINA. Mainly because no one expected the direct hit and didnt set long enough spring lines. Terrible sight. The photos made the cover of BoatUs magazine.

Any advice from anyone about how to prepare with a boat on a lift would be appreciated. I'm thinking of lashing the lift beams to the poles to keep down any sway action.

skatermike24 08-12-2004 06:24 AM

Nicky hope your boat is tied down. Be safe my friend. Anyone gonna fill their boat with water.

CigDaze 08-12-2004 06:58 AM

Fortunately, my boat is on the second rack in a 140-mph building...no worries there.

However, this storm is coming right for the Tampa area and that surge is going to wreak havock. :eek:

Formula Outlaw 08-12-2004 07:00 AM

The news just keeps getting worse. Yesterday "Charlie" was supposed to hit around Ft. Myers which would be good for us. Less storm surge. Now they are saying hitting in Tampa or just north, AND it could possibly become a category 3 storm.

I have officially gone from nervous, to slightly scared.

Wish I'd gotten the hell out of here.

If it goes ashore in Tampa, that will bring the winds out of the west with a lot more force. Coming out of the east their is "stuff" to slow it down a little. At this point, no offense to my OPBA brethern, I hope this thing goes as far north as possible, it's not going to be south of me like I was hoping. If we get a ten foot storm surge, be on the lookout for "Outlaw" cause it might be floating anywhere, and we'll be underwater.

Why can't they just explode a bomb over it and blow it up?????

CigDaze 08-12-2004 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Formula Outlaw

You and me, both. This is not looking good at all. :eek:

CigDaze 08-12-2004 07:21 AM

P.S.

The graphic in my first post is self-updating, so make sure to check the first page and hit the "reload" button.

robyw1 08-12-2004 08:42 AM

Now you guys be careful and spare us the photoshoped pictures of approaching hurricanes :D Just kidding go ahead and take hurricane pics.

Roby

robyw1 08-12-2004 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Formula Outlaw
The news just keeps getting worse. Yesterday "Charlie" was supposed to hit around Ft. Myers which would be good for us. Less storm surge. Now they are saying hitting in Tampa or just north, AND it could possibly become a category 3 storm.

Wish I'd gotten the hell out of here.

If it goes ashore in Tampa, that will bring the winds out of the west with a lot more force. Coming out of the east their is "stuff" to slow it down a little. At this point, no offense to my OPBA brethern, I hope this thing goes as far north as possible, it's not going to be south of me like I was hoping. If we get a ten foot storm surge, be on the lookout for "Outlaw" cause it might be floating anywhere, and we'll be underwater.

Why can't they just explode a bomb over it and blow it up?????

Jeez it sure did change overnight. Looks like Sarasota is the target. Be careful russ.

Roby

Iggy 08-12-2004 09:03 AM

If you guys read the public notice from the National Hurricane Center you'll see that Charlie is a tightly packed storm. Hurricane force winds only extend out 25 miles from the center while Tropical Storm forces are out to 115 miles.

What that means for me is that in Kissimmee all we'll see are Tropical Storm winds and rain, providing it doesn't change course that is.
Tonight I need to get some 1/4 line to tie the cover down to the trailer. I think I'll be able to leave it in the driveway insted of moving it into the yard.

Be safe everyone.

rchevelle71 08-12-2004 09:12 AM

According to the latest picture, it is going to completely miss me.......

Damn, I was hoping for a new roof!!!