Notices

Here Comes Charley !

Old 08-12-2004, 06:21 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Re: Here Comes Charley !

Cuda, that is very good advice. Back in 97 or 98 (memory is shot) I was living in Wrightsville Beach when one of many hurricanes that decade came ashore there. Carolina Inlet Marina took a direct hit and an estimated 15ft surge wave. IT SUNK EVERY BOAT IN THE MARINA. Mainly because no one expected the direct hit and didnt set long enough spring lines. Terrible sight. The photos made the cover of BoatUs magazine.

Any advice from anyone about how to prepare with a boat on a lift would be appreciated. I'm thinking of lashing the lift beams to the poles to keep down any sway action.

NAPLES IMAGE Photo Galleries

NAPLES IMAGE PHOTOBLOG
Old 08-12-2004, 06:24 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nicky hope your boat is tied down. Be safe my friend. Anyone gonna fill their boat with water.
Old 08-12-2004, 06:58 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Fortunately, my boat is on the second rack in a 140-mph building...no worries there.

However, this storm is coming right for the Tampa area and that surge is going to wreak havock.
Old 08-12-2004, 07:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The news just keeps getting worse. Yesterday "Charlie" was supposed to hit around Ft. Myers which would be good for us. Less storm surge. Now they are saying hitting in Tampa or just north, AND it could possibly become a category 3 storm.

I have officially gone from nervous, to slightly scared.

Wish I'd gotten the hell out of here.

If it goes ashore in Tampa, that will bring the winds out of the west with a lot more force. Coming out of the east their is "stuff" to slow it down a little. At this point, no offense to my OPBA brethern, I hope this thing goes as far north as possible, it's not going to be south of me like I was hoping. If we get a ten foot storm surge, be on the lookout for "Outlaw" cause it might be floating anywhere, and we'll be underwater.

Why can't they just explode a bomb over it and blow it up?????
Old 08-12-2004, 07:19 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Formula Outlaw

You and me, both. This is not looking good at all.
Old 08-12-2004, 07:21 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

P.S.

The graphic in my first post is self-updating, so make sure to check the first page and hit the "reload" button.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:42 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now you guys be careful and spare us the photoshoped pictures of approaching hurricanes Just kidding go ahead and take hurricane pics.

Roby
Old 08-12-2004, 08:45 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Formula Outlaw
The news just keeps getting worse. Yesterday "Charlie" was supposed to hit around Ft. Myers which would be good for us. Less storm surge. Now they are saying hitting in Tampa or just north, AND it could possibly become a category 3 storm.

Wish I'd gotten the hell out of here.

If it goes ashore in Tampa, that will bring the winds out of the west with a lot more force. Coming out of the east their is "stuff" to slow it down a little. At this point, no offense to my OPBA brethern, I hope this thing goes as far north as possible, it's not going to be south of me like I was hoping. If we get a ten foot storm surge, be on the lookout for "Outlaw" cause it might be floating anywhere, and we'll be underwater.

Why can't they just explode a bomb over it and blow it up?????
Jeez it sure did change overnight. Looks like Sarasota is the target. Be careful russ.

Roby
Old 08-12-2004, 09:03 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you guys read the public notice from the National Hurricane Center you'll see that Charlie is a tightly packed storm. Hurricane force winds only extend out 25 miles from the center while Tropical Storm forces are out to 115 miles.

What that means for me is that in Kissimmee all we'll see are Tropical Storm winds and rain, providing it doesn't change course that is.
Tonight I need to get some 1/4 line to tie the cover down to the trailer. I think I'll be able to leave it in the driveway insted of moving it into the yard.

Be safe everyone.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:12 AM
Registered

According to the latest picture, it is going to completely miss me.......

Damn, I was hoping for a new roof!!!

Quick Reply: Here Comes Charley !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.