Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Gananoque's Poker Run Postponed (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/85033-gananoques-poker-run-postponed.html)

Jay_98ca 08-11-2004 07:28 PM

Gananoque's Poker Run Postponed

The below is typed word for word out of our local paper from Wed Aug 11/04

"The Thousand Islands Poker Run Gananoque event scheduled for Aug 27,28,29 in Ganaoque has been postponed"

This official word came Late Tuesday afternoon from 1000 Islands Poker Run Gananoque Chairperson Jonathan Allen in the form of a press release.

The release stated that the reason the Poker Run has been postponed is "William Taylor and Poker Runs Inc. have filed a lawsuit against the Town of Gananoque, the 1000 Islands Gananoque Chamber of Commerce,1000 Islands Poker Run Gananoque and various volunteers of the 1000 Islands Poker Run Gananoque committee."

Earlier this year, the comiittee said it would press ahead with the event despite a legal issue.The group were also looking to collect money to mount a legal defence against such a possibility.

Tuesday,despite this effort it was announced the Poker Run had been postponed.

"It is sad that this is happening," Mr.Allen stated in the release."The businesses,the communities and most importantly the charities are going to lose out big time."

During a brief interview,Mr Allen stated the postponement of the run will also affect the communities surrounding Gananoque because of all the spin offs.

He also noted the biggest thing are the charities and the businesses... the funds that are raised to go there."

These were the only comments Mr. Allen said he could offer on the matter as the issue is now a legal matter before the courts.

The public is encouraged to visit the websites www.1000islandspokerrun.com and www.gananoquepokerrun.com for any further updates on the event.

I don't know about you all, But speaking for myself and alot of the volunteers that offered alot of time each year for the run and pour our hearts into it to make it the best event on the calender,the warmth of the small town and our great facilities for such a small town,I pitty you guys in fighting for space in Kingston this year. I am going to make a trip up to see you all Friday night and look forward to seeing some old friends and make some new ones too. Hope everyone is doing well and look forward to seeing you all in a couple days.....

In case some of you might have forgot me, I was the crazy fool on the Sea-Doo handing out cards in Rockport for the 2nd last card stop 2 yrs ago,What a rush that was......

Take care all.....

GO4BROKE 08-11-2004 07:37 PM

Re: Gananoque's Poker Run Postponed

Thats a shame.

Shane 08-11-2004 07:42 PM

What a terrible thing to do.

bojoe2 08-11-2004 08:09 PM

ttt

wwwTOPDJcom 08-11-2004 08:36 PM

WHAT A **** HEAD what kind of jerk interfers with a poker run

Rippem 08-11-2004 10:20 PM

It's all about money, and the Taylor's efforts to attempt to monopolize the ability to make it (money) on poker runs in our area...period. :mad:

Canada Jeff 08-12-2004 06:19 AM

Lets get the facts before you judge. Gan wanted more money than the previous years, and PRA wasn't prepared to pay it. Kingston has open arms, they aren't stupid, they know how big this event is, and what it brings to a town. Its all business people.

I don't pretend to know all the facts, but hear it from both sides before you judge!!

DaveP 08-12-2004 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Canada Jeff
Lets get the facts before you judge. Gan wanted more money than the previous years, and PRA wasn't prepared to pay it. Kingston has open arms, they aren't stupid, they know how big this event is, and what it brings to a town. Its all business people.

I don't pretend to know all the facts, but hear it from both sides before you judge!!

Jeff, slowly step away from the BONG..........Taylor shook down the towm of GAN serveral times for all kinds of freebies. Fre Partys, Free Hotel Rooms for his staff, etc.... THATS THE REAL DEAL. I paid $2500 to sponsor the event last year and they wanted to charge me $250 for 3min of video footage for my boat? If it looks like a whore and smells like a whore....it must be a....

Airpacker 08-12-2004 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by DaveP
If it looks like a whore and smells like a whore....it must be a....

Its always been about the almighty buck with Bill and PRA. Just ask anyone whos been around the poker run circuit for tha last 15 years or so.

Seems that PRA has become a thorn in alot ot peoples sides this year. Outrageous demands for money, making getting event insurance hard and expensive etc.etc.

Theres change blowing in the wind......

Shane 08-12-2004 06:18 PM

Is Bill Taylor related to Mike A??? HmmmmmmmmThis story sounds VERY familiar!