Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   1988 26 foot chris craft stinger (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/85085-1988-26-foot-chris-craft-stinger.html)

puder 08-17-2004 05:02 PM

Re: 1988 26 foot chris craft stinger

captive i'm about to loose my free boat storage if your interested i'd make a deal on my scarab.

email me if interested.

fund razor 08-18-2004 08:53 AM

Hey Island Time,

What's up? Yeah, I let my old boat go and then started having trouble with The Chris Craft. Hoping that it isn't so bad that Glass Dave can't fix. Sometimes you can't see if the tabbing has come apart in the stern because of the engines and transom assys.

I had no idea until an engine had to come out for something else.

Then two weeks ago I pulled the boat for a different problem and found some pretty suspicious cracks in the hull that I didn't see all spring when the boat was at home.

I'll probably take a couple more rides and then have the hull issues addressed over the off season, which up here is most of the year.

fund razor 08-18-2004 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Island Time
Fund Razor,

What kind of chop you going thru on Erie to mess up your hull like that

Regular old Lake Erie chop. It ain't the height, it's the frequency. Except sometimes it's both.

No swells usually, just water piled up on water with little space between waves and no depth, so the whole wave structure reaches down to the bottom sometimes. A NE wind can really stirs things up for the western basin, but a SW wind can blow all the water out. I'm not sure why we even boat here. Same reason people try to grow crops in the desert I guess.

Island Time 08-18-2004 09:51 AM

GlassDave,

Mines an '88 26 Stinger w / 5.7 Alphas / Counter Rotating spinning in. Will try to send some Pix tomorrow...

FundRazor,

Too bad about the cracks, when you had the engines out how did the transom look. I pulled both transom assemblies off and was still solid. If your going to do repairs, drill some test holes.

Mine has been solid and I gained a ton of respect for it this summer during our keys trip. Got 80 miles from Marathon off Marco Is. when the wind kicked up to 15-20Kts / 3-5 ft seas / T-storms / Etc. We turned back North thru Okechobee locks and down East coast. After 3 days and 40 hours of run time, we beat the C#@P out of our boats running from T-storms and coming to a dead stop from 30Kts on to a 2 ft uncharted rock reef. With the exception of some missing gel coat on the keel and the paint from my virgin drive skegs, we had no major damage...Anyway, Friends tell me if you have paint on your skegs, you aint try,n.

Unfortunately @ hr 42, I blew the front main oil seal on the port side and had to get trailered home...Could have made it but would have needed to tow an oil tanker to replace the 1 Qt / hr blowing into my bilge, and I dont think the Coasties would have had trouble tracking me...Was still a great trip and the boat handled well.

fund razor 08-18-2004 11:29 AM

My transom is solid. It's the tabbing between the hull bottom and the transom that i have an issue with, and some cracks on the hull bottom gel coat.

Island Time 08-19-2004 10:04 AM

GlassDave,

Heres some Pixs...

Was wondering if you had any wireing diags for your boat. I have been looking for a while without any luck. The kid who had my boat was a real hack so most of the panel was a mess. I think its cleaned up now but would still like to have the orig for reference.

Island Time 08-19-2004 10:33 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Pix to big...Trying again..

fund razor 08-19-2004 01:33 PM

Nice looking, Island Time.

You've got the windshield like I have.

I am back in the water, by the way. Still have some ominous cracks to have checked in a few weeks when our season ends up here.

glassdave 08-19-2004 03:38 PM

hey Jon, glad to hear you are back in. sorry i couldnt gat back to you yesterday. i'll bring my mask an fins out to LP this weekend :D.

nice ride Island Time. i like that style of top. mine comes straight back from the wind screen and has very little head room but on the upside i can run flat out with no probs. by the way what props are you running? i am still trying to sort mine out. i have small blocks (275-300HP aprox) and alphas spinning 23 inch quicksilvers. right now i am seeing 57 mph at 4500 prm with full fuel and gear on the boat with a best of 61 mph. i am still over proped at the moment and would think 21's or 22's would be better. i dont have any info on the wiring but there was a post here some where with a bunch of good info on that subject. i think most boat manufacturers usa mercs standard for wiring and i remember seeing a wiring chart covering this. i will see if i can locate it. my wiring is mostly factory and leaves little to be desired. a racoon moved into my dash one winter while the previous owner still had it. luckily it only ate some lighting wires and the syncro wiring stuff. :rolleyes:

batty 08-19-2004 03:39 PM

a few weeks? am I the only one that braves the late October cold
:crazy: The good thing about staying in the water that long is the water gets cold enough that the algea will not stick to the bottom of the boat :cool: