Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Scale model of your own powerboat ?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/85115-scale-model-your-own-powerboat.html)

Scott B 10-13-2006 10:23 PM

Re: Scale model of your own powerboat ??

Originally Posted by homeaudio
Did you ever have any luck finding this guys card?
I am very interested in a 33ZX model.
Thanks

No, he wasn't there this year... Shame, he had some very cool models...

TUFFboat 10-14-2006 09:06 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Mine happened backwards, we tested the CAD design of the boat on models cut from solid MDF. When we got it right I used the model to test the colour lay-out, then built the real boat.

Excalibur Dude 10-14-2006 10:23 AM

Shiftgreen,
if you need a source for making cnc'd molds till you get on your own mechnically I may be able to help. I have a pretty large CNC router.

rude 10-14-2006 12:13 PM

yup, i'm thinking i'd be interested in something like that too!

Son of a Gun 10-14-2006 01:41 PM

Too bad this topic is 2 years old...I wonder if he's still around.

TeamSaris 10-14-2006 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by sono***un

Oops :D

Excalibur Dude 10-14-2006 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by sono***un

Now I feel retarded :chimp: . Didn't even look at the date :drink: . Hummm. ok I'll bite, Someone who was interested post a top, aft, bow, and side pic of thier boat...lets see what I can derive and draw from it. If I can draw it I can cut it :D

oh yea, probably need length and width numbers a get a reasonable rep of scale.

Phantom1 10-15-2006 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Excalibur Dude
Now I feel retarded :chimp: . Didn't even look at the date :drink: . Hummm. ok I'll bite, Someone who was interested post a top, aft, bow, and side pic of thier boat...lets see what I can derive and draw from it. If I can draw it I can cut it :D

oh yea, probably need length and width numbers a get a reasonable rep of scale.

After looking at your website, I'd say a boat would be very easy for you - impressive stuff.

Excalibur Dude 10-15-2006 03:10 PM

Thank you for the comment. Just to size this up. I tell you, I probably wouldn't want to try and earn a living making detailed replica's of "individuals" boats, I think the time involved could be a bit expensive if you really consider detailing outdrives, swimracks, railing, windows, seats....you get the picture.
To me It would make betters sense to do this type work for a company with a budget that wants an example piece to show case a product they are building, small scale performance testing, or for review during construction.
Another resonable idea would be to make something that could be made on some quantity level ( you set up for production and cost per unit decreases) less individualized.
And as I have done in the past I can provide those time consuming contoured molds and exact fit frame work and shae peices that people use in their effort to replicate parts consistantly.
I think what I could offer "resonably" would be a good base shaped core that the hobbiest would take over and detail.
Not that I wouldn't be willing to produce a finished product, I just wouldn't want to lead someone down a prim rose path (you know like someone with a wimmpy crash box that belongs in a Ford Pinto selling it to someone whos says they are going to use it to couple a DC-10 jet engine to the rear axle of a 60+ ton M-1 Abram tank "LMAO") spend a 100 hours, or what ever, and launch a finished product and big bill at them.
It would take some upfront "non-bill" time just to figure out a Not To Exceed Estimate.

sound reasonable?

hrs pla 02-07-2015 11:56 AM

heatbuzz Where did you find this truck trailer and boat replica