Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Offshore Racing......Then and Now (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/85153-offshore-racing-then-now.html)

97BossHammer 08-13-2004 11:49 AM

Offshore Racing......Then and Now

I'm interested in how Offshore racing got to where it is today. I remember watching when I was a kid in the early 80's when it seemed like offshore racing was at it's peak, lots of actors, etc getting involved. I've watched for years but have really now started paying a lot of attention to it and eventually I found myself wondering how all this got started. I'd like to really get behind the history of offshore racing and see how it evolved into what it is today. I'd like to know about the different organizations, and people involved. Take me to the beginning and where it all started, whats changed, and what got us to the point we are today.

*Important* not trying to stir up anything whatsoever, I don't want this thread to get ugly with which organization is better, which person is better, etc. I'm just very interested in how it all got started, who helped pave the way, etc. I've been scared to ask the question for some time because I know it's a touchy subject for some.....but there's just way too much knowledge on this site to not hear the stories.

FountainCS 08-13-2004 03:21 PM

Re: Offshore Racing......Then and Now

Read Searace by John Crouse (spelling?). It is the Bible to offshore racing. Enjoy.

DaveP 08-13-2004 03:51 PM

Visit: http://www.njppc.com/librarypreface.htm

Look at the old articles.

thedonz 08-13-2004 04:06 PM

If You Want To Know How It All Got Started Your Best Resource Would Be "searace" But To Get That Book Now Is Really Really Hard. But In My Opinion I Repeat "in My Opinion" Offshore Racing Is Not What It Use To Be. Back Then It Was Real Offshore. Now Days It's 2 Miles Off The Coast In A Course Track. The Real Offshore Races Were In The Early To Late 80's When Is Was From Miami To Nassau. That's When It Was Machine Vs Mother Nature. If You Ask The Oldschool Racers I'm Pretty Sure They Would Agree With Me. Once Again This Is My Opinion.

Mike Donz Jr

bouyhunter 08-13-2004 05:11 PM

DaveP -
Thanks for turning me on to a great site I didn't know existed - I've only scraped the surface, but I've got the weekend to dig in!

Ron P 08-13-2004 06:03 PM

I believe Offshore was larger than life at one time because the boats were something special. No one had a 38' Cigarette that went 90 if it wasn't a race boat. Now pleasure boats go faster than race boats. So they are no longer something out of the ordinary.

lucky strike 08-13-2004 08:03 PM

Ron P

Couldn't have put it better my self

Lucky Strike

LOBSTERBOY 08-14-2004 06:35 AM

That's right Ron !

Although , back then if you had a Cig or a midnight when we where running
we where not using water for ballast ! :crazy: If you know what i mean !

I mean they ! :D :drink: :rolleyes:

Marc

Here's Johnny 08-14-2004 09:03 AM

Dave P. great site!!! Point Pleasant Race 1973...I wish they still used that course today...that looks like a nice run and great for spectators to watch from boats and the Beaches.

97BossHammer 08-16-2004 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Ron P
I believe Offshore was larger than life at one time because the boats were something special. No one had a 38' Cigarette that went 90 if it wasn't a race boat. Now pleasure boats go faster than race boats. So they are no longer something out of the ordinary.

Yeah I agree with that. I just don't know how all these organizations got started, which was the first, why some split, why some folded, etc ,etc.