Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Baja Outlaw 24 vs Velocity 260... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/85165-baja-outlaw-24-vs-velocity-260-a.html)

mr_velocity 08-15-2004 07:55 PM

Re: Baja Outlaw 24 vs Velocity 260...

Originally Posted by Outlaw 24
I personally feel that the ride of the Outlaw is far better than a Velocity. There is a guy in our boating group that used to have a 24 velocity that rode like a cement mixer and did the velocity hop when trimming. If you are going to use the boat on rough water the Outlaw would be the boat to go with. The resale value as long as the boat is taken care of will be the same as the Velocity as well. The Baja name is more well known than Velocity!

I'd take a 26' Velocity over my old 28 Baja any day of the week. The Baja came apart everywhere. Bulkheads pulled away from the sides and bottom, more stress cracks than you could possibly count, bottom delaminated. I've been in the smaller Velocities and they ride very well if you KNOW how to TRIM the boat. Most people tend to over trim the boat.

rbtnt 08-15-2004 10:16 PM

Take a water test in each boat as a lot of others have said, but do them in water conditions that you normally run in.

I like the ride of the Velocity better than the BAJAs I have been in, but the wife did not like the height of the dash in the Velocity on the passenger side. It blocked too much of her view. I ended up with a 26' Powerquest when I was looking back in 96/97.

Slick02 08-16-2004 09:10 AM

I just recently sold an 98 Outlaw SE, and I live 20 minutes from the Velocity factory, cosmetically, I preferred the Outlaw, but the cabin/crawlway SUCKS, ya gotta get down on your knees and kinda wriggle into the cabin, for 99 when it became a 25 footer they redesigned the doorway/acess to the cabin and it helped alot.As far as the Velocity goes, its a well built boat and quicker than the Baja with comparable power,,,,,its just so damned BUTT UGLY, but the cabin is a little more tolerable and comfortable..guess it all depends on which boat appeals to you more. The above is just a personal opinion/observation from my perspective.

Outlaw 24 08-16-2004 05:56 PM

Mr. Velocity, First of all everyone is entitiled to their own opinion on this board but it is not appreciated when others boats are ripped on when you have not even owned either of the two style or size of boats that are in question! Any boat will come apart if it is beat to death. There is no other way to explain the damage that you listed to your baja. Also the Velocity that I was talking about had stress cracks that covered the transom. My Outlaw is the second baja that I have owned and does not have stress cracks anywhere on the hull.

mr_velocity 08-16-2004 07:59 PM

Mr. Velocity, First of all everyone is entitiled to their own opinion on this board but it is not appreciated when others boats are ripped on when you have not even owned either of the two style or size of boats that are in question! Any boat will come apart if it is beat to death. There is no other way to explain the damage that you listed to your baja. Also the Velocity that I was talking about had stress cracks that covered the transom. My Outlaw is the second baja that I have owned and does not have stress cracks anywhere on the hull.

Beat to death, I think not. Ripping other's boat, no I was ripping my 28' Baja. Style, aren't they boat "go fast offshore boats."

My Velocity is 18 mph faster then my Baja it also now has 160 hours more on it then did my Baja. My boating habits have not changed, if anything I run harder now then when I had my Baja. You want me to lie and say my Baja survived the way I run all my boats? Which by the way isn't any different than the OLs, Sonics, Fountians, Velocitys, Scarabs I routinely run with.

At the time my Baja was a great bang for the buck and I enjoyed running it. Unfortunitely it didn't stay together in the usually big waters of NJ, see the stuff post for an idea of what I boat in every weekend.

Outlaw 24 08-16-2004 08:25 PM

Mr. Velocity, You must not have read my last post. How can you have an opinion on this issue at all due to the fact that you had a 28 foot Baja. The comparison is between a 24 OUTLAW and a 26 foot Velocity. On the issue of rough water the waters of Southern Lake Michigan are never more that 1 foot chop. (Yeah Right) We have boated in rough water every weekend this summer. There have only been 2 days where there have been 1 foot waves or less and usually they are anywhere from 3 - 7 footers and my boat is still in one piece. So my advice don't ripp on 24 OUTLAW's if you do not have a clue what you are talking about!!!!!!!!!!!!

tjvelocity 08-16-2004 08:44 PM

Had a 99 260 great boat. Put a HP500 and Pwr steering. turn up the wick to mid 80s. Youve got to drive them and they are fun.

Phantom1 08-16-2004 08:57 PM

Mr. Velocity, You must not have read my last post. How can you have an opinion on this issue at all due to the fact that you had a 28 foot Baja. The comparison is between a 24 OUTLAW and a 26 foot Velocity. On the issue of rough water the waters of Southern Lake Michigan are never more that 1 foot chop. (Yeah Right) We have boated in rough water every weekend this summer. There have only been 2 days where there have been 1 foot waves or less and usually they are anywhere from 3 - 7 footers and my boat is still in one piece. So my advice don't ripp on 24 OUTLAW's if you do not have a clue what you are talking about!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are right........the 24 OUTLAW is the one.....literally a Skater-killer.

Damn - lighten up.

Dock Holiday 08-16-2004 08:59 PM

Hey Mr. Velocity,

Long time no talk to.

How is the stereo doing in the Ford Pickup?

Hope you have had a good boating season.

Dock

Rippem 08-16-2004 09:13 PM

people that ***** about the Velocity ride generally don't know how to drive/trim them and/or when, or just don't spend enough time at speed with an understanding of how the bottom works, to appreciate what they're capable of. Buy a slower straight V boat that rattles, you'll be happier if this is you. ;)