Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Stuffing a boat can be harmful to your health (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/85176-stuffing-boat-can-harmful-your-health.html)

Rippem 08-13-2004 10:30 PM

Re: Stuffing a boat can be harmful to your health

I would have to guess that structural issues had been building somewhere. From what I understand here, that boat had alot of racing miles on her, which is a testament in itself to Sutphen. At what point do old raceboats get brittle, or have unseen/unknown structural issues? It's not like you can scan them for voids and cracks that aren't apparent to the naked eye.

bob 08-13-2004 10:39 PM

You can see some pics of it running in www.njsportpics.com.

Ron P 08-13-2004 10:59 PM

Does something have to let go or does old glass get brittle?

Rippem 08-13-2004 11:38 PM

Stepp and others have told me that some combinations of layup "go brittle" quicker than others. I mean, just ozone breaks down most rubber and plastics (petrochemicals) some quicker than others, why would the petrochems in boats be any different?...irregardless of the "structural" abuse they see by nature. Is the age dawning where we have for the first time, a realization that fiberglass boats have a finite "lifespan" of safety in use, regardless of how they look cosmetically?

cigarette1 08-14-2004 12:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Probably more to do with construction

skaterw24s 08-14-2004 01:19 AM

To all the gosipers,here's the real deal! It wasn't structural damage that broke the boat apart the boat was in A1 condition.The boat did'nt actually stuff eather.What happened was a little bit of inexperience on the new crew part and the perfect wave condition!The boat lanched off a 6' wave triped and slamed the bow down on the creast of the next wave about 10' back from the bow,the extream G force actually broke the boat in half as if it were cut with a saw.The same kind of condition that breakes 300' tankers in half.The important thing here is the construction of the boat saved the lives of three people.Sutphen is in my opinion one of the best built boats out there,it is a plywood core and stringers are sandwiched plywood also,think of this try to rip a pice of plywood or break it in half...imposible...try to rip or break in half a pice of coring..no problem,if it were a foam cored or balsa cored hull there would be three funerals to attend.I drove this boat from 95 till just a few days ago,I was there but was not in the boat this race.The loss of this great boat and the memories it has bestowed upon me will never be forgoten.Every one in the boat excaped with minor injuries but hurt egoes.Everyone in the Buckshot family appreciates your thoughts and concerns.The only thing I'm wondering is if Richy is willing to donate a new hull so we can get this dame thing back together!!!

Rippem 08-14-2004 01:52 AM

Not a gossiper, friend. Just taking this oppurtunity to open a larger discussion than the end of that one boat. Re-read my post(s)....credit is given to the stout constuction of the Sutphen. Age is age, and racing torture on stucture is well...racing torture on the stucture. Do you have any formidable evidence other than your fist banging on the hull or a look at it cosmetically to say that it (or any other boat) is (was) in perfect structural condition...as new, strong as new? I'm not beating up on the former love of your life...love those classics with character myself, but theres alot of old 'glass being rehabbed and flown these days, and I just wonder if the chit doesn't have a life expectency something short of forever as people seem to think? "Joe recreational" does more f'ups and bad landings than anybody...should he be doing it in a rehabbed 20 year old hull, on it's 7th life, with power (read: speeds) it was never intended to see?

QUESTION IS....DO OLDER HULLS GET BRITTLE OR SUFFER NOT EASILY VISUALIZED CUMULATIVE STRESS ISSUES THAT CAN CONTRIBUTE TO THEM COMING APART?

Buckshot in it's long racing career had no doubt seen it's share of bad landings, trips, and impacts...why this time? SEE QUESTION ABOVE.

I too am glad to hear no one was seriously injured. As with all things material...it can be replaced, life cannot.

SRogers 08-14-2004 07:14 AM

I was at the race and the seas were NOT 3ft
More like 4-6 with big holes

Viper31 08-14-2004 07:41 AM

What an erie site just after the passing of Doug Lewis. Glad everyone is OK. Just goes to show even the strongest built boats can be destroyed in the right situation.

GLH 08-14-2004 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
Cabin hottie in pic 1 :D

Ever the perv... Good Man!