Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Stuffing a boat can be harmful to your health (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/85176-stuffing-boat-can-harmful-your-health.html)

Comanche3Six 08-16-2004 09:18 PM

Re: Stuffing a boat can be harmful to your health

Originally Posted by Ron P
So, how old is Too Old....for a boat to race? 10 years?

There are a lot of variables to that question.....build quality comes to my mind first. And make no assumptions Apache powerboats have it in spades.

jtmiller02 08-16-2004 09:42 PM

An Apache left the race in NC with a hole in it...of course there are differences in quality between boats, but even the best built hull has its limitations. Years of hard use add up, but it doesn't make any difference between a brand new boat or a 20 year old boat, 1 shot bad enough and its done. I don't think Monday morning quarterbacks are going to solve this mystery.

bojoe2 08-16-2004 09:57 PM

just happy to hear all are doing good

Ted G 08-16-2004 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Rippem
GTO in the background?

Nope, 71 Charger.

SHARKEY-IMAGES 08-16-2004 10:01 PM

3 Attachment(s)
It can happen to the best of them...

And with every crash, hopefully we learn something from it.

It seems we have.

I can remember Pt. Pleasant races were notorious for blowing boats apart. When the superboats started experimenting with core materials and try to build light boats, they would come back busted up.

I think in today's laminations, you see far less boats blowing apart. They have certainly got alot better...

SHARKEY-IMAGES 08-16-2004 10:04 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by T2x
Everytime some guy with a 1980-82 Shadow Cat tells me how fast he's running, I have to cringe

T2x

Eventually they need to be retired..... :(

SHARKEY-IMAGES 08-16-2004 10:07 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Waves crushed this 21.

SHARKEY-IMAGES 08-16-2004 10:11 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Some boats have been put through more than they can take and the human body certainly cannot withstand the same treatment.... :(

Rippem 08-16-2004 10:23 PM

Finally, T2x begins to approach my questions about lifespan of fiberglass boats.
Other than impact T2x, what is your opinion about the breakdown of petrochem materials used in layup/constuction due to ozone, changing shape and size repeatedly due to temp changes ect.?

Comanche3Six 08-17-2004 01:36 AM

When you throw the GPS out of a airplane...take it out of the boat first.