Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Thinking of getting an STV - are they a good boat? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/85183-thinking-getting-stv-they-good-boat.html)

waterskipper 08-18-2009 08:53 PM

triad has sold the molds now to full throttle power boats.. the procomp hasent been made since i think 1992ish .. mid 20s will get a very clean 2000 and up (thats what you want there the triad boats in many people eyes the best version). and river rocket has a very small cockpit can be in any confifirtionfrom 2 to 3 to 4 seats.. and euro is the same bottom but a much mor useable boat..... same type of pricing..
Lee

copiercat 08-19-2009 07:33 AM

Triad Euro with a 280, sport master fat shaft gearcase, 7750 rev limiter and hang on !
this would be my 2nd choice. http://forums.screamandfly.com/forum...d.php?t=194429

Quent 08-19-2009 08:21 AM

I had a Mirage that was about an early to mid 1990s. It was the last year that Brad Collins build Mirages in Texas. The configuration was two buckets, one behind the other. With a bone stock 280 the boat ran 119 on gps with a 32 Ron Hill Cleaver. I sold it 6 or so years ago. The boat was named "Nervous Mother" for obvious reasons.

The best part of the boat was not the top end but acceleration. After all that is what you really feel. The Yamaha 26 3 blades were easy to get, relatively cheap and would still run 110 to 112 but with lots of rpms. Driving the boat was easy compared to previous Allisons and Hydrostreams.

I agree that mid $20,000 will get you a fun ride that you'll need to careful with. Also, I agree that you will need 3 well anchored bilge pumps, one in each of the sponsons and one in the center.

I would like to do that again but Mrs. "Nervous" is not a fan. Enjoy. Quent

copiercat 08-19-2009 08:40 AM

Quent, did you sell nervous mother to Itchy in Dothan Alabama ? ran with it many many times, it's a hot rod ! He got married last year and was interested in my Euro.

Catmando 08-19-2009 08:53 AM

I talked with Brad several times about buying one of his boats but I went in another direction. Mirages are hard to find. Those who have them are keeping them, and with good reason.

Quent 08-19-2009 04:14 PM

Copiercat, I did sell Nervous Mother to Itchy in Dothan. He came here to Knoxville in May several years ago and it was misty raining. I launched the boat from my ramp in the back yard and sat him in the back seat. I told him that I would go as fast as he was comfortable and he said let her rip. The drag prop was on it and we ran 110mph or so and I stopped to get the rain out of our eyes.

I ask if he wanted to try and of course he said yes. I had a LED trim indicator and I told Itchy to firewall it and trim til the red light was on 4. He did and we ran about 105 in 15 seconds. He slowed down, turned the engine off and I ask him what he thought. He said,"I'll take it".

You should have seen the boat's namesake, Mrs. Nervous Mother, and her eyes as Itchy drove off with the boat. They weren't misty, just smiling.

That was probably the most adrenalin producing boat out of the 39 that I have had. I turned a Hydrostream VKing over backwards at a little over a 100mph in 1982 so I had some reference point for appreciating this boat. I could come back after driving it, my heart rate was raging and all I wanted to do was get on the trailer and get a beer. Good times.

Quent 08-19-2009 04:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Copiercat, found a picture of the boat and its namesake on the day Itchy bought it. It was the one and only time she sat in it.

JustMercMe 08-20-2009 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Quent (Post 2935165)
Copiercat, I did sell Nervous Mother to Itchy in Dothan. He came here to Knoxville in May several years ago and it was misty raining. I launched the boat from my ramp in the back yard and sat him in the back seat. I told him that I would go as fast as he was comfortable and he said let her rip. The drag prop was on it and we ran 110mph or so and I stopped to get the rain out of our eyes.

I ask if he wanted to try and of course he said yes. I had a LED trim indicator and I told Itchy to firewall it and trim til the red light was on 4. He did and we ran about 105 in 15 seconds. He slowed down, turned the engine off and I ask him what he thought. He said,"I'll take it".

You should have seen the boat's namesake, Mrs. Nervous Mother, and her eyes as Itchy drove off with the boat. They weren't misty, just smiling.

That was probably the most adrenalin producing boat out of the 39 that I have had. I turned a Hydrostream VKing over backwards at a little over a 100mph in 1982 so I had some reference point for appreciating this boat. I could come back after driving it, my heart rate was raging and all I wanted to do was get on the trailer and get a beer. Good times.

Quent, Been wondering what you have been up to. I remember that like it was yesterday! I think Mrs. Nervous went for a walk when we put it in the water if I'm not bad mistaken. Still enjoying the Mirage! Could'nt bear to change the name after you told me the story. Came home with it and shortly after put a 22 yammy on her......Broke the the seat loose a time or 2. She is and has been a great boat. Still running stock heads on 93 octane. I put a polished offshore mid on her with a Sporty gearcase for stength, Found a Mariner cowl to match the grey and put hydraulic steering on last year. Other than that shes just like when I picked her up. Heres a couple of pics....The one of it running was from the South Georgia Showdown in Bainbridge a couple of weeks ago. Got outrun by an Allison Drag.

Itchy

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...ous/Mother.jpg
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...ous/swpq0w.jpg

Have driven light STV's & Q-shots.....This Mirage drives like a Cadillac compared to em!

Quent 08-20-2009 01:56 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Itchy, good to see the old gal is still flying. The offshore midsection really helps the looks along with the new cowl. I am also glad to see that you are staying with the stock heads. After blowing up countless powerheads with racing gas, Alcohol and nitrous, there is nothing like having confidence that you will run every time you go to the water.

I currently have a '07 24 Lavey Craft with a 710 Ilmor. Good piece but really different form the quickness of your Mirage. Here are some pics. Stay safe Itchy. Best regards, Quent

plumbers crack 08-20-2009 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by waterskipper (Post 2934573)
triad has sold the molds now to full throttle power boats.. the procomp hasent been made since i think 1992ish .. mid 20s will get a very clean 2000 and up (thats what you want there the triad boats in many people eyes the best version). and river rocket has a very small cockpit can be in any confifirtionfrom 2 to 3 to 4 seats.. and euro is the same bottom but a much mor useable boat..... same type of pricing..
Lee

Jack barsh full throttle powerboats in jacksonville is making them now.he also races them.He does some nice work ! call him.