Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Everyone in Florida Ok ? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/85187-everyone-florida-ok.html)

CAP071 08-14-2004 05:44 AM

Everyone in Florida Ok ?

Is everyone in Florida OK ? I heard some parts got hit bad? By buddy is trying to reach his grandfather in Punta Gorda. We were told there are death counts rising there from a news story ?

toolman 08-14-2004 06:03 AM

Re: Everyone in Florida Ok ?

I hope so. I have a friend in Northport and we haven't been able to reach him yet.
They said some deaths at a mobile home park because some people didn't listen and evacuate.

Hey cap, how's your boat running this year? We still need to get together on the river sometime.

Toolman
(my governor is a gay american..........YUK)

cig1988 08-14-2004 06:42 AM

What a turn for the worse. Goes to show its next to impossible to predict mother nature. Hope everyone is OK.

OSO Reporter 08-14-2004 06:50 AM

reported 15billion in damages

cuda 08-14-2004 07:21 AM

I'm sure the hurricane center will catch hell for thier prediction. They evacuated the Tampa Bay area and sent the people directly into the path of the storm. They were telling people from the bay area to go east and not north.

SOX 08-14-2004 07:30 AM

I'll keep all these folks in my prayers...

cuda 08-14-2004 07:39 AM

The storm was packing 145 mph winds when it made landfall. It was still a Cat 2 when it reached Orlando.

cuda 08-14-2004 07:48 AM

It's a very sad day in Florida. Punta Gorda was devastated. There is significant loss of life, mostly from people who tried to ride out the storm in mobile homes. After leaving the coast and heading up the state, Orlando took a direct hit. Every building at Orlando International Airport was damaged. From what I'm reading, there wasn't any loss of life reported in Otown.

It's really a sober morning. I'm am relieved that it didn't strike where it was predicted, at least I didn't have to worry about my parents. They ended up having to worry about me, but we were spared when the storm turned east just south of us.

As Mosi pointed out, if it had hit the bay area, the destruction and loss of life would have been much much worse.

These storms are no joke. The people who yesterday were joking and talking about hurricane parties are singing a different tune this morning. Once you've been through a hurricane, your perspective changes.

Now our eyes turn north and we are hoping our northern freinds are spared the worse.

Ange 08-14-2004 07:54 AM

I talked to ChrisK yesterday and he was saying that his parents weren't leave the St. Pete area and that his grandfather was coming to stay with him. I haven't talked to him since but he is in Orlando.

cuda 08-14-2004 08:08 AM

A third of Orlando is without power.