Another fatality, this time, up at the 1000 Islands >

Another fatality, this time, up at the 1000 Islands

Notices

Another fatality, this time, up at the 1000 Islands

Old 08-14-2004, 10:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Another fatality, this time, up at the 1000 Islands

I realize it wasn't the cruisers fault. I can't and will not pin the blame for this on anyone. True that you should be able to see a large cruiser wake but I have to tell you sometimes they are much worse than they look from behind. Especially if the sun is in your eyes. This is a tragedy and me not being there I'm not going to blame anyone. However I get real annoyed at these idiots that won't get on plane because a coffee cup might fall off the table. They just annoy me, there in the way. All I ask is that they do 25. that is cruising speed for most cruisers. It's no wonder the Jet-skis like to follow them. I hope every cruiser that runs at half-plane gets surrounded by jet skis to the point it drives them crazy. And I have to disagree with your very last statement. I don't think they're clueless.

Roby
Old 08-15-2004, 10:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gonna have to side with robyw1 on this one. Except how do they keep a coffe cup on the table at a 45 degree angle? Watch the big cruisers at LOTO. They ride sideways in their seat just to watch their wake slam boats and dock. Thats their excitement for the day.
Old 08-15-2004, 10:55 AM
Registered

Audiofn,

It's too bad that you saw this tragic event. I'm sure you felt helpless, which makes it much worse.
Accidents are terrible things. It's easy to sit back and point the finger at one cause. One accident is too many, right?. The more boats, the more accidents. It's no different than cars.
1000 Islands is a great place to boat. I've been there many times as a "tourist". Go there knowing that you have to SHARE the water with everone else, smart or not.
Old 08-15-2004, 11:01 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very sad. I hate to hear this.

You scared me at first because a good friend is up there from North Carolina with his Spectre Cat.
Old 08-15-2004, 11:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by robyw1
I realize it wasn't the cruisers fault. I can't and will not pin the blame for this on anyone. True that you should be able to see a large cruiser wake but I have to tell you sometimes they are much worse than they look from behind. Especially if the sun is in your eyes. This is a tragedy and me not being there I'm not going to blame anyone. However I get real annoyed at these idiots that won't get on plane because a coffee cup might fall off the table. They just annoy me, there in the way. All I ask is that they do 25. that is cruising speed for most cruisers. It's no wonder the Jet-skis like to follow them. I hope every cruiser that runs at half-plane gets surrounded by jet skis to the point it drives them crazy. And I have to disagree with your very last statement. I don't think they're clueless.

Roby
I don't think Jon meant the cruiser was clueless about running the boat, I think he meant they were unaware of the disaster behind them. Correct me if I'm wrong Jon.
Old 08-15-2004, 12:08 PM
Registered

Jon,

Just a point of verification. You were on the Saint Lawrence River. The poker run never went onto Lake Ontario. We stopped to help an OL that looked to be on fire. We approached while still billowing with smoke but they waved us off to say rescue was not needed. We stayed and waved my red safety flag to keep fast approaching boats at bay. If anyone has any info as to what actually happened etc., please let me know.
Old 08-15-2004, 02:03 PM
jb
Registered

please dont speculate. the 26 AO was friend and the guy in the fountain who pulled the young lady out was also a friend. Three boats were running along side (give or take) when the cat pulled ahead and the accident occurred. More details will follow I am sure in an official press release. Audio, It surely had to be very difficult to watch this accident happen. My condolences to the families involved...
Yes The 1000 islands can be very dangerous in the main channels...as with every other place in the world that has high traffic.
Old 08-15-2004, 03:10 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

So does this make you realize that wearing life jackets at all times isn't a bad idea?

Did anyone notice in the PB coverage of the NY Poker run how few participants wore live jackets? Isn't it the minimum you can do? Oh and don't forget the lanyard to the kill switch.

These things happen without warning. You must be prepared ahead of time.
Old 08-15-2004, 03:16 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

I've been less than faithful about a jacket, though I am wearing my tether more all the time.

I was a seat belt rebel forever too, though working trauma at the E.R. has opened my eyes as well. I've seen the results of belted vs. not-belted many, many times. There's no question in my mind anymore.
Old 08-15-2004, 03:24 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.news10now.com/content/all...25980&SecID=83

Quick Reply: Another fatality, this time, up at the 1000 Islands

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.