Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Another fatality, this time, up at the 1000 Islands (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/85210-another-fatality-time-up-1000-islands.html)

BonnieOutlaw 08-18-2004 06:24 AM

Re: Another fatality, this time, up at the 1000 Islands

Is there an update on her condition? I've looked in the news and haven't seen anything....although I did see some new articles about a man with one too many dogs and something different about a cat. I'm a little annoyed because clearly this is more important - her life that is.

mcollinstn 08-18-2004 08:22 AM

I am saddened by the news.
I also wonder about the condition of the woman, but nowadays you can tell the hospital to NOT release any information about you. This may be the case for whatever reason. I hope she is going to be well.

As far as the tirades against and about boat wakes and such, it is simply a part of the world of boating. Just like when you just get through washing your car and pull out on a nice day to find mud stripes across the road from a concrete truck...

I run cruisers.
I run performance boats.
I run little high speed outboards.
I run PWCs.

I assure you that you can (should be able to) tell when there's a big cruiser wake ahead. As many times as I have actively sought them out, I promise that they are easy to spot. If you like jumping big air (like me) then you know how to make your adjustments coming up on them. If you don't like jumping big air, then you need to know how to change your approach/speed/angle to get them behind you as easily as possible.

I, for one, love big boat wakes cause I love to jump them. You may one day read about me in a wake jumping accident because I realize that nothing is guaranteed in this life. I don't know if the AO intended to launch, or if it was inadvertent, but there is no good reason for him to have NOT seen or noticed the boat wake. I understand that he is an experienced boater (from earlier posts) and make no guesses as to the cause of the event. But I tend to shy away from BLAMING the cruiser operator, clueless or not (and it sounds like he WAS clueless if he did not stop to help).

I am sad to hear of the loss of a quality individual in a boating accident. But it was an accident. Could he have done something differently to have affected the outcome? Of course, just as is th case in every motor vehicle accident. But second guessing now does nothing. To use this event as a learning experience for the rest of us may be helpful though.

As far as cruiser wakes, there certainly IS a law regarding damage, injury, and loss of property due to boat wakes. The issue, though, is that the TEETH of this law require that it be shown that the cruiser (or offending boat wake maker) be irresponsibly producing a dangerous wake for the conditions at the time. There are lots of factors involved there.

If the cruiser is in the channel/open waters, and is farther than the required distance from no wake zones, docks, other boats, swimming areas, etc. then it is difficult to show irresponsibility regardless of what kind of plowhog he is being.

I have MANY MANY MANY times, been running between 30 and 40 in my cruiser and all of a sudden come across a guy in a 9' jon boat tied to a tree branch 3 feet off a rock bluff right in the channel. Jon Boats are usually duckhunter green and are dang hard to spot. The guy is usually wearing a black tee shirt, too. I ALWAYS chop the sticks and try to get the water calm for him, but they still usually curse you up one side and down the other. I never run at plow speeds (unless it is specifically for a pack of jetskis), and never run fast in residential fingers, even when they are plenty wide and busy. There are boats (like some mentioned in some previous posts) who decide to raft together IN THE CHANNEL IN THE MIDDLE OF THE LAKE. I see them often. If I am "going somewhere" (which means I am running 30) then sometimes I bear to the opposite side of the channel and rock on. If they have no better sense than to choose that location to park, then they'd better know how to tie together securely.

contd next post

mcollinstn 08-18-2004 08:45 AM

Any "rafting area" like a shore, sandy beach, location off the channel, etc, I will slow for every time. There's one area, though, that has a sand beach 50 yards off the channel. For years, people have had the sense to throw out an anchor and coast in. They pull a bow line to the shoreline trees and let the boat float on the stern anchor and bow line in about 3 feet of water. Been like this for years. Recent fools have begun to pull their noses up on the sand and park 6 inches from each other. While I DO pull off plane and below plow for that area, the commercial barge traffic does NOT slow down or coast through there. In fact, it is a direction change for them and the resulting turn thrusting HAMMERS the boats together. I've watched it happen, and I've watched the clueless idjits scream and shake their fists at the barge pilot. Duh.

My lake has several large yachts that can only run maybe 18mph. And these guys run 18 mph all over the lake with their 90,000 pound boat knocking out some HUGE rollers. I say "deal with it". They got just as much a right to run 18 as the fishermen do fishing 16 inches off a rock bluff in a channel and the idjits do rafting in the center of the channel.

If there's a shooting range, do you throw out a picnic blanket right in the middle of it? I guess there's no law that says you can't but common sense should take over.

Boating is a world that has the whole gamut of societal categories.

Hatfields and McCoys.
Rednecks.
Wannabes.
Primadonnas.
Posers.
Maniacs.
Grumps.
and "the Offended".

There's never going to be universal love on the water.

Everybody thinks that the "other guy" is wrong.

I'm comfortable with the idea that I'm ALWAYS WRONG, and I deal with it just fine.

If I see you out anchored in the channel, I'll still probably slow down to 6 knots. But if you don't look adequately appreciative, then you'd better be gone when I come back through or your world may get rocked.

mcollinstn 08-18-2004 08:47 AM

I just read the memorium of John in Axa's post.

Dang, sounds like a great guy.
I'll add his friends and family to my prayers.

robyw1 08-18-2004 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by mcollinstn
Boating is a world that has the whole gamut of societal categories.

Hatfields and McCoys.
Rednecks.
Wannabes.
Primadonnas.
Posers.
Maniacs.
Grumps.
and "the Offended".

I wonder which one of those I fall under.

Roby

robyw1 08-18-2004 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by mcollinstn
My lake has several large yachts that can only run maybe 18mph. And these guys run 18 mph all over the lake with their 90,000 pound boat knocking out some HUGE rollers. I say "deal with it".

I'm gonna deal with it alright...With some spare-air and a cresent wrench

No offense at you intended mcollinstn

Roby

JROMY 08-18-2004 03:25 PM

Here's a little more information.

http://www.syracuse.com/search/index....xml?syrneocit

mcollinstn 08-18-2004 08:47 PM

none taken.

SHARKEY-IMAGES 08-29-2004 05:37 PM

Still no word on this woman's condition? I am sure by now someone must of heard something..... :confused:

BonnieOutlaw 08-30-2004 06:43 AM

I asked a week ago and I heard (let me reiterate HEARD) that she is fine. I haven't been able to confirm that with anybody though...which is why I didn't post it. If someone can confirm that, please do.