Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Any marinized Ford Flathead experts here? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/85270-any-marinized-ford-flathead-experts-here.html)

CBR 08-15-2004 10:37 PM

Any marinized Ford Flathead experts here?

Any marinized Ford Flathead experts here? My brother is building a flathead powered wooden boat from scratch. He is an artist in woodworking so I am sure it will be awesome.

Any suggested internet links/books discussing superchargers on marinized flatheads, prop selection etc?

Cord 08-16-2004 09:17 AM

Re: Any marinized Ford Flathead experts here?

I havn't found a single one. Nothing. If you can stick to a standard size shaft (1"?), you may be able to find a used one off a V-drive. Otherwise you can have the prop custom built. Menkins is one name that comes to mind. I've researched the blower on a flatty option extensively. There is one guy that is offering a kit (I can't recall his name right now), but it's a little contemporary. You might find a link on Red's headers. The only guy that supposedly still has the intake to mount a GMC blower is Navaro (sp). A 4:71 would be perfect. Good luck finding the 3 pot carb setup. Big $$. The little scoops that you sometimes see are still available.

shifter 08-16-2004 12:33 PM

I have a friend that has a vintage 1936 boat that needs one. It used a 427 with a huber last. He needs a complete motor with headers heat exchangers ect...
If there is anyone out there with something please PM me.

I am going to see Chuck Daigh and I will let you know what is up from him. He was ford factory in 56 racing flatties.
Pat W

shifter 08-16-2004 12:40 PM

I will get the info on the blowers to you or just check with Tom Roberts 805 644 8899 He just finished a new blower kit Magnison type (Eaton) Heads too.
pat W

CBR 08-16-2004 10:31 PM

Super, thanks for the info!

GregP 08-17-2004 12:05 PM

For flat motor stuff go to www.speedwaymotors.com, or call. The owner is really into vintage motors too.

-Greg

OLDRAT 08-17-2004 01:17 PM

CBR,

There is a shop in Southborough, MA. that caters to the restorers of old
marine engines (and other old vintage iron). It is J & M Machine Company

Think the website is: www.jandm-machine.com

OR

CBR 08-17-2004 09:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for a ton of great info....this is what he is planning to build from scratch, and if it is anything like his cedar strip kayaks, it will be almost too nice to actually use....