Notices

Hurricane Relief

Old 08-18-2004, 10:06 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Hurricane Relief

Received this from a buddy today.

The following is message from Wendle Capps the Director of the Disaster Relief efforts for Samaritan's Purse. Please consider passing this information along to folks from your churches or others that you know who have a caring heart and want to help. They can contact Wendle by calling the numbers listed below for the office in Boone.
Dear Teams:

We are here and working. We are staying at South Biscayne Baptist Church in North Port, Florida. We are working in Punta Gorda, Florida (Ground Zero). Things are moving along, but things are slowly getting started as far as providing accommodation services for volunteers right now. Housing is tight, but we have showers and plenty of food and water. Once we reach ground zero, things get pretty tight after that, there is no electricity, bath rooms and you can’t buy anything. It is extremely hot, the humidity is high, and conditions are tough. We are working and doing well, and we are expecting large numbers of teams to come in.

The conditions for the victims are a poor elderly section of Punta Gorda. Again, they have no electricity or any normal living conditions and probably won’t have it for the next three weeks. It is a very emotional sight to see the elderly trying to stay cool around tree trunks as what trees are left have been striped of leaves and limbs.

We do need everyone to be patient as this will be a long term event. We are bringing our second Disaster Relief Unit and additional staff from Boone. We also want to remind everyone, this is a very tough and hard condition, with no fans or air conditioning!

We also appreciate all the prayers that we know and feel that you are sending up on our behalf, we do ask that you continue to pray for the victims and for all the teams that are working very hard.

Blessings,

Wendle Capps

Regional Director North America

Samaritan's Purse

PO Box 3000

Boone, NC 28607

Phone 828/262-1980

Fax 828/266-1055
Old 08-18-2004, 02:32 PM
Transplanted to KS
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got off the phone with Suntrust Bank.
All donations can be sent to all Tampa branch locations.
They need to addressed to the Teller Dept and the check needs to made out to: United Way Corp. FBO Hurricane Charley.

Locations are as follows:

SUNTRUST FINANCIAL CENTRE OFFICE
401 EAST JACKSON STREET, TAMPA, FL 33602

Hyde Park
601 W. Platt Street, Tampa, FL 33606

Harbour Island
800 Harbour Island Blvd, Tampa, FL 33602
Old 08-18-2004, 02:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good Info, Carrie!
Old 08-18-2004, 05:26 PM
Registered

Thanks all !!! These people really need some help. I just got back up from Sarasota and met Keith Muncy " A Class Velocity / PAL" and a few others. What a GREAT bunch of people working VERY hard getting the supplies to those in need. I had a truck load of clothes, diapers,diaperash creme, tooth paste, water, and other food items. When I was shopping I saw some little dolls for a buck a piece, so I had to buy a case of them. Hopefully it will put a smile on some kids faces. I'm trying to get another load down there before Friday. Thanks again and thanks to Keith and all his group for organizing this. Great Job, Keith !!! For info you can call Lt. Keith Muncy, The Police Athletic League of Sarasota, 941-316-8108. Dave Warden
Old 08-18-2004, 07:47 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

For what it's worth ice is steadily on its way. We were contracted to ship 80 full trailer loads from Long Island alone. The trucks have been directed to Lakeland airport for staging. We have 4 trucks that will be there Thursday and many more to follow. If you happen to see trailers that sport fragrance advertisements like Michael Jordan, Royal Copanhaigen,Bijon, those would be my trucks. It's only a small contribution but hope this helps. Stan.
Old 08-18-2004, 08:51 PM
Registered

Thanks Stan !!!! Everything is appreciated. I hope to buy you a beer some time. Dave Warden
Old 08-18-2004, 09:24 PM
Registered

I am a manager with Amsouth Bank. My local Kiwanis club is setting up an account tommorow for relief. We will be in contact with a Kiwanis club in Charlotte county for direction on distributing funds, ie; send money, purchase (hard to find down there) supplies and deliver, a very large cookout one day open to any residents and vollunteers in the area, etc.

For info, I can be contacted [email protected]
Old 08-19-2004, 05:15 AM
Registered

If you shop at Winn Dixie or Publix grocery stores you can add a donation to your grocery bill. The local news here said Winn Dixie's program was to "even up" your bill. I don't usually shop there so I don't know if you can add however much money you want. At Publix you can donate how much money you would like. If you want to donate through Publix and your cashier doesn't know what to do like mine did the code she'll need to enter is 5029 (could be 5039) and then however much money you want to donate. Your receipt will say Charley Relief.

Last edited by Sin-D; 08-19-2004 at 04:42 PM.
Old 08-19-2004, 05:35 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The Long Island ice has landed. The 1st truck is at Lowes distribution center off Hambrown rd in Poiciana. The 2nd is at some shopping mall in Kissemee. Cant miss the trailers, Look for a huge fragrance advertisement on the trailers.
Old 08-19-2004, 09:02 AM
Registered

Thanks again to all that have helped. I'm taking another load down on Friday. Dave Warden