Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Looking for the right boat (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/85319-looking-right-boat.html)

JnT 08-16-2004 09:01 PM

Re: Looking for the right boat

Let her help pick the boat.She will be able to spot items that you will overlook during your shopping.Tell her to talk you out of buying each boat you look at.Write down every reason.Go home and think about it.Write out pros and cons.Narrow down your choices .Definitely include her in the buying process.

32storm 08-16-2004 09:29 PM

I drove a 28 Donzi with twin small blocks before I bought my Hustler. The Donzi was very nicely built and rigged. But, the ride was not as good as the Formula with twin small blocks that I had, and the handling was OK. In addition, I found the cockpit was cramped and with little storage. I also was not impressed by the cabin. Keep in mind that this is only a 27' & change OAL with the molded in swim platform. At the time, I was disappointed as I could have bought the boat very cheaply( owner was motivated and just wanted out). But, regardless of how good the deal, I just didn't like it.

shiftgreen 08-16-2004 10:10 PM

well, she really really wants a 33zx, and if thats the case, then we will have to figure out the money situation. I do like the active thunder but won't the wind be a problem with no windscreen or windsheild? Im not all that concerned with the speed and all that I was just asking those, really I do just want a HP boat that we will enjoy.
thanks for the quick responses !

Byrdman 08-17-2004 12:12 AM

35 cafe racer mid to late 90s fills in most of your requirements

ActiveThunderTodd 08-17-2004 12:25 AM

as far as no wind screen....yes the wind blows, but you can always add wind deflectors...i never did cause i love the wind in my face....would never own a motorcycle with a windsheild either...:D

CBR 08-17-2004 12:44 AM

Yes, take the wife when shopping. Pick a no wind day to do a test if the wife is with you, otherwise go out on the worst day!

Wife demanded an enclosed head, I thought it did not matter. Now that we cruise for ten days at a time, she was right!

Pretty tough to go wrong with a Sonic 30/31, just try to buy a used one in good shape! I "lost" three before I finally got mine.

Big blocks will have better resale value and will be easier to sell if you decide to switch boats in the future, no doubt about it. I have twin scorpion small blocks, they look and sound cool, but it is hard to go wrong with "always get the biggest engine." Which boat/engine combo would you buy first if shopping used performance boats?

DO NOT GET alpha drives, TRS or other "wacky drives" make sure they are Bravos, unless you are throttle to the wall all the time. Then you want to get surface drives. Upgraded steering is good to get also, expensive if you decide to add it in later. Don't get carb motors, make sure they are fuel injected modern blocks! (Oh I know I am going to hear it on this one!)

Good luck and have fun!

thedonz 08-17-2004 03:25 AM

You Can Make Any Engine Sound Mean. But In My Opion It's Dum For Them To Sound Mean If They Really Don't Move. If I Was Look For A 2000 And Up In Your Price Range I Would Go With Either A 28 Panter Or A 33 Powerplay

Donz Jr Mike

OldSchool 08-17-2004 06:14 AM

How about Lucky Strikes TopGun? :eureka: It's in the classifieds. :D :D

Slick02 08-17-2004 06:59 AM

Its all personal preference,,,find what you like spend your money and take your chances,,,,research is a wonderful thing,,do lots,,,personally liked the Formula products,,but thats just an opinion..I've gone through 10 boats in the last 15 years and came back to a Formula a second time,,if your interested I've got an 02 292 Fastech that I'd sell in your price range.(I want to buy a PC Formula)
Nick