Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   nitromethane (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/85467-nitromethane.html)

97BossHammer 08-19-2004 04:47 PM

Re: nitromethane

oh yeah I forgot that part haha....thats the most important line.

Strip Poker 388 08-19-2004 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by 97BossHammer
one request.........you must yell out "hey watch this".......before firing her up.

You better get a video and also do it at night :eek: .Fire and explosions at night is pretty.

O yea the girls like scars and burns it shows your tuff :D

Chernobyl all over again :D

articfriends 08-19-2004 05:16 PM

I used to build the motor for a local circle track team. I did all the tuning for the motor,355 chevy, they always wanted to run power addittives and i refused(they had wrecked every motor they had in a few nights of racing before i started helping them. So a big race night came and our major sponsor was going to be there and i agreed to let them run some,i told them NO WITCHES BREW,buy something out of the national magazines,follow the jetting,timing etc recommendations. Well,the car owner (who always figured the best time to start getting car ready for fri night was thurs night after every parts store was closed) waited until thursday afternoon to try to overnight air some stuff out of a place in texas,well duh,YOU CAN"T OVERNIGHT AIR FLAMMABLE LIQUIDS!!! So,being the GENIOUS he was he figured,why not just go to local rc store and buy some nitro,it must be really close to what pro-blend uses?!! And further more,they had it in various mixes,20%,30%,etc,so he bought the 70 percent nitro,30 percent methanol (more is better right?!!!). Well,i was unaware of any of this,he figured a whole gallon of it to ten gallons of gas would probably be real good Too. By the time i got to the track in the middle of qualifying,they already had car back on the trailer,they managed to completely destroy the pistons,valves cylinder heads,crank,block etc. They had the gall to ask me what could have happened to the motor? I quizzed them and they said "we added A LITLLE BIT OF THIS STUFF" as i picked up the empty 1 gallon can!!!! I NO LONGERR HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH THEM and the moral of the story is if you really want to try this stuff,buy some problend,jet it REAL rich and start out with just a little bit!!Smitty

HyperBaja 08-19-2004 05:42 PM

Nigel, dont be near my house when this goes off. I cant get in that much trouble again. Video tape it though.

PorscheSpeed 08-19-2004 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by HyperBaja
Video tape it though.

ok how do you post a vid? do you have to be a paying member? for the price it costs me to join up i could get another gallon of nitro :eek: :rolleyes:

mcollinstn 08-19-2004 11:06 PM

You can't just dump crap in the tank and run it without rejetting and possibly changing the ignition timing...

The exception, and one that may prove to work well for you, is some of the new oxygenated race fuels such as NuTec. On a 130 horse racebike these fuels are good for an additional 4 to 6 horsepower. You can definitely feel the difference.

And they are around $9/gallon.

free 08-19-2004 11:14 PM

Call a VP racing fuel expert, tell them what you want to put it in and they will fix you up with a safe correct mixture for your gasoline.

I am using CP12 mixed with gasoline in my boat and it runs flawlessly without any fear of detonation.

The exhaust fumes will make your eyes water tho as will the price.

mcollinstn 08-19-2004 11:41 PM

Nitromethane burns at around 1.7:1 fuel air ratio.
Gasoline burns at around 12.5:1.

You CAN add nitromethane to gasoline, but it does require being "shook up" immediately before using. You won't see much benefit unless you run more than 10% nitro, but you'll have to jet up a LOT. Above 10% nitro, you'll also have to change ignition timing.

Nitro is pretty violent. And if you ever drop an intake valve running nitro, you'll likely blow the carb body apart.

Ten parts premium unleaded.
Two parts nitromethane.
One part acetone.
Some Marvel Mystery Oil.

You're good to go.

Firewalker 08-20-2004 08:09 AM

Try VP C44 or C46 banned everywhere, makes BIG power

raiseyourdrive 08-20-2004 08:23 AM

porschespeed,

You might consider abandoning the search for nitromethane and consider an alternative like toluene. It will give you the boost you desire, is a lot easier on your engine, and you can mix it much more safely. If you really want to continue down this road of destruction I will be at the shootout and will bring you a couple of gallons which you can safely mix with gas.