NH ..Union leader Not Objective!!! >

NH ..Union leader Not Objective!!!

Notices

NH ..Union leader Not Objective!!!

Old 08-19-2004, 08:43 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: NH ..Union leader Not Objective!!!

BI~

Here you go, I sent this letter to the editor earlier this afternoon... and yes, I signed it too!!

Dear Ed.~

I am appalled at the article I just read on "big boats cause concern..." in todays paper. As someone who has been "summering" on the big lake since I was 10 mo. old, as well as our family being long time water-front property owners I have to say that the contents of this article are not only inaccurate but unfairly biased against the "performance boater". The problem and concern do NOT lie within the big, go-fast boats so much as with the big power-cruiser boat owner. Speed is - and should be - less of a concern for the overall health and welfare of the lake, where as boaters like Paul and Shelly who own a 41 foot Regal "cruiser" pose the greatest concern. A cruiser that size will and does leave behind a wake that could swamp most boats under 20', not to mention the resulting possible damage from that wake to boats tied to a dock near by. How is it that Roger Amsden can write this article and use people like Paul & Shelly as an example of the "good" or "right" boater on the lake, and not do real research to find / see the bigger problem. I think that Roger needs to not only spend some actual time on the lake, but he also needs to spend some time sitting on a few docks and watching what happens as these cruisers pass by. The "bigger, faster" boats are - as a large majority - a well skilled courteous group, the cruiser set... I can't say the same for. Watch what happens when a 35' + cruiser goes by at 15-25mph, (their typical cruise speed) and witness the size of the wake left behind. Now watch the 35' + "go fast" boat go by at their cruise speed, (typically 35-45 mph), and see the wake they leave behind. I will promise you that every time, the cruiser poses a much greater danger and hazard with it's wake than the performance boat does!! Additionally, the cruiser requires much more space to pass a given area / boater as it is considerably wider than your "fast boat" is. Not to mention it takes much less effort and time to redirect a performance boat - in the event of an emergency - than it does a 10 ton cruiser!! Everyone likes to pick on the performance boater, I can't tell you how many times I have run down to the dock to fend off my boat from getting bounced around because a big, floating condo just came cruising by and left me a giant wake to deal with.

If you are going to publish / write an article, have your people look at ALL the facts and issues that are involved with the subject at hand, and not skew the material unfairly in one direction. Not all performance boaters are saints, I know. But as a majority they are a courteous and HIGHLY skilled set, and their craft poses much less of a real problem than you have eluded to! Conversely, not all cruiser owners are bad, but just by the design alone of that type of boat, they have no way to avoid the wakes they leave behind. They can be skilled as an owner / driver but that does not change the design of the boat, and the resulting wake. Roger may think that the "80 mph boat" belongs offshore because it is called an "offshore" boat, but I disagree! Show me where or why a 41' - or larger - cruiser deserves a happy home on the lake and the performance boat does not!! Get your facts straight and publish an article that is accurate and unbiased, otherwise don't waste the ink and keep this propaganda from circulating!

Could you tell I was a bit torqued up when I wrote that!?!?
Old 08-19-2004, 08:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very well said !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-19-2004, 09:43 PM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by damdonzi
Show me one major boating area that is not less crowded during the week than it is on the weekend. The sail boaters on winnipesaukee.com must be having a field day with this by now.
I just realized that I am no longer able to post on winnipesaukee.com. I guess my brief history of disagreeing with the blow boaters was too much for them.
Pr*cks.
Old 08-20-2004, 05:45 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DoTheMath
BI~

Here you go, I sent this letter to the editor earlier this afternoon... and yes, I signed it too!!

Could you tell I was a bit torqued up when I wrote that!?!?
That Is awesome!!Very well said!!!!I have a friend on the lake W/a 40 ICBM
who has been stopped 15 times in 2 years !!show me a cruiser or 20 something bow rider with that # of stops..He Was a former Hillsboro county sheriff and Marine Patrol officer...(He has Had IT!) He is going for DB test # 3 sunday W/lawyer in tow and when he passes I going to Put Marine Patrol in there place! He also grew up on the lake and owns property... ant cant take it any more.. There are a lot of contributing factors to the lake problems and Go fast boats are not the common denominator! I think some one needs to tell fays that and unless Im wrong the other two guys slip at silver sands (they have more go fasts on the lake than anyone) nothing like throwing stones when your in the glass house !

Ill look for that in the Union Rag!
We also called the union leader to give them a heads up on My ICBM Buddy's story lets see if they publish that!
Bob
Old 08-20-2004, 07:53 AM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally , I'm for banning sail boats. Did you ever hear them on a breezy night in a marina?? clank , clank , clank , clank , clank....it's enough to drive you bonkers

Lets hear it.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:02 AM
Registered
Gold Member

I just got a reply from the Union Leader Editor, and it reads:

Hi...good letter, except we need it to be trimmed to approximately 200 words plus we need your complete address and telephone number. Thanks, Greg Andruskevich, letters editor

Hmmm, ok so I'll give him my address and phone #. As for the 200 words, any suggestions!?
Old 08-20-2004, 09:14 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There some seriously intellectually challenged people on that winni website...
Old 08-20-2004, 09:38 AM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by DoTheMath
I just got a reply from the Union Leader Editor, and it reads:

Hi...good letter, except we need it to be trimmed to approximately 200 words plus we need your complete address and telephone number. Thanks, Greg Andruskevich, letters editor

Hmmm, ok so I'll give him my address and phone #. As for the 200 words, any suggestions!?
Great news! I would delete the direct criticism of the paper If you are going to publish / write an article... and focus on the discrimitive opinion of the subject. Stick with the fact that the floating condo throws a monster wake...How about inviting on a ride in an offshore boat on a week-end, show the difference in wakes?

Last edited by CMG; 08-20-2004 at 09:59 AM.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:41 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Nick~

You have nooooooooooooo idea!!! Those folks are just morons! Plain and simple, almost frightening. There is a guy on there that goes by "Skip", kind of the Winni boards version of Troutly - (he's in law enforcement), (of course Trout almost always has value to add here ) but this guy just thinks that his word is gospel and nothing else matters... ok, so he is really like Troutly!! {Just kidding bud ;} ) People here think we are hard on the newbies, those guys gang up on the newbies over there and if your not a tree-hugger conservative all is well in a kayak and eat wheat grass nature lover, don't waste your time.

CMG~

Nice idea, I'm taking notes here in order to make the most of my 200 words, keep 'em coming. Thanks.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:54 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's crazy, I read a few threads on there and the mentality of these people is insane. Just because they show up on the lake or maybe have a plot on the lake, they seem to believe that only their form of boating is acceptible. I couldn't believe the thread on the poker run. wtf?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.