Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Islamorada Fla. Question's (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/85564-islamorada-fla-questions.html)

mama tryed 08-20-2004 06:24 AM

Islamorada Fla. Question's

This year instead of making our annual Pull to Key West, We have decided to stay at Islamorada and make a go of it. We found a Beautiful 3 story Rental on the Ocean Side, Water front with Dockage!!!!!
Nobody in our Group has Boated in the Area, except for passing through on the Key West Poker Run, so my 1st Question is, have any of you Boated in that area very much? Are there any "Bad" area's that aren't marked to watch out for? The House we are staying at has several Pontoons that are avil. and we are wondering if we need to go that route instead of dragging Three Boats down there.

Thanks,, Mitchell

WickedWon 08-20-2004 07:37 AM

Re: Islamorada Fla. Question's

Mama, first time there I'd suggest renting something with a shallow draft untill ya get familiar ( the bottoms all Coral and rock, VERY unforgiving) Remember the best boating ( and watering holes :drink: ) are on the bay side and are in VERY shallow water at low tide. Some of the best boating, eating and drinking in the world is within 15 miles of Islamorada and most days you don't need much of a boat to enjoy the bay side.

Hey Mike how ya been ? The Concept has been even better and more fun than I expected, I love the freak'n thing, I've been running the crap out of it and doing nothing to it and THAT RULES !!!!

JD

Wally 08-20-2004 08:16 AM

We spent New Years there a few years back. Have to go hit the Tiki Bar by boat..great place! :D I would go to the BoatUS store near by and get a current chart like mentioned above and bring a spare impeller or two just to be safe. I ran aground on some soft sand while idleing out of a channel....luck for me i was able to back off it but it was unnerving none the less!!! Just ask some of the local aroudn there if theres anything you should be aware of. :) Have fun

rchevelle71 08-20-2004 08:41 AM

As wicked mentioned........

Its Tricky, if its your first time, I wouldnt use a boat that you liked.

Also, Yes, Hit the Tiki Bar!!!!

FountainCS 08-20-2004 09:55 AM

I've boated there and the Atlantic side is easy, Hawk's Channel is a piece of cake. The gulf side however is quite opposite. Even charts are tough. You can be 3 miles out with and it will all of a sudden be 2 feet deep. I would get a current set of charts and stick with em. Ask the locals too. At Holiday Isle on Islamorada there are a bunch of charter boats, I'm sure they could help you out. There is a sand bar off of Holiday Isle on the Atlantic side that rages on the weekends. Have fun and good luck.

Ms PatriYacht 08-20-2004 11:11 AM

Make sure you do sunset at Lorelies, that's a good spot :drink:
Sorry I don't know about the boating just the :drink: :D have fun

Tonto 08-20-2004 12:07 PM

Mitchell,
When you get a chart, call me; 770-720-3241 H,770-363-2185 C, I can set you up with where to go and what to watch out for. Like WW said, it's some of the best boating in the Keys. Snooks, Snappers, Papa Joes, Islamarada Fish Co., some bar at Key Colony, Hawks Cay, Smugglers in Snake Creek, etc., etc., etc.
You can also get in touch with my buddy, Carl Hansen at Plantation Boat Mart, he lives in Key Largo and knows the area REAL good. Plus they got a couple of APACHES down there and the owners LOVE to go out and run around. I would also check to see if the place you are renting KNOWS if they have enough water to get your boat in and out at LOW tide. Remember, SIX feet of water in the Keys is considered DEEP :eek:

Robert

MrCIG 08-20-2004 05:29 PM

I'd hire Robert to go with you. Hell of an entertainment director and guide.

I'd never go without him or Michael leading the way.

Mark

Tonto 08-20-2004 06:12 PM

Mark,
Thanks for the compliment :drink: , I'd just hate for someone to go to the Keys and rip the bottom off their boat needlessly. Some of us don't mind banging the bottom to get where we want to go, but others might object. I can assure you that I will think LONG and HARD before I put my boat back in salt water :eek: don't want the salt rot on the new engines/drives. See ya'll in a few weeks, GET READY TO PARTY...................Oh yeah, I'm getting married also, but it will be one HELLUVA party :drink: :drink: :drink:

Robert

Ron P 08-20-2004 08:01 PM

Make sure you go the Whale Harbour for the seafood buffet - killer meal!