Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Opinions on stepped hull Baja's (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/85587-opinions-stepped-hull-bajas.html)

cigarette1 08-21-2004 01:51 PM

Re: Opinions on stepped hull Baja's

Originally Posted by Troutly
Steps son!....Steps!! :crazy:

Durr :drool:

IDRPSTF 08-21-2004 02:06 PM

I think a better question would be "Why do you need to turn a boat in such a mannor, and at such a speed that having steps or not would ever be an issue?" Hmmm?
Other than in a race, why would you turn a large offshore style boat at over 35mph into a steep turn?
Everyone is so concerned about steps vs. safety. How about not whipping a large boat around in the first place? That seems to add a bit more safety to the equation than cutting out steps in the hull.
I have been running these boats for long enough to pose this question. And I honestly mean it as a question. When I sold boats in the past I taught people to slow down and re-trim before turning. So fallowing that theory, do steps even matter?

Hydrocruiser 08-21-2004 02:46 PM

I got a chance earlier this season to put a used 42' Fountain with 575's through the paces. Drives out, taper off the throttle in the apex of the turn back on the throttles; 45 mph sharp turns are a no brainer in that boat if you can get comfy with leaving the drives out during the turn. I played and tried a rather fast turn while tucking the drives in and the boat tends to nose dive and start pulling out in the back, pulled the drives back out and scooted through the rest of the turn. Very safe boat easy fast and sharp turns if you know what you are doing. I never turn sharp at speeds above 45 mph anyways unless of an emergency.

Reggie's website offers a "win a sea-trial" to Cancun on his 42' boat now. I would take him up on the offer if you "win" he wins! Reggie makes a great performance hull.

So my opinion on steps is they are a good thing on a Baja or any well designed boat; if you take a moment to learn boat handling 101 over again. It's worth it.

outlawinil 08-21-2004 03:18 PM

OHHHH!! here i thought it was going to be a picture of a Baja in Troutly's collection

Steve Zuckerman 08-21-2004 09:18 PM

Does anyone know why the Baja/Skater stepped hull deal fell apart? It was my understanding that Baja was considering racing F2, but realized they wouldn't be competitive with any of their current hulls in that size range, and commissioned Skater to build them a racing prototype.
It looks like Baja's loss is Skater's gain. Spiderman is smokin' fast.
Could the king of tunnels be the future king of vees too?
Regards,
Steve

testdrv321 08-21-2004 09:42 PM

Answer to why you would make a tight turn at speed... not sure what it is like where you boat, here on LI, Great South Bay is shallow and the channels have some tight turns, the main channel from the mainland to Fire Island where all the bars are and such has a 150 degree turn around the end of a sand bar. Not sure how you guys like to drive, but I'm not going to slow down to 30 so I can make the turn. We also have tons of crab traps (lobster pots) out here and with 2' chop they can be hard to see until you are nearly on top of them and you do not want to catch the line in your props. Steps are by design running on ball bearings, they run fast and loose. Therefore they are more likely to spin.

Byrdman 08-21-2004 10:51 PM

Why turn a large offshore boat in such a manner??? Because you see some big waves you want to go trash on,because you see a boat way over there you want to get and and run him down,because you just ran someone then you gotta turn around and get the dude runnin the other way ,the list goes on...mainly cause you have to FEED YOUR BRAIN. I wish i had steps,by the way we do not endanger other boaters...just ourselves!

cigarette1 08-21-2004 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by testdrv321
Answer to why you would make a tight turn at speed... not sure what it is like where you boat, here on LI, Great South Bay is shallow and the channels have some tight turns, the main channel from the mainland to Fire Island where all the bars are and such has a 150 degree turn around the end of a sand bar. Not sure how you guys like to drive, but I'm not going to slow down to 30 so I can make the turn. We also have tons of crab traps (lobster pots) out here and with 2' chop they can be hard to see until you are nearly on top of them and you do not want to catch the line in your props. Steps are by design running on ball bearings, they run fast and loose. Therefore they are more likely to spin.

Originally Posted by byrdman
Why turn a large offshore boat in such a manner??? Because you see some big waves you want to go trash on,because you see a boat way over there you want to get and and run him down,because you just ran someone then you gotta turn around and get the dude runnin the other way ,the list goes on...mainly cause you have to FEED YOUR BRAIN.

I'm sorry, but both of you sound like accidents waiting to happen ... steps or not.

G

rouxsterre 08-21-2004 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by byrdman
Why turn a large offshore boat in such a manner??? Because you see some big waves you want to go trash on,because you see a boat way over there you want to get and and run him down,because you just ran someone then you gotta turn around and get the dude runnin the other way ,the list goes on...mainly cause you have to FEED YOUR BRAIN. I wish i had steps,by the way we do not endanger other boaters...just ourselves!

What a ridiculous, idiotic, steaming pile of crap. Maybe THE singular dumbest piece of crap I've ever read on this site. . . and that's saying something.

Wait a minute . . . anybody remember "Dirty Curt" ? . . .

Byrdman 08-21-2004 11:13 PM

I edited my post..oh with a heading under your name like In front of you! you would be right there with me thrashin and bashin yup! And rouxsterre after reading some of your posts like the one on the boating beverage poll post number 68 and the one where you worried about safety HMMMMMMMMM you got alot of nerve, i am sorry i offended you now somebody get this back on the proper thread posting ,SORRY!