Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Driving from NE to Florida - need help (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/85613-driving-ne-florida-need-help.html)

Formula Outlaw 08-25-2004 07:49 AM

Re: Driving from NE to Florida - need help

Running over the Tappan Zee bridge saved me time last time I went from Maine to Florida. The road was kinda rough but would assume it's been repaired by now. Lot less traffic to deal with. After going both routes I would always go that way now.

Good luck and be safe. Russ

Sydwayz 08-25-2004 08:41 AM

Stay away from the DC area between 6:30AM - 9:30AM and 3:30PM - 6:30PM. You will be a much happier camper.

Take 95 South straight out of Baltimore, and follow the 95 South side of the DC Beltway (East side of city). Cross the Woodrow Wilson Bridge, and soon after you will hit the 'Mixing Bowl' to head South down 95 toward Richmond; getting off of the DC Beltway. You will see signs for 395, 495 and 95 South. Follow 95 South; which will be a huge fly-over, lots of construction, and you may see some traffic around here, but its not worth getting off if you do not know the area. Good luck.

dreamboater 08-25-2004 09:08 AM

Thats a hell of a trip, especially if you are trailering. I went from Washington DC to St. Petersburg FL just last weekend. Left Thursday at 1pm arrived in St Petersburg FL Friday around 9:30 (stopped for 4 hours in FL). Then left 5pm Friday evening and arrived back home by Saturday at 11:30 (stopped for 2 hours and a half). It was 960 miles one way. Your trip has got to be 1400 miles or so. I did mine by myself and was quite a ride. Construction on 95 was really not all that, just a few 10-15mile areas. Good luck.

jaybird 08-25-2004 10:14 AM

Thanks for the tips! Funny how I plotted the trip using AAA Triptik and Mapquest, and they both gave different routes. For example Mapquest said to take 495 around DC and AAA said to take 95 on the East side. Different ways through NYC, and AAA said to take Florida's Tnpike instead of 95. Both said to take 295 around Richmond though.

Here's what I am planning to do at the major cities:

- If I get to NYC before 9pm, I'll take the Tappan Zee bridge instead of 95 straight through

- Take 95 around the East side of DC

- Take 295 around Richmond, unless it's 2-3 AM (thoughts on this, since both Mapquest and AAA said to take 295)???

- Take 295 around Jacksonville

- Not sure whether to just stay on 95 after that, or pick up Florida's turnpike - probably just stay on 95.

Sound good?

Iggy 08-25-2004 11:05 AM

Everyone's suggestions are spot on.
I've driven the route from Orlando to Toms River, N.J. many times. The DC Beltway and the Baltimore areas are the worst. Especially during rush hour. Once past that it's smooth sailing. Watch your speed in Georgia and South Carolina. Even more so in all the construction areas. A good radar detector will help. Warning: Virginia does not allow detectors of any kind to be used.
When you hit Florida stay on I-95, don't try the Fl. Trunpike. For one thing you'll have to go way out of your way to get to it and at some point you'll have to get back on I-95 to reach Ft. Lauderdale anyhow.

Leaving Wed. (today?) to be here by Fri. morn?
Cutting it close. It takes me 21 hours to drive from Orlando to central Jersey and that's with no stop over. We only stopped for food, fuel and potty.
If we stop for the night it's a 12 hour run from central Jersey to North/South Carolina border and another 10 hours from there to Orlando.

Good luck, drive safe.