Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Would you ship your boat out of state to sell it for more money? >

Would you ship your boat out of state to sell it for more money?

Notices

Would you ship your boat out of state to sell it for more money?

Old 08-21-2004, 02:51 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Would you ship your boat out of state to sell it for more money?

I asked this question years ago and was surprised at the response. Considering that boats decrease in value month to month, all the while accruing storage, insurance, winterization and cleaning costs while for sale. Would those of you trying to sell your boat this year, ship your boat to another state to expedite the process of sale.

Please post the pros and cons that you may have doing this.
this is what I have found.
Pros:
1. 12 Months of quality boating (for both sea trial and flying out to use your boat while for sale). We sell boats at Christmas boat parades!
2. No hurricanes, tornadoes, snow, flash floods, below freezing temps to worry about.
3. California Tepartment Of Boating and Waterways has strict guidlines and harsh penalties for brokers that choose to opperate in the grey. It requires full Background check and livescan for even a salesperson to get a sales license under a broker.
4. Brokers have bonds to attain in the case of bad deals.
5. CYBA (California Yacht Brokers Assoc.) Oversees brokers by reputation, i.e. you dont do more than one bad deal and stay in this organization.
6. L.A., Hollywood, the O.C., we are a mecca of the bling bling lifestyle. And we can finance some of the nations greatest dirtbags (We do "D" paper).
7. California has to import our highest quality offshore boats. Yes, we have a shortage. Cigarette, Outerlimits, Fountain, Formula, Skater, and Baja. Look in the classifieds, not to many in CA, think about supply and demand.

Cons:
1. Shipping. (Your boat will probably loose more value by sitting for a winter than what it would cost to ship it cross country).
Old 08-21-2004, 04:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Would you ship your boat out of state to sell it for more money?

I have considered transporting my 440 Trojan to one coast or the other. My dilema is that quotes to move it were 10k and up to go to Ft. Lauderdale and I didn't even want to talk about going west due to crossing the Rockies. Definitely a consideration now though.
Old 08-21-2004, 07:25 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Matt,
I think you make some very good points. If I lived elsewhere,(I live in Socal) and was selling a boat, I would seriously consider sending my boat to you in Cali to sell.
Old 08-23-2004, 11:07 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thinking of putting together a package that included: Transport, Storage, Wash and Bi-Weekly Startup for boats brought in from out of state. (I dont have all the numbers in yet. I am just wondering if its worth the time).

The boats would be kept behind locked gates on a facility that has 60,000 people (30,000) cars, drive past each day. Plus Internet exposure on the three main boat sales site (Yes OSO), Boards at boat shows, and two office locations staffed with sales persons that actually know your boat. We are investing money into selling your boat from day one.
This is the catch:
We (Seller and Broker) have to agree on a legitimate asking price!!!
The asking price is based upon what your boat WILL sell for (Not what it will sit for). Our staff sells boats 7 days per week, we have a network of brokers across the country that we sell with. We know the actual selling price of boats. It doesn't matter what you owe. Buyers do not care if you are upside down $20,000 in your boat. Don't price it right this year, next year your upside down $40,000. We sell boats, not show them!
So now how does this sound?