Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Boat speeding tickets in Michigan (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/85729-boat-speeding-tickets-michigan.html)

blackhawk 08-24-2004 04:18 PM

Re: Boat speeding tickets in Michigan

I have never been talked to or even warned about speeding, but I knew the speed limit on the inland lakes was 55mph. However, I have no idea if a ticket would go on your driving record or not. Either people were doing some dumb driving or the "officers" had a bug up their a*s. Or both.

Do you guys also realize that this also applies to the lakes when they are frozen. So, if you're running wide open accross the lake(which I would never do :D) on your snowmobile they could nail you for it.

Hydrocruiser 08-24-2004 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Vern
LOL! The speed limit is damn near impossible to enforce, that's why nobody gets ticketed.

Most tickets are for the no-wake violations.

Waterfoul 08-24-2004 09:01 PM

3 Round lakes? Huh! I'll bet there are at LEAST 7-8 Long Lakes in Michigan. I have fished at least 3 of them.

Oh, and the speed limit on them is 55 mph! And it's not posted. BUT, ignorance will not get you out of a ticket.

articfriends 08-24-2004 09:12 PM

I have also heard of the 55 mph inland speed law in michigan,all the non-boaters i work with are always telling me how they heard the cops are on lakes with radar busting everyone but iv'e yet to ever see that. I do know someone who was pulled over on higgins lake for speeding and given a stern warning and a thourogh safety check but no ticket. I always wondered about the st claire river,i will keep 200 ft from shore when opening it up.

Waterfoul 08-24-2004 09:17 PM

I know several people who have gotten speeding tickets on Hardy Dam Pond. One was for 102 mph!!!! Up there the county sherrif does indeed patrol the lake with a radar gun. Beware.

articfriends 08-24-2004 10:04 PM

No Sh-t,i was just there sunday!Iv'e seen law enforcement on the river several times near the gas docks and saw the dive team doing a recovery after 4th of july crash but wasn't aware of radar!What happened to the guy busted for 102? Iv'e always wondered if it went on your license (that would be more like a serious reckless driving ticket!!

Waterfoul 08-24-2004 10:21 PM

I have not had the chance to ask him about the ticket... when I see him I will. I'll be up there for the Hardy Party the weekend after Labor Day.

MitchStellin 08-24-2004 10:33 PM

Yup, 55 inland and no limit on speed or noise past 1 mile. They never care closer unless it was crowded and then you deserve it. Isn't it no plane after dark? I know I have done it but I think it is a ticketed offense.

blackhawk 08-24-2004 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by articfriends
I do know someone who was pulled over on higgins lake for speeding and given a stern warning and a thourogh safety check but no ticket.

Wow, I have been to Higgins several times and seen some fast boats up there. Haven't been there in awhile though.