Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   CHECK your Auto Bilge FLOAT SWITCH! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/85740-check-your-auto-bilge-float-switch.html)

cuda 08-23-2004 04:56 PM

Re: CHECK your Auto Bilge FLOAT SWITCH!

First thing I do is disconnect the damn things. I've had a lot more dead batteries due to them than I have boats saved because of them. :mad:

Lmarth 08-23-2004 06:26 PM

And I thought I was the only one with this problem! I keep my boat on a Hydro-Hoist but water collects in the bilge after a hard rain. A couple of years ago, the pump came on after a lot of rain and ran the batteries down. Over that winter I hit the pivot with spray Gunk. The pump still works (It's a Rule). Since that time I take no chances on the hoist while I'm gone. I've got a stick that I slide down between the headers that rests on the flapper valve. I've never forgotten to remove it since I'm always checking stuff back there before I go out. Replacing the switch in my boat would be a nightmare. I always check the pump to make sure it's working before I go out. The pivot hasn't stuck since.

Sydwayz 08-24-2004 09:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
TTT for one more pass.

Another picture of the bad float switch.

Cord 08-24-2004 12:00 PM

My switches are allso Attwoods. They are either always hanging on, not working or coming apart.

HyperBaja 08-24-2004 12:03 PM

Connect the auto float hot wire direct to battery.

Connect other hot wire to a switch.

Either way you are fine.

Sydwayz 08-24-2004 12:40 PM

Exactly Tommy,
AT and Sonic rig the Auto Bilge function to a switch.

C_Spray 08-24-2004 01:06 PM

Those Rule automatic pumps Milord listed switch on every 2.5 minutes, looking for water, and cost a ton.

The Water Witch was the first solid-state switch I ever saw, and came out about 10 years ago. There's a new on out called SensaSwitch that's smaller, completely sealed, reasonably priced, and has no exposed sensors. Costs $25 for small pumps (up 12 amps): SensaSwitch . I'm putting one in the boat I'm re-rigging now.

In the meantime, I checked the Rule (not Attwood) switches in my Formula. They're vented, but can get gummed up by the usual bilge gunk. A good shot with a garden hose around the base of the switch, and through the vent hole sorts that right out...

By the way, is anyone looking for a 1250 gph Atwood pump? I just pulled one of this re-rig job. It's in good shape, but since I can't get to it with the engine in the boat, I figured this was a good time to change it out. It's only got 170 hours on it.