Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Used Boat Stored in Water (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/85826-used-boat-stored-water.html)

GO4BROKE 08-24-2004 06:26 PM

Re: Used Boat Stored in Water

FSR will probably clean the stain. Definately have it surveyed. I paid $10 per foot for my survey, 500 for a 27' boat sounds a bit steep.

blownincome 08-25-2004 05:12 AM

On off at boat us works well on tannan stains its a little rough on the nose and eyes(acid vapor) use a resporator and eye protection but works well.

super termoli 08-25-2004 05:26 AM

Same opinion here. Have it surveyed or if you know about those things, take a very, very close look at it. If there is an issue, it's very likely to be quite obvious. Having said that, it is perfectly possible that she is OK. I would be much more worried about the motors and the whole cooling circuit. Mercs are quite simply not intended to sit in water for extended periods.

OldSchool 08-25-2004 07:07 AM

You should be able to get it surveyed for $300 or less. It might be the deal of the century, if you like the boat and think that you want to buy it then you should go for it. If it fails the survey, it's an inexpensive lesson learned and you'll never have to wonder "what if!!!" :)

rainmn 08-25-2004 08:24 AM

"Fiberglass is porous"
"Mercs aren't intended to sit in water for extended periods"

Funny, you'd think something like a boat would be a little more water-resistant. (Not that I disagree with the two statements, I just find it funny.) :)

mjpcowboy 08-25-2004 08:52 AM

I would not consider it no matter how good of a deal it is. The owner could not have taken care of the boat if he let that expensive of boat sit in the water that long. As everyone knows a survey guarantees nothing!!!! There a a lot of good deals on performance boats that have not been kept in the water and have had a lot of TLC. Just my $.02

outlawinil 08-25-2004 09:44 AM

Got any jogging shoes?

Interceptor 08-25-2004 11:08 AM

Probably a good thing Noah used wood vs. fiberglass by what everyone says.
I agree a rack/lift or trailer kept boat may have little if any risk associated with water being in places it shouldn't but fiberglass boats have been around for some time now and IF they are constructed correctly they should be perfectly fine in the water. Otherwise we're saying the industry cannot build a boat that can be water kept.
Actually a boat is far better supported in the water vs some of the trailers, racks or lifts being used.

Holy Smokes 08-25-2004 11:20 AM

An interesting twist this thread has taken on.... So water storage can in SOME cases be better that lift or trailer storage. Hmmm, never heard that one.

OK, I'll go ahead and throw this out there and let someone snatch it up from under me. The asking price is $25,000. The interior looks in good to great shape, shorepower, onboard battery charger, electric bolsters, K-planes, silent choice exhaust, snap out carpet, new cockpit cover, one owner, claiming 111 hours. Oh yea, it also comes on the Myco trailer in the picture. Trailer is not the best in appearance, but the strength is there.

bford1 08-25-2004 11:49 AM

You should be able to get the survey for $10 per foot or so. But, I wouldn't count on the survey to reveal all problems. It does sounds like a pretty good deal and I also think that the thing you have to look for is if water came in from above (not below) - hatches, rails, cleats, etc. can all let water in from above.