Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Unlimited hydros change hands, Info (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/85829-unlimited-hydros-change-hands-info.html)

gdfatha 08-24-2004 02:09 PM

Unlimited hydros change hands, Info

Unlimiteds Acquired by Trent Ling and Unlimited Hydroplane Tour, Inc.
Monday, August 23, 2004
(Lake Hamilton, FL-August 23,2004)…Hydro-Prop, Inc. today announced the transfer of ownership of the unlimited hydroplane series to Trent Ling of Orlando, FL, and his company, Unlimited Hydroplane Tour, Inc.

Ling, 39, is a long-time unlimited hydroplane enthusiast and he will immediately take over full operations of the newly named "Unlimited Hydroplane Tour" which will be headquartered in Orlando.

“Trent has a deep passion for the sport of unlimited hydroplanes. Two years ago he was the lead announcer on the ESPN2 national telecast and he has been involved with hydroplane racing since he was the age of 10. He has many plans on taking the sport to new levels and I am very confident that he will succeed,” said Gary Garbrecht, Chairman of Hydro-Prop, Inc.

"There are a great number of people who love the Unlimiteds," said Ling, "and our passions run hot and heavy. The Garbrechts have given me the chance of a lifetime, and I have plans to preserve and grow and deliver the greatest racing show that exists today. First and foremost, I consider myself simply as a caretaker of the sport at this point."

Ling grew up in Pasco, WA (where the Unlimiteds have raced on the Columbia River since 1966), graduated from Pacific Lutheran University in Tacoma, WA in 1988, and graduated from Duke Law School in Durham, NC in 1991. He has been practicing law in Florida for the past 12 years, and spends much of his time leading a cash-free ministry of all nations in Orlando.

"As a lawyer and minister, I am usually neck deep in trouble, so going boat racing should be a breath of fresh air. The way I see it, we've got race fans, owners, race sites, officials, drivers, teams and critics to take care of, and I expect to grow the size of the pie so that everyone's slice is more than sufficient," Ling explained. "There are some truly incredible people who given their very lives to the sport, and with much enthusiasm I welcome the hard work ahead of us in preparation for the 2005 Tour."

The licensing agreement from the APBA (The American Powerboat Association) has been assigned to Unlimited Hydroplane Tour, Inc., which will continue to run the series as a business, with all sanctions being conducted by the APBA. The APBA is the sanctioning authority for powerboat racing in the United States. Unlimited Hydroplane Tour, Inc. will be the new arm of the APBA responsible for unlimited hydroplane races. Unlimited hydroplanes are nearly 30 feet long, are powered by Vietnam-era helicopter engines that produce 3,000 horsepower and attain a top speed of more than 200 mph.

With the 2004 series champion crowned, stay updated with future plans and developments on the Internet at www.hydroprop.com. For more information, contact Trent Ling directly at (407) 352-0093 or email him at [email protected].

CigDaze 08-24-2004 02:23 PM

Re: Unlimited hydros change hands, Info

Cool, maybe we'll get some local races!!! :cool:

TalkOffshore 08-24-2004 03:01 PM

Re: Unlimited hydros change hands, Info

Jeff Ayers will be on talkoffshore.com tonight to discuss hydroplane racing and the parallels to offshore racing.

AC