Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
1988 26 foot chris craft stinger >

1988 26 foot chris craft stinger

Notices

1988 26 foot chris craft stinger

Old 08-12-2004, 04:28 PM
186captiva

Default 1988 26 foot chris craft stinger

I am thinking of purchasing a 1988 chris craft 26 foot stinger and know nothing about these boats. Right now I own a 1995 18.5 foot rinker so this is a totally differant beast. Fresh paint Fresh interior twin 350's with alpha one's. What should I look for/watch out for. Pros/cons. I took a ride in the boat a few days agaio and to the naked eye it seems like a totally good deal. I am not totally retarted when it come to boats I am just looking for some chris craft specific info I figured this would be the best place to find it. Thanks for your help guys. Travis

Old 08-12-2004, 04:33 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 1988 26 foot chris craft stinger

how much they askign for it?
Old 08-12-2004, 04:35 PM
186captiva

14k with aluminum trailer

Old 08-12-2004, 04:35 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

i have a snazzy scarab of similar size and vintage (totally redone) i'd be willing to part with. Single 550hp blown 454 (20 hours on it) and a fresh bravo with exension box!
Old 08-12-2004, 04:58 PM
Registered

Travis,

I never thought I would say this...

Everybody told me not to buy my 1987 Stinger 260 for 16.5k. They told me that Murray Industries, who owned CC at the time, had really bad hull crews laying really crappy glass. I talked to a former CC engineer, the Coast Guard, BoatUS consumer files, and the current VP of CC before I bought the boat anyway.

Long story short... even though my boat looks good and "surveys" well, you can't see the tabbing damage in the aft because of the engines. You can't see the broken stringer tabbing under the cabin because of the design. The previous owner was a river runner in Wisconsin. After 5 weeks on Lake Erie I have broken tabbing everywhere, and a new crack running the width of the hull near the transom. When I picked the boat up with a hoist, the bow flexed. I saw it. Now I have found cracks all over the hull and blisters all over the pad. Don't get me started on my mechanical problems, but that isn't so much a Chris Craft issue. I argued with everybody, but in the end those hulls suck.

By the way, they are also slow as hell. Mines never gone over 60 in its life.

You will find a few people who have had good luck, but with a buyer's market on boats I would steer clear. I don't know what the hell to do with mine. You want it?

PS. Look into porpoising. You're gonna need to know all about that.

Glass Dave has one. He likes it, but he's a fiberglass guy, and he has Alphas. I have OMCs. I knew better but I did it anyway.
Attached Thumbnails 1988 26 foot chris craft stinger-chris-craft-starboard.jpg  
Old 08-12-2004, 05:02 PM
Registered

I have also made this mistake with women that people warned me about that I didn't know how to get rid of just because THEY were beautiful. Pretty boat. Nicest looking resin bucket you will ever see.
Old 08-12-2004, 05:05 PM
Registered

I think that I will take the engines out and turn it into a travel trailer. I could put a head with a shower in the aft, and a galley midship where the helm is. Picture an awning off one side with a couple chairs. It's really pretty on the trailer.
Old 08-12-2004, 05:08 PM
186captiva

All i keep hearing about is how bad the hull design is. Poeple also talk about the strainers (such as you did) I am sorry but I don't know what the strainers are. (sorry) What are they and how do I check for problems? What would you estimate the worth of this boat to be in good condition? Oh yea it has alpha's instead of omc's

Old 08-12-2004, 05:10 PM
186captiva

I guess the price and looks just drew me in but I should probally listen to someone who has experenced the problems first hand.

Old 08-12-2004, 05:18 PM
Registered

Stringers are the backbone of FRP (fiberglass) boats.

The process of putting a hull together is the outer mold, but also internal braces that support the hull below and the decks, motors, tanks, whatever, above, even if that thing is attached to the side instead of laying on top.

The ride is good. If I have a good glass guy do my boat I can sell it to somebody for a safe cruise, just not super fast.

If you want a 26, get a single big block. You don't get any benefits from twins in a narrow boat as far as docking goes anyway. A single big block will be faster than twin sbcs in most applications. Don't be afraid if work has been done if it has been done right. Get it surveyed. Drive the boat. SHIFT the boat. If you can't dock it, you may not want it. If you are going bigger than 26 get twins.

Quick Reply: 1988 26 foot chris craft stinger

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.