North Fork of Long Island Questions

Notices

North Fork of Long Island Questions

Old 09-03-2004, 07:55 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts
Default North Fork of Long Island Questions

The wife and I are taking the ferry from New London to Orient Point tomorrow to check out the north fork. I've spent plenty of time on the south fork, but never been to the north fork (except Claudio's ). Any recommendations to take in some sights? Nice towns, restaurants, beaches, sights, etc??
Old 09-03-2004, 08:28 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: North Fork of Long Island Questions

the town of greenport is probably the only town on the north fork that offers alot of shopping in a small walking area...and there are alot of art galleries there as well. I'd recommend the Frisky Oyster for your dining pleasure...the food there is spectacular.

most of the beaches require parking permits, and it hink you can get a day pass. there is on on Gull Pond in Greenport that has a launching ramp as well. It is a bay beach that is just to the east of Claudio's so you can see alot of boat traffic if that's want you're into

as far as beaches on the sound, get on the north road(48 I beleive) and head west. There a couple of nice beaches on that road and not too far from Greenport.

The only other real attraction on the North Fork are the wineries...if you're into that sort of thing, they do wine tastings all day long...there are several wineries on 48 as well if you go further west.

New Suffolk is a nice little spot with beach, and Legend's resturant and sports bar. it's a tiny little "town" which is jsut to the north of Robin's Island. It's very quaint and not too crowded. the beach is just south of Legend's...

give me a call if you need directions to any of these spots, or you can mapquest it...they're pretty easy to get to and not too far from the ferry.
Old 09-03-2004, 08:59 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We were out there a few years ago and did some of the wine tours, we really like one called Pindar, (sp?) do you know if that one is still around?
Old 09-03-2004, 09:19 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup, Pindar is still around. If memory serves me correctly, Pindar was the first winery on the East End and all the rest followed. I still think they are the best local wine maker too...
Old 09-03-2004, 11:21 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I hear the Elbow Room is a good restaurant for a steak. I think its in Jamesport.