Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Hospitality Industry service problems explained..(i.e. Big Dicks, poker runs,etc) >

Hospitality Industry service problems explained..(i.e. Big Dicks, poker runs,etc)

Notices

Hospitality Industry service problems explained..(i.e. Big Dicks, poker runs,etc)

Old 08-30-2004, 10:23 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts
Default Hospitality Industry service problems explained..(i.e. Big Dicks, poker runs,etc)

I have managed and worked in many restaurants and bars and thought I could shed some light. I know there have been problems recently at Big Dicks at LOTO and some Poker Runs and thought I'd take a shot at explaining.

I'm sure Dreamer and others may have additional thoughts.

1) The Big Dick's situation was a combo problem. Planners underestimated the eventual turnout. Management was STILL under staffed for the original number. Someone said(troutly I believe) that the manager explained the staff had already mostly returned to school. This happens everywhere and is part of the business. More-so in Seasonal areas.

2) Oneshot events,(like Poker Runs) are even harder to staff for. The turnout is ALWAYS larger than expected due to spectators as well as participants. Temporary help in the rest. business is nonexistent. It may work in an office situation(answering phones, typeing, etc.) but bar and restaurant atmospheres are more fluid. You can't train someone in a few hours and expect great results. Most likely it will cause BIGGER problems than being short staffed. Most of these events happen on weekends and the ENTIRE staff is already there. The extra business is just that, extra.

3) In an area like LOTO( and a few others) the labor pool is at best limited and probably already overworked. If the area isn't growing or Season doesn't support more businesses it probably won't improve much.

4) This is HOME for most of these people and they probably look forward to these events just as much if not more than we do. They want to see and enjoy it as well. I've missed many great events and parties due to working myself toward an early grave. I learned, and so have they, that no amount of $$$ is worth missing LIFE. They need time off and breaks too.

5) We as a group(me included) are HIGH MAINTENANCE. We are used to getting what we want when we want. That server or bartender doesn't care who we are "back home". To him or her we're just the Jackazz(or Ms. Jackazz) making their life difficult. Open to close shifts and late nights are the norm and most are barely making it, give just a little slack it goes a long way.

If you want to make changes, save or gather your pennies and give me or Dreamer a call. We would be happy to point you in the right direction, or maybe even help.

Sorry to ramble but somtimes I feel the need to defend or explain my industry.

Greg
Old 08-30-2004, 10:38 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Hospitality Industry service problems explained..(i.e. Big Dicks, poker runs,etc)

Amen Greg. I used to run restaurants and bars, and it's something that people don't understand until they try to do it. There is a lot more than meets the eye with these things.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:45 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Default Re: Hospitality Industry service problems explained..(i.e. Big Dicks, poker runs,etc)

People truly don't understand the inner workings of bars and restaurants, and most will never understand unless they are a member of the management teams that run them. It is truly an over-worked under-appreciated bunch of people. Thanks for trying to shed light on it
Old 08-30-2004, 11:29 PM
Charter Member #319
Charter Member

I'll try to remember that the next time I go out to dinner and drop a couple hundred bucks

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΈ!
Old 08-31-2004, 12:03 AM
Registered

YEA.... BLA...BLA...BLA... SAME SH1T WE HEAR EVERY WHERE WE GO... EVEN THE KEYS SOME TIMES. HOW ABOUT WE OVER STAFF SOME TIME AND SHOW EVERY ONE WHO BOATS NOW-A-DAYS ,THAT WE ARE READY AND WANT THIER BUSINESS.... AND THEY WILL ENCOURAGE THIER FRIENDS TO BRING THIER OWN BOAT NEXT YEAR.... WITH ANOTHER GROUP OF FRIENDS. ***** WHEN YOU HAVE NO BUSINESS...... Make excusses when you suck at service w/you do. IF YOU HAD BEEN READING OFFSHORE ONLY, TO SEE THE RESPONSE TO THE dick's RUN, YOU WOULD HAVE KNOWN WEEKS AHEAD THAT THE TURN OUT WOULD BE GOOD. AND I DID NOT EVEN SHOW UP WITH MY CROWD.
Old 08-31-2004, 12:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Michael Ward
YEA.... BLA...BLA...BLA... SAME SH1T WE HEAR EVERY WHERE WE GO... EVEN THE KEYS SOME TIMES. HOW ABOUT WE OVER STAFF SOME TIME AND SHOW EVERY ONE WHO BOATS NOW-A-DAYS ,THAT WE ARE READY AND WANT THIER BUSINESS.... AND THEY WILL ENCOURAGE THIER FRIENDS TO BRING THIER OWN BOAT NEXT YEAR.... WITH ANOTHER GROUP OF FRIENDS. ***** WHEN YOU HAVE NO BUSINESS...... Make excusses when you suck at service w/you do. IF YOU HAD BEEN READING OFFSHORE ONLY, TO SEE THE RESPONSE TO THE dick's RUN, YOU WOULD HAVE KNOWN WEEKS AHEAD THAT THE TURN OUT WOULD BE GOOD. AND I DID NOT EVEN SHOW UP WITH MY CROWD.
I bet you would be a pleasure to wait on if they had seven people serving just you.
Old 08-31-2004, 12:28 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I own a fast food restaurant and can totally relate to what Cash has stated. We do try to run a balance between understaffing and over costing. It is always a pleasure when one of the tour busses drops in and we can see our kids scrambling to take care of everyone in as timely a manner as possible...but it is slower service...and its made much easier if we dont have jackasses bellowing at us as we try and take care of every one. even when we have scheduled events, we still have to walk that tight rope of service vs. cost....but theres always one jerk in the bunch running his mouth about how bad the service is where just a little extra patience and consideration would make everyones experience a whole better Michael.

Todd
Old 08-31-2004, 12:44 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i believe that is in alot of businesses i have it in the mortgage industry and i had it when had a motorcycle business parts sales service and a salvage, its was always everyone stood around and then all cust would comein at once no rime or reason ,
we are all people if someone is doing their best and have a good attitude its cool it they get snappy and chitty i leave,. but i will always understand and be patient if they give 100 %.. if they are a slacker i will let them know they suck and need to change something,,,
Old 08-31-2004, 07:23 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

BAJABOB 38 dropping " a couple of hundred bucks"! I guess this must have taken place when he and CATMANDO had their secret affair at the Miami Boat Show last year.
Old 08-31-2004, 12:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Troutly
Greg,

Thanks for the insight . I hope I did not come across as ripping on Big Dicks as that was not my intention at all.
That's not how I took it, I took it for exactly for what you meant.

Quick Reply: Hospitality Industry service problems explained..(i.e. Big Dicks, poker runs,etc)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.