496 engines with raylar parts ?

Notices

496 engines with raylar parts ?

Old 04-17-2009, 01:44 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,225 Posts

Guys,

From my limited experience, I'm guessing that adding 50 horsepower would yield a few more miles per hour on top. But ... Cat or V-bottom? Setup? (Props, X-dimension, gear ratio, etc.) Boat weight? Twin or single engine application? The variables are many and the actual top speed gain obviously will vary from boat to boat.

The gain is boat-specific. Always.

So maybe the top-end gain isn't a huge as you might like, but adding 50 hp more might help your boat come on plane more quickly. It might improve overall acceleration.

Just stuff to consider.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:31 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rv
Ray,
I think what everyone wants to see is some actual speed increases of boats with your engine upgrade. The dyno figures certainly are good and helpful but what really counts to must of us is the actual speed increase. I am sure some people race dyno sheets but most want to see the gps number increase.

Some of the concern has to do with AZ Marine's claim of big hp gain on the 496HO and a couple guys spent the $5-6k to findout they only went 1-2mph faster. Not alot of bang for the buck.

I am not slamming you our your product. I know you have put alot of time and effort into your package as you have explained to me in detail the changes and benefits of them. We just want to see some actual performance data to compliment the dyno numbers you have shared with us.

It would be nice if some of your customers could share their experience with us.

Thanks,
Rick

Just so you know, I put up quite a bit of info about this stuff a while ago. There are others who have posted speeds as well. I can't remember names...
Old 04-18-2009, 01:39 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by irishtornado
Well this is a 5yr old thread that pulls up on Google without any ending results...I'm looking at more power, but I haven't seen anyone bragging about the increases in speed and power from installing this kit. I'm guessing the bang for the buck didn't weigh out? If 2-3mph is all thats achieved by 5-10k I'll save the money for blue power or whipples and a rebuild. Is there any real # gps speeds out there?
My boat ran 68+ stock. Raylar 525 kit same boat ran 78. Went to Raylar 600 and ran 86+.

Blue printed the bottom and am now finishing the prop. Broke a blade off my prop today so have to start over. I can't figure out why some of you are saying that "there is no proof" yet. My info is way old and I certainly was not the first to jump on board. Good luck! It's fun.

PS I've seen more than one engine with these kits on them that were "hacked". If you're gonna spend money to upgrade, take your time; do it right; have some extra money for incidentals that we all forget about. If not, you'll wind up doing it twice anyway... Make sure if you paint or powdercoat do a good job of cleaning every nook and cranny of the intake aftwards. Make sure to buy some AN Fitting caps for the oil cooler that thread all the way on etc... If you guys want to talk to me, send me pm with your phone number and i'll call you after business hours PST.

Last edited by SDFever; 04-18-2009 at 01:51 AM.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:28 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've posted this several times but I'll do it again. I did a comprehensive test on the Raylar kit including prop shaft and engine dyno tests, before and after speed runs and different header configuration. I wrote an article about it that can be found on my web site. Check it out.

http://fullthrottlemarine.com/496%20...%20Article.htm

Bob
Old 04-18-2009, 10:50 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Excellent, no-nonsense test report Bob. I would love to see a similar test and report on a LSM-550 swap.

Is there anyone out there with real world performance data on the LSM-550 they would like to share?
Old 04-18-2009, 10:55 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by bobl
I've posted this several times but I'll do it again. I did a comprehensive test on the Raylar kit including prop shaft and engine dyno tests, before and after speed runs and different header configuration. I wrote an article about it that can be found on my web site. Check it out.

http://fullthrottlemarine.com/496%20...%20Article.htm

Bob
Not only was this the most robust, well documented test on the topic but I am still quite amazed that someone would go to this length and expense in both, time and money only to share it for FREE!! There are some good humans left in the industry. Bob is one.

If you live near his shop and you don't do your own work, I can't think of a better place to drop your boat for service.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:15 AM
Chris
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great write up!

Chris
Old 04-25-2009, 10:51 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by SDFever
My boat ran 68+ stock. Raylar 525 kit same boat ran 78. Went to Raylar 600 and ran 86+.

Blue printed the bottom and am now finishing the prop. Broke a blade off my prop today so have to start over. I can't figure out why some of you are saying that "there is no proof" yet. My info is way old and I certainly was not the first to jump on board. Good luck! It's fun.

PS I've seen more than one engine with these kits on them that were "hacked". If you're gonna spend money to upgrade, take your time; do it right; have some extra money for incidentals that we all forget about. If not, you'll wind up doing it twice anyway... Make sure if you paint or powdercoat do a good job of cleaning every nook and cranny of the intake aftwards. Make sure to buy some AN Fitting caps for the oil cooler that thread all the way on etc... If you guys want to talk to me, send me pm with your phone number and i'll call you after business hours PST.
Did you personally install the HO600 kit or have it done?
Old 04-25-2009, 11:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rage
Did you personally install the HO600 kit or have it done?
The 600 is a completely different bottom end. That gets done by Raylar (line boring, decking, crank, rods, pistons, rings, etc)

The rest is a matter of taking your time. Adjusting the roller rockers needs a feel that I don't have. I'd say that's the only other area where you really either need to know what it feels like or get someone to help.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:57 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by SDFever
The 600 is a completely different bottom end. That gets done by Raylar (line boring, decking, crank, rods, pistons, rings, etc)

The rest is a matter of taking your time. Adjusting the roller rockers needs a feel that I don't have. I'd say that's the only other area where you really either need to know what it feels like or get someone to help.
Other than the bottom end and the roller lifter adjustment did you do the rest yourself?

Quick Reply: 496 engines with raylar parts ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.