Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
496 engines with raylar parts ? >

496 engines with raylar parts ?

Notices

496 engines with raylar parts ?

Old 05-05-2005, 01:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 496 engines with raylar parts ?

P.S. did that tech. article that Ray was talking about ever come out ?? I belive it was supposed to be in hot-boat.. ??
Old 05-05-2005, 03:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

the article is in hot boat may's issue (part 1) and part 2 should be in junes issue . I have the may issue but does'nt show any water testing , must be in the june issue .
Old 05-05-2005, 10:01 PM
Registered

Thanks Tony,, what does part 1 consist of ?????? installation maybe ??
Old 05-05-2005, 11:19 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up Re: 496 engines with raylar parts ?

There are quite a few boats around the country and even in Europe with our kits now. I will not put our customers names and numbers out on an open forum for courtesy and privacy reasons but anyone who needs to talk to an actual Raylar user and our installing dealers can PM me or call at our toll free number(866)496-8181 and I can give them some contact info so they can verify our products and performance for themselves. Please keep in mind that a 100HP addtion to a motor in different boats, with different hull types, weights and set ups will net different results. There are a few things that need to be done to almost any boat adding 100HP per motor in the way of propping and triming that will help realize the best results from the addtional power. No two different boats will be the same or have the same results and their is no set formula or way to exactly determine results in each case without trials and testing. I can tell you that in every case of a Raylar install the boaters have seen significant power increases that result in not only addtional speed, but quicker acceleration and faster cruising speeds at old cruising rpms. I sometimes really believe that these are actually more important than all out top speed, because these benifits are at the speeds and condtions where most boats spend most of their running time. To answer Chris288 about horsepower increases with heads only its kind of a misnomer because the factory intake manifold is not capable of feeding enough air to our new heads to have a heads only 496 make its power at 4500 to 5000rpm levels where horsepower is at its peak. This is exactly why we recommend and market our products as a kit. This allows all the components , heads, cam and induction in the kit to work together to acheive the overall desired result. Just installing heads only is kind of like putting huge brakes on a car with tiny tires. The brakes can stop the wheels & tires, but the tires can't stop the car!

Last edited by Raylar; 05-05-2005 at 11:22 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-06-2005, 08:03 AM
Registered

Thanks for the reply Ray,,, Heads and rockers, are do-able at this point and possibly the cam, have the funds and someone willing to do the installation,, if this is not going to yield at least some performance gains in the 50 hp range than I guess it's just not worth going through the trouble..
Old 04-16-2009, 12:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well this is a 5yr old thread that pulls up on Google without any ending results...I'm looking at more power, but I haven't seen anyone bragging about the increases in speed and power from installing this kit. I'm guessing the bang for the buck didn't weigh out? If 2-3mph is all thats achieved by 5-10k I'll save the money for blue power or whipples and a rebuild. Is there any real # gps speeds out there?
Old 04-16-2009, 10:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by irishtornado
Well this is a 5yr old thread that pulls up on Google without any ending results...I'm looking at more power, but I haven't seen anyone bragging about the increases in speed and power from installing this kit. I'm guessing the bang for the buck didn't weigh out? If 2-3mph is all thats achieved by 5-10k I'll save the money for blue power or whipples and a rebuild. Is there any real # gps speeds out there?
I can't give solid numbers yet. But it looks like my 2005 Sunsation 288 is going to gain at a minimum of 8 if not 12+ MPH! I did install headers and an ECM flashed by whipple for the Raylar install. All I can say after one good testrun is the motor is awesome!
Old 04-17-2009, 01:06 AM
Registered

If you guys still want some answers, hit up tfarmer on here for his Raylar experience.....
Old 04-17-2009, 10:11 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've done several Raylar kits and dyno'd them. They make the power claimed. I have run 2 identical boats side by side. One Raylar and one Merc 525 EFI. They ran dead even.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

irishtornado, You might want to call Crockett, he is in your area and I gained 15 mph with my 500's hp's aftrer he did his tweaking. I still need to play with props and might squeeze a mph or 2 outif it still but it run great now and after I broke my hand last year High speed boating time was greatly reduced.

Quick Reply: 496 engines with raylar parts ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.