If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What drives?

JC Performance Engines Gold Member Stormrider's Avatar
    My Boats:
    2003 28 Pantera
    Long Island, NY

Re: What drives?

Got any pics of that Trimax platform?
    Also, if you've only got a single, can you divide that 2nd package in half?
    With great power, comes great responsibility.

Rik is offline Offshoreonly Advertiser Rik's Avatar

The cost of the Arneson ASD8 in-line drives for the Yanmar 440's is $13,655.00 ea. complete with the hydraulics, external hoses, backing plates, mounting bolts and trim pumps. You will need a marine gear but you do not need a boat specifically designed around the outdrive.

Every I/O has O-rings and pumps so I do not feel we are making a maintenance nightmare by using them also as there are more than 1000:1 I/Os to Surface Drives out there.

Slow speed maneuverability is far better with a drive that can vector thrust as you do not rely upon the accelerated water effect over a rudder.

Fixed surface drives are nothing new. We made them back in the early 70's ourselves and abandoned them in favor of something better. Ive got an old, old by my standards, book on performance boating published in 1948 and on the cover is an Alfa Romero boat with twin V8s and fixed surface drives. The engines were staggered too. Basically they are just a ski boat drive system mounted on the transom vs. under the bottom.

As far as jumping off the transom and landing upon a propeller, we have made propeller guards for this situation.

Choose what ever drive you can afford, fits your boat and can live with. Someone can point out all the negatives and positives of each option so you will need to weight all these factors, large and small, out to make a wise decision.

My Boats:
    1999 Triad V-21 Mercury Racing 280
    Lilburn, Ga

Just Curious But What Size Props Are You Runnunig On The Callan Marine Boat, And What Gear Ratio?

VIP Member VIP Member DirtyMoney's Avatar
    My Boats:
    368 Skater, 33 Scarab AVS, Fountain 48EC Yanmar/Arneson
    Murrayville, GA

Rik how have you been? How would a single arneson work on a little 21'. I am building one now and have considered it. What would the distance from transom to front of engine be?

Beau Renfroe

My Boats:
    2005 Callan 50

Quote Originally Posted by BMCCRAY
    Just Curious But What Size Props Are You Runnunig On The Callan Marine Boat, And What Gear Ratio?
    We run a wide variety of gears and props. At the Shootout (turbine power), we ran 16.5"x26" props and a 1:1 ratio. Racing offshore (V12's), we run gears as high as 1.68 and props as large as 17"x38.5".

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345