Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Riding Mower....what brand? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/86340-riding-mower-what-brand.html)

Hydrocruiser 09-03-2004 11:53 AM

Re: Riding Mower....what brand?

2 Attachment(s)
Deere and Simplicity are pretty close in design except Simplicity put a lot more $$ into their decks ; more than anyone out there. The Simplicity had 2 features I liked a lot. First it has a deck that without any tools slides out and off in less than 2 minutes for cleaning, blade changes etc. Second, it has the only deck on the market with a floating front end and full roller across the back. Nothing cuts smoother than a Simplicity.

I liked the Deere a lot but tried both and the Simplicity does cut much smoother and to me the final result is what counted. So I payed $3,500 for a Simplicity 16Hp V-Twin Vanguard with a 42' deck 13yrs ago. It has 420 hrs on it and is like new. Never a problem and will go another 13++ yrs easily without problems. They say it's lifespan is up to 50 yrs.

I like the idea of buying something engineered very well and having it be cheaper in the long run than a disposable unit. If this tractor lasts even 30 yrs that's only $ 116/season of use. For the same price or less over the long haul I can have a machine built like a tank, huge wheel and blade bearings, a very heavy deck, hydrostatic trans, and the list goes on.

Investing more $$ initially into something like a tractor is worth the price. They make a great "zero turn unit" too for prosumers.

97BossHammer 09-03-2004 12:25 PM

thats my main problem actually...tight budget. Going to be moving in a new house and won't have much to spend on a tractor. Not getting the lowest grade...but mid grade. I'd like to buy a really good one as some of you have mentioned, but just can't afford it right now.

Hydrocruiser 09-03-2004 01:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by 97BossHammer
thats my main problem actually...tight budget. Going to be moving in a new house and won't have much to spend on a tractor. Not getting the lowest grade...but mid grade. I'd like to buy a really good one as some of you have mentioned, but just can't afford it right now.

Here is Hydro's recommendation:

The one I suggest you look at is Model # 27608

If you can only afford a grand then look at Model #27317

http://www.sears.com/sr/craftsman/ho...=Lawn+Tractors

It is on sale now; usually $ 2899.99 Now $2199.88 ($ 700.11 off)

Take off an additional $219.00 for opening a new credit card and the price will drop to $1980.88. You will be very hard pressed to get a machine with that kind of engine, hydrostatic drive and a 48" cut with a very high level of quality.

The engine alone it worth $ 1,200.00

Automatic trans (Hydrostatic)
26HP Briggs V-Twin OHV with pressure lube and filter
10ga 48" deck
electric clutch for blades

The only way to go cheaper is to get a manual tranny and you would only save $200 an auto is the way to go. This one is worth putting on payments and paying it off over a year or so. Open a charge and save an additional 10%.

This is a very fine tractor and worth every cent. If mine went out tomorrow with a major catastrophic problem I would get it.

This this might work? I love tractors and would be proud to own this one.

Hydrocruiser 09-03-2004 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by offthefront
27317 is only 1199.88 ???