Toronto Harbour - Need Advice >

Toronto Harbour - Need Advice

Notices

Toronto Harbour - Need Advice

Old 09-02-2004, 02:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toronto Harbour - Need Advice

Thinking about heading down to Toronto Harbour on Saturday and since I don't have a harbour license, I am wondering if the Harbour police will leave me alone if I follow the rules, or will they pull me over because they have not seen my boat before.

I was pulled over by them a few years ago, but I was speeding and it cost me some $'s in fines
Old 09-02-2004, 03:01 PM
Registered

Default Re: Toronto Harbour - Need Advice

Bam Bam... WTF is going on in Toronto. I just spent 10 minutes on the Toronto Port webpage, and as far as I can tell if I want to operate my boat in the Toronto harbour my Coast Guard Certificate isn't enough, I have to obtain a Toronto licence also ??

from their webpage....

http://www.torontoport.com/THC/notices/hmn2001_7.htm

Permits: All recreational boat operators who have engine-powered vessels, whether the engine is the main power or only auxiliary, must possess an operator’s permit from the Port Authority to navigate in the waters of the port and harbour of Toronto, which permit can be renewed annually. The Port Authority will arrange for testing and certification. For further information on permitting you may visit our Operators Permit Information page.
Old 09-02-2004, 03:14 PM
Registered

I know, it is ridiculous. I think it is a cash grab by the Toronto port authority and explains why they don't get a lot of visitors coming by boat.

I was pulled over by them 5 or 6 years ago and fined for not having a port license (I happened to be going over the speed limit). I accepted the fact that I was speeding, but was extremely pissed when he started writing me up for not having their precious license.

There are some pretty cool places to go on the islands and there is a bar called the Docs which very cool.
Old 09-03-2004, 07:51 AM
Registered

ttt
Old 09-03-2004, 09:43 AM
Registered

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

Bam Bam,
I was told at the boat show a few years ago that the new Power Boat Operators Card would make a harbour license redundant. If you have the card, call and ask if that is sufficient.
The airshow is on all weekend so access is likely going to be restricted. I doubt you will be able to enter/exit by the western end but getting to The Docks should be fine . Humber Bay is a pretty good place to anchor and watch the air show.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Bam Bam I live in Etobicoke and boat on lake Ontario both in the spring and fall,as I keep the boat on Lake Simcoe for the months of July and August. I have boated in the Toronto for the last 4 years with my 30 foot Formula and without a harbour license. I have never had a problem. The key is not to stand out which means don't speed. If you just keep a low profile they will not bother you. Besides the Docks . If you go west the restaruant Snug harbour is cool (Port Credit) and Sharkies in Oakville on the river is also cool. A bunch of us are going to get together to watch the Lake Ontario Poker run on The 18th of Septmeber.We will be staying at the Snug Harbour Marina.

Rick G.
Old 09-03-2004, 10:19 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sutphil
Bam Bam,
I was told at the boat show a few years ago that the new Power Boat Operators Card would make a harbour license redundant.
Phil, their webpage is a little sketchy, but from what I read, they will not accept an Operators card as a substitute for a Harbour license. I can't see where you write a test for the Harbour license, it seems like they are after the money. If you read the webpage "news" setion it seems that they started the license a few years ago to avoid a user fee situation. I think Bam-Bam has it right, it looks like a cash grab...
Old 09-03-2004, 03:43 PM
Registered

Sutphil, we may be there to watch the air show on Saturday too. I have a 25' Active Thunder I am assuming you have a Sutphin, I will keep an eye out for you.

Rick, thanks for the info, I was hoping the same thing, if I keep a low profile and don't speed that they will leave me alone.
Old 09-03-2004, 04:09 PM
Registered

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

Bam Bam,
We won't make it this year - going north with the little Sutphen. My 26 is in sickbay anyways. I might have seen you a few weeks ago on the 400 - do you trailer yours? It was late on a Sunday I passed a dark coloured AT25 with singe power being towed by a Yukon I think.
Maybe next time.
Phil
Old 09-04-2004, 07:51 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sutphil
Bam Bam,
We won't make it this year - going north with the little Sutphen. My 26 is in sickbay anyways. I might have seen you a few weeks ago on the 400 - do you trailer yours? It was late on a Sunday I passed a dark coloured AT25 with singe power being towed by a Yukon I think.
Maybe next time.
Phil
Yup, that was me. We were on our way home from a day on Georgian Bay. We live in Burlington. You probably saw my wife fast asleep in the passenger seat with her mouth wide open and drooling. Heading up to Lake Muskoka on Sunday and out to Toronto today. Enjoy the weekend.