I hate Yamaha - still havn't been able to go boating once this year

Notices

I hate Yamaha - still havn't been able to go boating once this year

Old 09-05-2004, 09:51 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Re: I hate Yamaha - still havn't been able to go boating once this year

I've run and known people who've run Yamahas for years without hiccup. Newer ones, older ones.. same thing.

The appearance of Yamaha outboards on the market (even when they used existing licensed designs) was purely a GOOD thing for the outboard industry. Small changes here and there across the board in the way of tweaking and bulletproofing design issues created a breed of motors that were/are known for SOLID reliability in continuous use applications.

Merc and OMC had to respond in order to maintain their marketshare.

The problems you are/have experienced on your Yamahas suggests that they were stored with old gas in them. The leaking solenoids suggests that somebody went thru lots of starting attempts over and over with old deteriorated gas in the solenoids. Not exactly what I would use as a reason to start hating Yamahas.,.

Your trouble with idiotic local service and lack of prompt response from your dealer ARE good reasons to boycott any brand they handle unless there are other dealer choices available in your area. I can't stand a dealer who cannot offer a reasonable level of service. Usually, in most areas, there are other dealers available to allow you to find a suitable one, and in the case of used motors, there are sometimes independent shops who can be far superior to the crap personnel found in formal dealerships (if the independents weren't better, then how could they exist?).

Sorry about your trouble. Boat mechanical issues suck.

mc
Old 09-05-2004, 12:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mcollinstn

Your trouble with idiotic local service and lack of prompt response from your dealer ARE good reasons to boycott any brand they handle unless there are other dealer choices available in your area. I can't stand a dealer who cannot offer a reasonable level of service. Usually, in most areas, there are other dealers available to allow you to find a suitable one, and in the case of used motors, there are sometimes independent shops who can be far superior to the crap personnel found in formal dealerships (if the independents weren't better, then how could they exist?).
AMEN!!!

A product is only as good as the dealer who services it. I own a Yamaha and it is GREAT. I know if I have problems my dealer is someone I know and it will be addressed.

Sorry for your bad experience.
Old 09-05-2004, 03:42 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Greg,
Sorry to hear your having problems. That always sucks!! It looks like I may have worn out my second cam this summer. Not sure yet, but it isnt running like it did for the first 10hrs after I put the new cam in. Then on the way home I see a tire looking wierd, bulging. Well it seems Carlisle tires are junk, from what I see on the net and other forums. So it is time to get back to work on my shop and get that two post hoist up. I have it bolted to the floor, just need to put the parts and oil in it. Then I will have completed a life long dream, of having my own hoist. I have about 4 motors to rebuild this winter and no time, no money. But life is good for the most part, just the boating that seems to drag it down sometimes. As Arnold said, "I'll be back!!"
Good luck with those Yaha's.. if you do get them running, make sure you set it up so they start and run on the lift everyday for 30min or so. That will keep them ready for when you want to use them..

Dick
Old 09-05-2004, 03:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Roger, I get in to Chicago on the 19th about noon, don't know if we can work a ride on that schedule or not but appreciate the try.

Yes, I know not "all" of the problem is in Yamaha design, but the solenoid design sure looks like a bad idea to me, and the location of the fuel bleed is definatly a bad idea.

I'm trying to hunt a reasonable source for new ones, they want $100 each, with is $1200 to do both motors (it doesn't make sense to do only the ones leaking now, since it seems they can stick open at a moments notice). The lead time on parts is as much a problem as anything, as it means I can only get about one shot a month to try to get this thing running, and I'm rapidly running out of summer months. I ordered the new covers for it last week, so at least it will be protected while it sits there <LOL>

What ever gums them up (or maybe I'm just unlucky and the electric died since they "were" staying closed when I rebuilt the carbs) has had to get past two fuel filters, both new/cleaned, so it's not like the gas is ready to varnish woodwork with. 'll look into someone who could drain the tanks but that looks like a real PITA task.

-Greg