Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Ford Trucks 7.3 or 6.0 ???? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/86536-ford-trucks-7-3-6-0-a.html)

Outdrive1 09-06-2004 10:12 PM

Re: Ford Trucks 7.3 or 6.0 ????

1 Attachment(s)
I Have An 2000 Excursion With The 7.3, The Motor Has Been Flawless, 72,000 And Never Had Any Engine Problems. Replaced The Alternator This Year, But It Was No Big Deal.
The Tranny However Is A Pile. I Lost Mine Last Year, My Bus. Partner Has Been Through Three On His 2000. I'm Sure Having Ten Inches Of Lift On Mine With 38's And My Partneer Having 15 Inches Of Lift With Forty's Doesn't Help, But Shouldn't A 3/4 Ton Truck Be Able To Handle That? I Know Others That Have Lost The Tranny As Well (with Lifted Trucks). I'm Surprised No One Else On This Thread Has Had Problems With Them.
Dont Tow In Overdrive And Dont Hop The Motor Up If You Are Going To Tow With It. Its Barely Capable Of Handling The Torque The Motor Puts Out Now Especially Under A Load, And If You Are Going To Lift It Change Out Your Gears And Add A Second Tranny Cooler. The Tranny Cooler Is A Good Idea Just For Towing.
I've Ridden In A Brand New One, I Think The Power Range Is Better Or The Extra Gear Helps, Cant Tell What Makes The Difference But Its Definantly Got More Of Something. I Will Probaly Get One Next Year With The New Motor And Tranny As Soon As They Work Out The Bugs On The New Motor.

Buddy OO 09-07-2004 04:01 AM

Have had both. have a new 6.0 crew with the edge with attitude chip, and is a rocket. pull my 50v nortech with trailer is 22,000lbs, and it pulls with ease. gets 19mg on highway. have 25,000 miles. not one problem.

Slick02 09-07-2004 07:33 AM

Had an 00 F350 4x4 with a 7.3 and with a super chip it pulled fine EXCEPT for trans/converter problems and noisy as hell, just bought an 04 F250 harley trk with a 6.0, the 6.0 stock will run away from the 7.3 with a chip, its quieter, gets better fuel mileage and gotta love the new 5spd auto that ford came up with..both are good trucks/engines and as stated above stay away from the 03 6.0 . Also the problems with the edge programmer don't seem to be so much mechanical as DRIVER ERROR. All the instructions tell you not to tow on the higher settings (I always reset to one when towing and run on two or three to drive(excellent power/throttle response)

boot 09-07-2004 08:09 AM

Like stated, The 03 6 liters have trouble . Not all , but most .
The 04's had something like 50 upgrades to the engine alone ! I have very few problems with the 04's. The 05's are quite different again .

When you get a 6 liter that runs , it RUNS GREAT ! Nothing else will touch it ! :D The new trans is awesome too .

The old 7.3 is good for sure ,but the trans has issues from time to time .

Chips are a whole different thing ..... Get a truck that runs right first ! :rolleyes:

Twinmags 09-07-2004 12:33 PM

I would go with the new 6.0. I have worked with several of them by adding performance parts and can say with the Bully Dog performance package added to the 6.0 it is a definite choice for me and moves like a raped ape.

blown formula 09-07-2004 06:54 PM

88K on my '01 Platinum Crew 7.3 and runs better than my neighbors stock 6.0 Crew (has a lift kit ). Never a tranny problem or any other problem, but then I don't abuse it when pulling ( and I pull even in overdrive with over a 10K load except in steep hills). Yes it's a little noiser but roll the windows up and you can't hear it on the highway, so who cares??? So are we taking acceleration, pulling, normal use or ??
Given the right year and proper maintenance either I'm sure would be satisfactory. :drink:

PhantomChaos 09-07-2004 06:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Lyall's truck.......can you guess what he's had problems with? :D

Got an email from him over the weekend..............

================================================
I am slowly pissing these guys off.. The truck has been parked in the customer service area. They call and said it was going to be towed. I sent him the vehicle code section that defines "customer" ...in that I have it (the truck) serviced and bought it From Santa Margarita Ford I am a customer. I also told him that they would be liable for any damage as well as the towing cost as the curb is green and not marked for any time limit. Under the vehicle code I can park there since I fit the definition as a "customer" according to the vehicle code.

They are so livid now that they had someone tape floormat paper over the sign! (whimps!)

I'm getting under their skin and pissing the **** out of them!

Anyone have any good legal ideas for ways for me to further my piss of campaign?

Lu....

boot 09-08-2004 10:18 AM

:eek: :D :D THAT IS GREAT !!!! I know a few people that should do that ..... :cool:

turbosonic1 09-08-2004 11:41 AM

Just budget ~4k per year for transmissions!

I'm on my third as Nort posted my e-mail

robyw1 09-08-2004 12:13 PM

I must say, chips on a whole almost never gain a vehicle any performance other than a turbo in which the boost is raised. What I want to know is how you all are getting substantial gains out of putting chips in your p/u's? Is Ford not doing their job? If the chip improves it so much then Ford ought to take notice of this and make the changes in a recall or in the next production year.

Roby