Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   7' Beam Or 8' Beam = Pro's And Cons??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/86771-7-beam-8-beam-%3D-pros-cons.html)

rainmn 09-10-2004 08:08 PM

Re: 7' Beam Or 8' Beam = Pro's And Cons???

Originally Posted by FASTERDAMITT
I new someone would say they suck. I just can't imagine one foot making so much difference. But, almost all V's are 8'. Why not 9' ??

I believe the legal limit to trailer without permits is 8'6".
One drawback I see to 7' beam boats is the squeeze betwen the front bolsters. I was looking at a 24 Superboat a few weeks back, and there's no way a fat guy would get between those bolsters. That's the one area where a foot can make a huge difference.
I could live with it, but I weigh 170 soaking wet.

Hydrocruiser 09-10-2004 09:14 PM

I had a great 7' beam boat. Never again! The boat is too subject to listing right or left based on driver and or passenger weight differentials. If big guy weighing in at 250 lbs is at the helm without a "balancing" 250 lb passenger; it will cause the boat to lean right big time.

On the other hand if you can "balance the weight of passengers and gear in the boat" if it has a 24 degree deadrise and 7' beam it will cut waves like an electric knife. On the other hand it can get squirrelly at high speeds.

Got to take the good with the bad.

C_Spray 09-10-2004 09:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
How 'bout 6'2"?

(By the way, does anyone recognize the lift in this picture?)

berns29scarab 09-11-2004 06:47 AM

i've got a 29 scarab with twin small blocks and a 7'6" beam and have ZERO complaints, had an avanti with a 7ft beam previously and yes was a little tight but worth it for the ride quality. my scarab handles ****ty water better than my buddies 30 baja...just my opinion

BajaRunner 09-11-2004 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by FASTERDAMITT
But, almost all V's are 8'. Why not 9' ??

towing it down the road. cant do it.

Dave M 09-11-2004 07:30 AM

7' beam rocks!

The ride in rough water is great. If you notice most of the brands mentioned are or were active in racing and proven winners. I don't think there is any debating the performance benefits.

I don't find the rocking while at rest to be that bad. I don't really notice the balance issue any more than I did when I had a boat with an 8' beam. If your going on a run wouldn't you want to try to balance your load anyway? As far as the distance between the bolsters, you have to turn sideways to get through. I am average size but I could see where a large person might have problems. There is reduced passenger area. You also loose any storage in the gunnels.

C'mon fasterdamit, place the order! You won't be dissapointed.

Phantom1 09-11-2004 07:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My 30' Phantom has a 7' beam and I love it.

jb 09-11-2004 09:47 AM

i have seen many 8'6" beam boats with bolsters you cant squeeze through....

Wellby 09-11-2004 09:48 AM

I have a 7ft. beam... it is constant tab usage. Rough water is nice as long as your head into it or going with it.

C_Spray 09-11-2004 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Fever Mike
C-Spray that is behind TNT, correct?

Correct. It was Bobby Moore's at the time (1997). His guys did all the rigging for me - phenomenal work.

Anyone have a picture of the Buzzi "Baby Argentina" after the floats were removed? Nemschoff's ran it in A class for a couple of years (1998/1999?). THAT was a narrow boat....