Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Drives on a 36 Nor-Tech Cat (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/86846-drives-36-nor-tech-cat.html)

Chuck 09-12-2004 05:04 PM

Drives on a 36 Nor-Tech Cat

I recently ordered a 36 Cat and some people are telling me that the boat is just too big for XR drives. I am being told that is just too much surface area for the XR's to handle. I really can't afford to put #6 Mercs on the boat and don't know too much about the Arneson's. Any advice and opinions would be appreciated. Don't many bigger V-Bottoms use XR's? They have to be heavier and more surface to push, right?

Chuck 09-12-2004 05:48 PM

Re: Drives on a 36 Nor-Tech Cat

Thanks troutly and Too Old. I was just given these opinions over the weekend and plan on calling both the dealer and the manufacturer on Monday. Just wanted some other opinions.

open87 09-12-2004 06:15 PM

i would agree with too old and the fishman :D , drives are pricey to say the least, #6 's , big $$$ .maybe look into the KONRAD drives.they will hold the tourqe, and you will have smooth shifting due to the use of a tranny unless you go to crash boxes. just food for thought. how much hp are you looking to pump out???

JIMKID Motorsports 09-12-2004 06:30 PM

I have a pair of #6s wet sumps like brand new complete transome assemblysm for sale terry knows about them call me on monday 248 909 0240 jim styke

Payton 09-12-2004 07:21 PM

There's a 36 Nor-Tech cat in MI with Arnesons. It looks very sweet. I've never seen it run. But, talked to the owner and he loved it.

Jassman 09-12-2004 07:43 PM

The transmission is the key to keeping the drives together. For Stern drives, #3, #5 or #6, or better yet, a Weismann Stern Drive.

For surface drives, Arneson. Good Luck, Jeff

SLINGSHOT 09-12-2004 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by JIMKID Motorsports
I have a pair of #6s wet sumps like brand new complete transome assemblysm for sale terry knows about them call me on monday 248 909 0240 jim styke

HOW MUCH?

blingbling 09-13-2004 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck
I recently ordered a 36 Cat and some people are telling me that the boat is just too big for XR drives. I am being told that is just too much surface area for the XR's to handle. I really can't afford to put #6 Mercs on the boat and don't know too much about the Arneson's. Any advice and opinions would be appreciated. Don't many bigger V-Bottoms use XR's? They have to be heavier and more surface to push, right?

Hey Chuck, Whatever it takes get the #6 on the back of that boat, call me if you need more details. 805-896-6886 pacific time.

The Menace 09-13-2004 05:23 AM

You have to remember one thing about drives, they are what limit your use of horsepower in thre future. You get a few more bucks later on and want to increase HP you also have to change drives or change boats!

Of course today a Nortech with 575's and Bravos may be breaking 110, you are still at your limit.

Chuck 09-13-2004 06:03 AM

The boat is going to be powered with 525 HP's. Would # 6 mercs be overkill? Does anyone know what someone should expect to pay to upgrade from the xr's to arneson #6's?