Notices

Greetings from Cambodia

Old 11-14-2004, 10:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Greetings from Cambodia

Spending a couple weeks on a project in Phnom Penh and thought I'd drop an OSO hello.

This is one very insane place. The job is OK, but afterhours it's like watching a train wreck. It's sensory overload, it's unlike anything I've ever seen and some of it I wish I
never had, but I can't help but at least witness it. Sooo many people in so little space, no rules, apparently no laws, confusion in every direction, and yet it's very beautiful, simple, and somehow very relaxing to sit at a bar and watch it all go by.

Don't guess I'm missing much with the cold front blowing through central Texas. Weather here hotter than a black vinyl car seat in hell. Would be fun to blast up the Mekong River in the old Cig though. Closest thing to fun (that I'm talking about anyways) was a trip to the local firing range to unload a few 30 round clips from a fully automatic AK47.

Cheers,

John J
Old 11-14-2004, 11:41 PM
Registered

Default Re: Greetings from Cambodia

Another way to describe this place is that if a guy ever needed to disappear, to escape any and all responsibility, and be able to make enough living to get by, this is the place. Just about every bar owner I've met is an expat with some reason why he'll never go back to where he came from.

Lot's of guys have come here just for the girls. Mostly in their early 20's, so naturally beautiful and all looking for a way out of the desparation and poverty that was left behind after the Khmer Rouge and Pol Pot atrocities of the mid and late 70's. They're the first generation not to have directly had to live with genocide and they know well enough that an American boyfriend can be a one way ticket out. So easily taken advantage of yet several guys on the job are getting married before going home.

Was sitting last night talking to an Aussie bar owner and heard a few "pops" off in the distance, a few blocks maybe. He commented that it's slowed down a bit lately but hardly a day goes by when he doesn't hear shots fired. Mostly cops practicing the local law enforcement he said, nothing to be too worried about.

Crazy, crazy place...
Old 11-14-2004, 11:41 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Have fun watching.... if you do anything else don't forget to wear a boxing glove!!!

Be careful out there!
Old 11-15-2004, 12:09 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

JohnJan,

Have friends that go their on business every once in a while. They have some wild stories! At least you can go to a bar!

I'm in a man camp in Iraq at a Power Plant!! This sucks!!!

Only 5 days left though and I'll NEVER come back here!!

Be careful and hava lil' fun!! Make sure ya cover lil' Jimmy!!
Old 11-15-2004, 12:48 AM
Registered

In what sort of regard would 'average' Americans be commonly held in Cambodia ? . . . . and how much money ( US dollars, annually ) would be required to live comfortably there ? . . . is there extraordinary inherent danger in just BEING an American in urban Cambodia ? ?
Old 11-15-2004, 12:52 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I'd rather be in Bangkok.......
Old 11-15-2004, 01:41 AM
Registered

I've saw an advert for a furnished apartment for $160/month. I think average is closer to $200. Beers are $1.00 to $1.25, full meals $2.00 - $4.50. So average Americans are very capable of spending some time here very easily. The local income is $30 - $60 a month if that puts any perspective on it.

How are we regarded? From what I've seen so far, they love us. We spend money they don't have. American dollars are accepted more easily than the local currency. I've been out on crowded streets at night and felt very safe. There are caucasions all over the place. Many more than I expected to see.

I'm stopping in Bangkok for a coupla days on the way home - THAT ought to be interesting!
Old 11-15-2004, 05:55 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Post some pictures!!!!
Old 11-15-2004, 07:46 AM
DJD
Registered

Me luv you long time
Now how many times have you heard that?

Happy endings to you
Old 11-15-2004, 08:47 AM
Registered

I used to fly into Phnom Penh during the 70's when I was with Air France. It was in the days when you could not take any photographs, armed soldiers were in the airport tower and we never knew if some apprentice guerilla was going to try and shoot down Boeing 707 with some crude soviet rocket launcher, while we were on approach or take off! .
Also used to fly into Rangoon, now known as "Wangoon" in what used to be called Burma, now known as "Myanmar".
Now THAT was a neat place. If you get over that way, don't miss the Shvedagon Pagoda.
But you will definitely have a good time in Bangkok !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.