Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Wife and dog in accident, insurance question (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/87145-wife-dog-accident-insurance-question.html)

BajaRunner 09-17-2004 09:17 AM

Re: Wife and dog in accident, insurance question

I bought back 2 after wrecks. they ALWAYS sell em cheap. I had a mustang they sold me back for $500. I had just put $700 tires on it.

Chris288 09-17-2004 09:33 AM

P.S. 99 explorer Eddie Bauer V8, dealer trade is like 11 or 12 and retail is between 13 - 14. again thanks for the well wishes everyone.. :)

latest repair work was new ball joints and tie rods, all 4 brakes and rotors, new plugs, wires, new stabalizer, add in the work I did myself and it's over a grand in the last few weeks.. :(

Audiofn 09-17-2004 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Cord
Do not let them tow the car to their impound yard. Keep the vehicle local to you. This will force them to continue to pay the storage fees. They hate that. Remember, you still own the vehicle until they buy it from you. What would you sell it for? Then that's what they should be paying you. If they won't come up to book value, then hire an arbitrator. I paid one $300 once and he adjusted the value by $1,200. Once the insurance company had the true value of the car, they agreed to settle immediatly. As for buying the car back, if the title never changes hands then, the title is still clean. Something to consider.

The title issue is not true in MA and NY. Once the car is totalled the title is rewritten and reflects this.

Jon

Audiofn 09-17-2004 09:45 AM

As far as the new work that was done very recently (I am talking in the last two-4 weeks) DEFINATLY has a effect on the value of the car. Show them the receipts and that value should be added. What my brother and I did on a car he had was took a paper and circled every car that was similiar to his and showed them that not one of them was even close to what they were offereing. They eventually payed a lot more money. In MA you are allowed to buy the car back however to get the title to register it again you have to have the car inspected by the State police. Basically they are looking for reciepts for every part that was put on the car to make sure that they are not stolen.

Jon

R Addiction 09-17-2004 09:53 AM

Hope everyone feels better soon!!! Insurance companies suck!! My 2cents.... :rolleyes:

BonnieOutlaw 09-17-2004 09:58 AM

I'm so sorry to hear of the accident. I'm glad they're doing well. :) Good luck on the insurance - what a nightmare.

Reeking Havoc 09-17-2004 10:16 AM

chris,

glad to here everyone's doing well. As soon as i read this post it fired me up all over again. i hate it when insurance company's think they can push you around, i just went thru the same thing on july 11 was minding my own biz sitting at a stop light with my girlfriend in her mustang gt conv when a full size ext cab dodge ram actually did "ram" us from behind at 50 mph needless to say we didn't fair to well in the match up! but anyway a week later they offer us 2500 under blue book value! i questioned them about it and they said they didn't go off of "blue book" they go off of what cars are going for in my area. well if anyone has ever looked for cars before they know the price difference for different colors ect, mustangs are the same as corvettes certain colors such as green bring thousands less then more "popular" colors, and they sent a list of cars in my area and low and behold everyone was green. but anyway we just said no way we're not taking it flat out! they tried to threaten us by yanking the rental away ( big deal since i have extra cars that i rarely drive) still we didn't budge still said no we're not taking that much, then they actually sent me a letter and said that they were going to drop off the car in my driveway and notify the state that i refused to settle if i didn't settle by the 1st of sept i responded by sending my own list of the exact car and color that we were in and they up there offer 500 bucks we said no we don't care how long it takes we're getting what the cars worth. there was no response for over a week and then out of the blue they call and offer 200 under blue book and we took it. but there's no law saying you have to take what they offer do a little research on trader online with your exact model and hold your ground and they should cave they need and want your file closed. hope this helps and good luck with everything and i am really glad to hear they're doing fine and that it wasn't worse with the severity of the accident. take care

ljsmith1 09-17-2004 11:54 AM

I have discovered that most dealers and possibly insurance companies are not even using NADA, Blue Book or Edmunds. They are using a wholesale 'value' to determine resale value in your area. The main source of this information is "GALVES" www.galves.com. These prices are essentially auction prices that are WAY lower than NADA, KKB, etc. This is how they screw you out of fair market value. The only folks that can buy cars for these low ball values are licensed car dealers! :hothead: How is that "FAIR" market value?? What really pisses me off is.. let's say a dealer buys a late model car with 80K miles in good shape (i.e. needing little fixup for sale) for $3000 at one of these auctions. Then he looks at NADA and puts it on his lot for $8000. They eventually sell the car for $6500. This means they make more on these cars than on a new car! No wonder they lowball you when you try to trade (even if your car is mint).

It's all a big scam and I get pissed off everytime I need to unload a perfectly good car quickly. :mad: :mad:

Anyway, glad to hear everyone is Ok and I hope it all works out for you.

-Larry

wannabe 09-17-2004 01:51 PM

Chris:

NADA on your truck w/ V8, alum wheels, 60 k miles is about 11,000.

Trade in is about 2k less.

Go pound on the insurance guy for something around the higher of the two.

Explain w/ repair receipts in hand yours was better than average.

Wannabe

Chris288 09-17-2004 02:00 PM

Trade in is 13,000 and retail is almost 16,000.. http://www.nadaguides.com/uv/viewres...wPr=1&wPg=2032

P.S. the wife is absolutely meticulous about her stuff, this explorer was a 9 out of 10 both inside and out....