Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Forgedaboud Miami to NY - this is bigger (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/87185-forgedaboud-miami-ny-bigger.html)

Hauling Trash 12-21-2004 03:50 PM

Re: Forgedaboud Miami to NY - this is bigger

Its in the new Poker Runs America Magazine

T2x 12-21-2004 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by GLH
Someone can get a boat race on ESPN a Sunday afternoons that was run 2000 miles to the south of here with 3 American boats and crew out of 115, 2 on board cameras and what looked like 2 handhelds and a sky cam that looked like it was hanging on a kite and make it a blast and very interesting...

Key West'04 if handled comparatively should rival the super-bowl in ratings.

Am I wrong in thinking that;
A cat with two 1300HP blown Sterlings throwing a prop and running against another boat with four Sterlings while yet another cat with V-12's stuffs, rips half it's nose and shears half it's bottom off, all this while a V-Hull with monster power is trying to keep up with them.
A story about any of these race team would show more hardware and technology than some guys building a V-Twin bike.

"Come on Paul Sr. putt your hand in front of that muffler when Mr. Tomlinson cranks it up!!!" :D:D:D

Just venting.... that felt good.
:p

If you like monster trucks which features random big noisy things doing incomprehensible silliness....offshore racing is your thing.

If you like Formula One racing....try tunnel boats...... they are much more closely matched and understandable than the myriad of Offshore classes and related bedlam.

Until Offshore gets grown up enough to recognize that you either have one run whatcha brung....or...... (not and)...... one fully spec'd...feature class...and make the rest of the classes the minor leagues....... there will never be a watchable TV program to come out of it.....and if it ain't watchable on the tube to Mr. and Mrs. Couch Potato....nobody's going to sponsor it.

The Venezuelan event featured man against man...and man against the river..... with a vague "winner"...but everybody driving for the finish line and "victory".There was no P1, P2, P3, P4, P5, X, Supercat, Supervee, Supercat light, Supervee light, Superboat, Outboard Sport, Reindl one design, APBA, SBI, OSS, OPA etc, etc, etc, etc, etc....designated in the program. They did mention "class winners" slightly..and obliquely...... because..... sadly...at the end of the day......all of these classes........ are...slight and oblique.

But, what do I know?

T2x

T2x 12-21-2004 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Sean
ahhh...thanks for the clarification rich :)

i see you dont particularly care for eliminators...any reason? I thought it was a pretty big feat when they broke the 100mph barrier with production 496HOs in their 30...no?

A 32 Skater ran 108 mph with a pair of 300x outboards this past summer..........

a 28 skater with a pair of 2.5 outboards ran 126 mph last week.

Those are pretty big feats.

100 mph with twin 400+ hp engines in a factory prepared 30 footer.......on the other hand......

T2x

FunHome 12-21-2004 04:38 PM

To put to rest a thread on this in the racers mill area, what kind of boat won??

Some say it was a 30ft Spectre I/O
some say it was a 30ft Spectre with Triples
some say it was a 28ft Skater with twins

I have the race on tape at home, and I'm at work.........

T2x 12-21-2004 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by FunHome
To put to rest a thread on this in the racers mill area, what kind of boat won??

Some say it was a 30ft Spectre I/O
some say it was a 30ft Spectre with Triples
some say it was a 28ft Skater with twins

I have the race on tape at home, and I'm at work.........

It looked like a 24 Skater.......It definitely had twin Merc outboard engines (2.5 size powerheads).

Powerboat described it as a "clone".

T2x

Sean 12-21-2004 05:40 PM

Rich, I thought it was a 24 also, and i read most of Nigel Hook's log on the site listed above and he indicates the eventual winner was running a "clone".

Now...I dont want to start a O/B v I/O or Skater/Eliminator debate, but it would appear to me that Peter's boats(24-32) were always designed for use with outboards and as such would be a well balanced fast boat. That being said, Skaters that run over 100mph with 2.4, 2.5 or 300x powerplants seem almost commonplace and if you're running a Skater that ain't running over 100, then you must have missed the setup by a mile...but i could be wrong, I'm just an armchair quarterback. :)

Fast forward to today's I/O boats and up until Eliminator built the 30 with the 496HO motors and Bravo drives, you needed to build some serious power to supass the century mark even in a catamaran...500HPs had to be the absolute minimum in a race layup 32 Skater to break the 100mph barrier...no? Not to mention the absence of any real warranty on the 500HP or the fact that the 496HO is fresh water cooled production motor...this still seems to be a milestone indeed

That said, I wonder why hasn't Skater built a 28 or 32 with 496 motors in it...My only guess it that it would be too slow for your average Skater customer...not implying that the Eliminator is a faster boat or that the Skater is slow...but simply running 100 isn't enough anymore...thoughts?

Rik 12-21-2004 11:22 PM

Skater has built a 32 B with 496's/Bravo's.

Boat also ran over 100 mph.

A 28' was built with a single BBC engine, also ran over 100.

But your right, who only wants to go in the low 100's?

T2x 12-22-2004 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Sean
Rich, I thought it was a 24 also, and i read most of Nigel Hook's log on the site listed above and he indicates the eventual winner was running a "clone".

Now...I dont want to start a O/B v I/O or Skater/Eliminator debate, but it would appear to me that Peter's boats(24-32) were always designed for use with outboards and as such would be a well balanced fast boat. That being said, Skaters that run over 100mph with 2.4, 2.5 or 300x powerplants seem almost commonplace and if you're running a Skater that ain't running over 100, then you must have missed the setup by a mile...but i could be wrong, I'm just an armchair quarterback. :)

Fast forward to today's I/O boats and up until Eliminator built the 30 with the 496HO motors and Bravo drives, you needed to build some serious power to supass the century mark even in a catamaran...500HPs had to be the absolute minimum in a race layup 32 Skater to break the 100mph barrier...no? Not to mention the absence of any real warranty on the 500HP or the fact that the 496HO is fresh water cooled production motor...this still seems to be a milestone indeed

That said, I wonder why hasn't Skater built a 28 or 32 with 496 motors in it...My only guess it that it would be too slow for your average Skater customer...not implying that the Eliminator is a faster boat or that the Skater is slow...but simply running 100 isn't enough anymore...thoughts?

Whew!....Okay....here goes

You're wrong.

The last Factory 3 Skater 32 (new style) I had the privelege of riding in...ran over 115 with 500 HP's. As a matter of fact the 36 Skater can break 110 with 500 HP's. Skater has a new I/O-O/B 30....... which, I'm guessing, should break 110 with 496 motors

Flash backward......23 years...... Original stern drive Shadow Cat "Luv IT" (much bigger than today's Eliminator)...built heavy for BIG Seas with old style laminate schedules and coring...... twin single carb 400 hp......# 3 drives......old style props........... 105 mph.

I repeat..... running over 100 with twin 400+hp stern drives in a 30 foot cat...is no big deal.

and yes...subtract at least 10 mph for West Coast cats......until they copy something other than another West Coast cat.

T2x

Sean 12-22-2004 05:04 PM

what kind of warrantees did "love it's" motors have?...and those 500HPs? :rolleyes:

i see your point rich...no need for further debate.

tripps 12-22-2004 08:00 PM

They should move that event to the Missippi river!! :evilb: :evilb: :evilb: tripps