Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Ford F350 Diesel Tranny Question???? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/87199-ford-f350-diesel-tranny-question.html)

Wardey 09-18-2004 10:54 AM

Ford F350 Diesel Tranny Question????

1 Attachment(s)
On my 2001 F350 Diesel Auto 4x4 the "Overdrive Off" light keeps flashing on the shifter knob. All fluids are good. The truck seems to shift alot harder than usual. Anyone know what the problem could be? Thanks, Dave

Formula Outlaw 09-18-2004 11:43 AM

Re: Ford F350 Diesel Tranny Question????

Probably a bad sensor or solenoid or something of that nature.

Dodge trannys are ledgendary for not wanting to shift down into low gear after stopping. It's the "transducer solenoid" and another sensor that that goes bad in them. They finally fixed the problem after nine years of it being a cash cow for them.

wannabe 09-18-2004 11:51 AM

You have a bad sensor, or your TCM (tranny control module) is going. Or, your OD is gone but not as likely.

Wannabe

BigSilverCat 09-18-2004 11:58 AM

most of the 6 transmissions i had replaced in my f350 did that with the light right before they went. it has something to do with the bands in the trans.

Formula Outlaw 09-18-2004 12:00 PM

How many miles on it???

Wardey 09-18-2004 04:21 PM

60K !!!! And not a whole lot of towing heavy vehicles. That sucks. :mad: Thanks for the imput, Dave

articfriends 09-19-2004 01:30 AM

Your transmission is in partial limp mode,when your computer senses ANY parameter or input on the vehicle that is out of range it cuts out the amperage to the pcs module. Normally on a ford e4od the transmision line pressure is controlled by voltage/amperage,13.7 volts and 1 amp gives it about 100psi line pressure,when the computer senses the throttle position sensor at 100 %,it cuts this amperage down to about zero giving you about 220 psi line presure so that the amount of clamping force the clutches have matches the torque output. A number of different sensors also feed the computer info to determine pcs amperage,if any one of them quits working properly it cuts amperage to zero and it starts shifting extremely hard,if you continue to drive it,it can shear parts off or explode parts. Take it to someone who can scan it and determine problem,it could be a 45$ sensor or it could be a bad connection to transmission,is your speedo working? Its common for abs speed sensor on rear axle or output sensor on rear of case up top to go bad. It could also be metal on one of the transmision sensors from a internal part failing confusing its signal but lets hope for the best!! I see you have larger than stock tires,if your not already using a chip that does speedo correction you should,i just did a e40d on a 2001 exscursion,the guy put 40 inch tires on it (it looked like a frickin artic tundra vehicle!!)and never corrected the input for speedo,the thing only got line pressure for 45 mph when it was going 60 and tranny smoked within 500 miles(he also should have regeared it with 5.13's but didn't). I'm not saying thats your problem but the taller tires do put more stress on it,good luck,Smitty

Indy 09-19-2004 08:35 AM

Just happened to me. Is your speedo off any? Mine was and so was the flashing light on the tree and ABS light. It came down to a faulty sensor. articfriends is correct.

Wardey 09-19-2004 10:56 AM

Nope. No speedo problems just a little harder shifts. The light goes off,once the engine is turned off and it resets the OD control, but then after a few miles it starts to flash again. Tranny fluid is good and clean so I think it must be a sensor. I'll get it to a tranny shop Monday. I have 35" tires on it and the speedo is off a few miles per hour. Thanks Arctic and all. What ever happened to the days when you bought a 1 ton truck and you got a truck that was built like a tank? I want my manual shift linkages back !!!! :hothead: I swear, i'll never complain about how stiff they were again.......I'll never complain about ride noise, stiffness.....i'll never complain about getting out to lock the hubs. Give me my Dana 60 back on the front axle. Thanks again, Dave Warden

Wardey 09-19-2004 10:57 AM

Does Ford have any type of recall on these? It seems everyone I talk to has had problems with these tranny's. Dave