Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   1982 Carrera 24 Project (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/87206-1982-carrera-24-project.html)

Chatim Racing 10-26-2004 08:25 PM

Re: 1982 Carrera 24 Project

2 Attachment(s)
Hey Minx20 - I stumbled across this today while looking for stuff for Ike's (on OSO) '77 Scarab Mich. light restoration. Anyway hope you enjoy if you don't have this already... Great restoration job so far - I love this kind of stuff...

Charlie Jr.

Minx20 10-26-2004 10:11 PM

Charlie Jr,

Thanks alot for this info, just having the original specs helps out a bunch. I even see that I have the same exhust outlet location that the one in the pic has. I can even see how a three position bolster will look on it as well.

Really Cool :D

Thanks again,

E.S.

Qball 10-26-2004 10:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Good luck with your project. It is a fun boat to race... make sure when you are setting up the seating configuration you are able to get low in the boat due to the fact that it has a big freeboard and can get a little squirrley?. I raced a 24 carrera in 2002....they are fun and tough as nails. Good luck..let me know if you need anything. Qball

Chatim Racing 10-27-2004 08:05 AM

E.S.

No problem. PM me a mailing address and I'll mail you a clearer photocopy.

Charlie Jr.

Minx20 10-27-2004 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Chatim Racing
E.S.

No problem. PM me a mailing address and I'll mail you a clearer photocopy.

Charlie Jr.

I sent a PM.

Thanks again, cool deal :D

E.S.

Minx20 11-06-2004 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Minx20
Now it is looking scary. Pulled all the wall to wall shag, and now have the task of removing all the remaining adhesive. At this point I can really see the condition of the inner structure of the hull. So far so good.

Well I can really eat my words now. It looks extemely scary now, but I am in it for the long haul. I have spent last Saturday and today removing all the interior bulkheads and cabin floor. I knew I needed to replace the cabin floor, but upon cutting it out I found out it was actually a second floor that had been previously installed onto\above the original floor. It was completely wet and rotted beyond repair. I started looking into the adjoining bulkheads and the coring material was in the same rotted condition except dry. :eek: I think the cabin floor rotted because there is not a cabin door and most likely rain water built up and did not drain. I worked up about a foot from the floor and the wood at that point in all areas was perfect without any signs of being wet previously.

I planned on replacing the fuel tanks and redoing alot. I just have a bit more to tackle now. I will remove all the cabin bulkheads, cockpit floor, fuel tanks, and then I will get the real scoop. I will completely go into each stringer to ensure that there is no rot as well. One good thing is that if I find a rotted stringer it will be much easier to replace seeing that everything is allready out. Secondly since I plan to compete in P5, I would prefer to find these problems now then to find out in the ocean. This is my opportunity to lighten up the boat by removing the unneeded cabin items, and strengthen the boat when the bukheads are replaced.

At times the idea of the "Carrera Saw Zaw Massacre" had passed my mind :D , but nobody said it would be easy. I am definitely learning something new.

I will post pics later.

E.S.

rchevelle71 11-06-2004 04:59 PM

ES,

that sucks that you got the rot, if you need a hand with something, let me know, I wouldnt mind spending a day in a carrerra, even if it is working on it :D , I cant wait to get the pantera home, and start tearing into it, Today I was supposed to do some Paintwork on a buddy's boat, but with the on/off rain, we decided to put it off, so I worked on fixing the fence at the house, talk about BORING!!!!!

Rick

Minx20 11-06-2004 06:40 PM

Thanks Rick,
I actually am not to bothered by it as it forces me to go all the way so to speak with it. At least I have a new transom, and the hull, sides and deck are near perfect. If I had not planned to tear the tanks out, then I would have be really bent over it. Yeah it will cost more in time and materials, but I can be sure of what I will have when it is finished. Sometimes it just works out that way. Thanks for the "help" offer. I am presently trying just to get all the messy tear out done, then I will most likely call upon some OSO'ers to swing by and give their idea of the best way to put it back together. I have spent about 10 hours with an air grinder so far, and other than the dust and debri, it is going ok. Knock on wood it keeps going that way.

Keep those pics coming on the Pantera coming in. Looking forward to see it.

E.S.

RLW 11-06-2004 08:13 PM

I love boat restoration projects having done a couple myself.
I suggest that you unload that masking tape your using and spring for some of the 3M Blue "Extended Use" masking tape. The "old fashion" two day tape, that you are using now, will be a real pain in the butt to get off, if left on for any length of time.
I used the "Easypoxy" on my last project's engine compartment.
Time will tell if I like it as well as gelcoat.
Have Fun!
Russ

JnT 11-06-2004 08:13 PM

Minx20,Keep up the good work! Definitely keep posting pics on the progress.