Notices

1982 Carrera 24 Project

Old 11-06-2004, 11:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 1982 Carrera 24 Project

Originally Posted by RLW
I suggest that you unload that masking tape your using and spring for some of the 3M Blue "Extended Use" masking tape. The "old fashion" two day tape, that you are using now, will be a real pain in the butt to get off, if left on for any length of time.
Russ, you are correct, it is hard to get that tape off after time, I just used it becasue I had it handy, and since I am going to awlgrip those areas I have to prep the area. The tape has lasted so far as I keep a plastic tarp on it that covers virtually all of the boat so that the rain does not deterioate it faster than I restore it. Now that I am taking everything out down to the stringers, I most likely will use sometype of epoxy in a sprayable form to repaint all the surfaces. Will be easier than brushing it on as I had previously planned.

Later E.S.
Old 11-07-2004, 10:57 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice project these boats are built well ! Ive seen 83 with mine .
Really want to see the pics with the tanks out.. I had a little water sitting under the cabin floor footwell area that wouldnt drain .. When I tried to snake out the drain tubes that IMHO should run front to back they were plugged with foam..I think this may have happened when they foamed in the tanks at the factory..
Not sure of the year 79/80 ish , original IO , now outboards..
Old 11-07-2004, 07:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Minx20
Thanks Rick,
I have spent about 10 hours with an air grinder so far, and other than the dust and debri, it is going ok. Knock on wood it keeps going that way.

Keep those pics coming on the Pantera coming in. Looking forward to see it.

E.S.
Dont you mean..............

Knock on rotton wood

Sorry, had to do it

Where are you doing the work??

Who is painting the bottom, mine is going to need some work too, I can paint, but would rather not lye on my back under the boat to do it, maybe we can get a deal if we bring them both

Rick
Old 11-07-2004, 09:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rchevelle71
Dont you mean..............

Knock on rotton wood

Sorry, had to do it

Where are you doing the work??

Who is painting the bottom, mine is going to need some work too, I can paint, but would rather not lye on my back under the boat to do it, maybe we can get a deal if we bring them both

Rick
I am doing the work where I keep it in Pompano\LHP area at a fiiends house. Alot of work, but I can do this type of tearout/prep and save some dollars. As for the awlgrip work on the bottom, I got a quote from the owner of Zero Tolerance in the North Miami 27th ave area. They are directly across from Concept. He had a 27 Squad, a 28 Pantera, a large Corsa and many others being modified, painted, gel'd etc. They build custom boats, but a large amount of their work is doing resto's of older v-hulls and cats. He quoted to do the transom and bottom in orange awlgrip. Would of re gel'd it but he said the it would be alot more because of the additional wet sanding labor. I am going to schedule with him as soon as I am done doing the bulkheads, tanks, console so that maybe I can get some topside design work done at the same time. If you can paint, maybe you can quote to do the topside work I am looking for. I just want a single color on the top deck.

E.S.
Old 11-07-2004, 09:48 PM
JnT
Registered

Thumbs up Re: 1982 Carrera 24 Project

Keep up the good work!
Old 11-12-2004, 04:01 PM
Registered

Well had the day off and got some more time to grind away. Removed the cabin floor and most of the bulkheads. Still have to remove the tabing. Unreal how many bags of debri I have removed from inside.

E.S.
Attached Thumbnails 1982 Carrera 24 Project-inside2.jpg  
Old 11-12-2004, 04:05 PM
Registered

Another view showing the forward v-berth area. The white color in that area is resin dust from the grinding. Some bad stuff.
Attached Thumbnails 1982 Carrera 24 Project-inside3.jpg  
Old 11-12-2004, 04:12 PM
Registered

Here is a closer look. The area where the red arrows are shows where the wood used to be in between the glass. I was able to scrape the wood out with a screwdriver. It was like mud. The areas where the yellow arrows are were full of water. The drain holes were blocked by expansion foam. Starting to see why there was so much rot in the bulkheads.

E.S.
Attached Thumbnails 1982 Carrera 24 Project-inside4.jpg  
Old 11-12-2004, 10:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Minx20
If you can paint, maybe you can quote to do the topside work I am looking for. I just want a single color on the top deck.

E.S.
Materials, and Beer

I'll take a look at it for ya, as long as it is straight, and solid, we can sand it, prime it, and shoot it, Single color is no big deal.
Old 11-20-2004, 07:33 PM
Registered

Making more progress. Can now see all of the stringers in the cabin area. Still have one more section to go in the forward v-berth area. Will have to clean up all the tabing left over.
Attached Thumbnails 1982 Carrera 24 Project-inside-5.jpg  

Last edited by Minx20; 11-20-2004 at 07:37 PM.

Quick Reply: 1982 Carrera 24 Project

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.