Notices

1982 Carrera 24 Project

Old 11-20-2004, 07:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 1982 Carrera 24 Project

This pic is of a cockpit console bulkhead removed. I have to remove the floor, so I decided to cut high enough to ensure that I had cut all the rotted wood out. This will also give me plenty of room to work in the case I have to replace stringers.
Attached Thumbnails 1982 Carrera 24 Project-inside-6.jpg  
Old 11-20-2004, 07:47 PM
Registered

And the opposite side. Still need to cut the bulkhead support back a bit and even up some of the other cuts I made, but will get to that later. Just about ready to cut the cockpit floor out.
Attached Thumbnails 1982 Carrera 24 Project-inside-7.jpg  
Old 11-20-2004, 07:52 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow your realy into that boat ..wear a good respirator , that stuffs bad.
Keep up the good work and the updates

Last edited by Pantera1; 08-02-2007 at 06:14 PM.
Old 11-20-2004, 09:08 PM
Registered

Talking

Minx20,

Wow, that looks like a fun project.

Pantera1,

Have you figured out how to put trim tabs on your boat yet? How about cutting back the bracket? Is that possible?
Old 11-20-2004, 09:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a set of bennetts and trimmed to fit . Different boat ..flys nice and level now.. Did you ever put a second weed wacker on the back of yours ??
Old 11-20-2004, 11:45 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

DUDE I hope that you are bracing that boat from the outside if you are removing all those bulkheads and stringers and flooring all at once!!! If you do not the hull will warp and or bow out. When I did mine (still am doing mine) I only removed one thing at a time and put extra sapport under the hull to make sure we did not have a issue with the hull. Other then that I can relate to what you are doing and it sucks but in the long run you will be one happy camper.

Jon
Old 11-21-2004, 06:56 AM
Registered

Thanks, I have been in the process of supporting the hull. As far as stringers go, if I have to replace, then I plan on doing the center one first, then removing and replacing each one at a time. I am removing the bulkheads and floor all as to have full access to the srtingers. I am next, before cuting the floor out going to put some internal straps/braces to support the hull. Do you think, as I have limited expirence in this, that the fact that the hull and deck is bonded together, that this will assist in keeping the hull from flexing?

Thanks for the advice

E.S.
Old 11-21-2004, 07:25 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Yes DEFINATLY keep the deck on tell you are done with the bulkheads if you intend to take it off at all. If you look in the Tech area you can see what I have been doing. Do a search for Stringer replacement and you should find the project that I have going on in my Formula 302. When I did mine I cut out the floors to gain acess to the stringers. I then cut the stringers back a little from the bulkheads (about 6" or so). I then removed one bulkhead at a time. Once that was done I replaced one stringer at a time. I left as much foam and stuff in the boat as I could. I figured that by doing that I could actually see if the boat started to seperate at all. It seems to have worked well as everything is fitting back in about perfectly. It may be a little more clear if you see the pictures that I posted up for ya.

Jon
Old 11-21-2004, 01:11 PM
Registered

Audiofn, Thinks for the insite. I do not plan to take the deck off. I am lucky at least the deck coring has no issues, and I felt that it would benefit me as it will assist in keeping the hull ridged. I am leaving the upper sections of bulkhead that are still attached to the underside of the deck and to the two inner hull sides as this I hope will kept the hull ridged. You can see the area of one section I left in, out-lined in red. The forward section is outlined in yellow. I will take a look at your thread as your expirence is greatly appreciated.

E.S.
Attached Thumbnails 1982 Carrera 24 Project-inside-5-support.jpg  

Last edited by Minx20; 11-21-2004 at 06:08 PM.
Old 11-21-2004, 07:51 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Are the tops of the bulkheads ok and that is why you took them out? If so that is fine just make shure you taper the area were you intent to put them back togther. You do not just want to butt them together it would be a very week connection. I would at least do a 45 degree cut. You do not have to grind out all the tabbing. Only the area's were it is lifted from prying and what not. Of course if you are a glutton for punishment like me (and hell from the looks of it you are ) then you will grind it all off. You know to save that extra 5 pounds

Jon

Quick Reply: 1982 Carrera 24 Project

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.