Notices

1982 Carrera 24 Project

Old 11-22-2004, 10:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 1982 Carrera 24 Project

Originally Posted by Audiofn
Are the tops of the bulkheads ok and that is why you took them out? If so that is fine just make shure you taper the area were you intent to put them back togther. You do not just want to butt them together it would be a very week connection. I would at least do a 45 degree cut. You do not have to grind out all the tabbing. Only the area's were it is lifted from prying and what not. Of course if you are a glutton for punishment like me (and hell from the looks of it you are ) then you will grind it all off. You know to save that extra 5 pounds

Jon
Yes, I left the top portions, that are outlined in the previous picture, intact. I plan on making 45's on the reattachment and also will laminate another portion on top of a portion of the existing section to give it better load balance. Considering the amount of weight removed with the "living" items such as couch and v-berth bed area, I plan to increase the strength of the bulkheads with some additional laminate. As it was before, there was a lot of exposed wood in these areas. By the time it is done, it might not be any lighter, but should be stronger and more resistent to water damage.

E.S.
Old 11-26-2004, 04:39 PM
Registered

Well instead of getting stuck in a Mall the day after Thanksgiving, I got a jump on the weekend and broke out the grinder a bit early.

Cockpit floor removed exposing both fuel tanks.

E.S.
Attached Thumbnails 1982 Carrera 24 Project-fuel-tanks-1.jpg  
Old 11-26-2004, 04:46 PM
Registered

Another one looking towards the stern. The yellow expansion foam was covering the entire surface area of the tanks. Lots of time to remove the foam. You can still see some between the rear of the tanks and the bulkhead.
Attached Thumbnails 1982 Carrera 24 Project-fuel-tanks-2.jpg  
Old 11-26-2004, 04:51 PM
Registered

The tanks have L-brackets welded to all four corners. Are these supposed to be attached to the stringers or is this a support mount for the floor?
Attached Thumbnails 1982 Carrera 24 Project-fuel-tanks-3.jpg  
Old 11-26-2004, 04:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What size are those tanks ..can you read the tag I think mine are 36 gal. ???
Old 11-26-2004, 04:58 PM
Registered

The original floor was still under the most recent one. Of course it was still wet and rotted. I will take the floor all the way back and remove the tabbing in order to hopefully have a floor that will last the elements.

The tanks don't have any sings of corrosion, will wait to see the bottom sides when pulled.

This is really a lession in the need of proper drainage.
Attached Thumbnails 1982 Carrera 24 Project-fuel-tanks-4.jpg  
Old 11-26-2004, 05:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Pantera1
What size are those tanks ..can you read the tag I think mine are 36 gal. ???
The label is still there but I was to tired to clean and read. Will look tomorrow. I was told by several that they were 47gal each. Were yours hard to pull out? I am going to try tomorrow.

E.S.
Old 11-29-2004, 05:04 PM
Registered

Received 562 Likes on 231 Posts

Acetone will turn that foam into liquid and save a lot of time chipping out the foam.
Old 11-30-2004, 07:38 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Or use a chain saw.... I AM NOT KIDDING!!! It works the nuts. Just dull the blade down a little and it will not even touch the fiberglass even with the sharp blade it does not really messit up if you are carefull but with the dulled blade you do not have to worry at all. I just used one of the electric units but I think a gas one would be fine also.

As far as grinding out the tabbing do yourself a favor and get a GOOD power hand planer. I used the Dewalt unit. I tried the ell cheapo and it does not have the ball for this type of work. It took me 8 hours to grind out the tabbing on my boat on one stringer. With the power planer I did 2 in about 6. If you plan to take out ALL the tabbing really have to have a good eye for when you hit the actuall glass on the outside of the boat and know when to stop grinding. I showed a friend what to do with his boat and he did not really pay atention. When I showed up later that day he had ground 2 holes in the bottom of the boat in the corners Easy fix but I had to laughed my ass off.

Jon
Old 11-30-2004, 08:35 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by tommymonza
Acetone will turn that foam into liquid and save a lot of time chipping out the foam.
Thanks for the tip (have a similar problem with a bow drain).
Will acetone attack the glass/resin if you get sloppy?

Quick Reply: 1982 Carrera 24 Project

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.