Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   LAKE GEORGE, N.Y. Man arrested for leaving stingy tip at restaurant (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/87271-lake-george-n-y-man-arrested-leaving-stingy-tip-restaurant.html)

wwwTOPDJcom 09-20-2004 07:50 AM

LAKE GEORGE, N.Y. Man arrested for leaving stingy tip at restaurant

http://www.courttv.com/people/2004/0913/tip_ap.html

Humberto A. Taveras put his money where his mouth is and ended up arrested, accused of leaving an inadequate tip at a restaurant.

Taveras, 41, faces a misdemeanor charge of theft of services after he and his fellow diners argued with Soprano's Italian and American Grill managers over the legality of requiring an 18 percent tip for large parties.

"They chased us down like a bunch of criminals," Taveras said. "It killed our weekend."

Taveras and eight others had pizza at the restaurant in this resort village Sunday night. He said they weren't completely satisfied with the food and left a tip of under 10 percent. Taveras said they also were not told of a mandatory 18 percent gratuity for parties of six or more and did not see notice of it on their menus.
Restaurant owner Joe Soprano said all the menus have the notice, and the waitress informed the group. He said he did not choose to pursue charges because of the money, but because Taveras' group was obnoxious.

"It's unfortunate it has come to this, but this guy was rude and abrasive. They practically threw food at us," Soprano said.

Taveras plans to fight the charge. The arrest raises the issue of whether the gratuities that restaurants automatically tack on for serving large groups are legally enforceable debts.

Baddogg 09-20-2004 08:12 AM

Re: LAKE GEORGE, N.Y. Man arrested for leaving stingy tip at restaurant

Later For Pizza In Lake George Stick With Georges. You Cant Go Wrong. Best Food Around

BonnieOutlaw 09-20-2004 08:37 AM

Okay, let me get this straight....a bunch of really cheap obnoxious guys ate pizza (also cheap) and didn't like it so they didn't tip the waitress properly??? As if it's her fault they didn't like the pizza???

Jerks.

CigDaze 09-20-2004 09:53 AM

Geez...it's PIZZA!...how bad could the tip have been?

WTF? :rolleyes:

wwwTOPDJcom 09-20-2004 09:56 AM

Local prosecutors say they won't charge Humberto Taveras for not leaving a big enough tip at Soprano's Italian and American Grill in Lake George.

The 41-year-old Long Island man was arrested Labor Day weekend when the restaurant owner accused him of not leaving an 18-percent gratuity required for large parties.

Taveras says he wasn't aware of the policy -- and wouldn't have left that much money anyway because he wasn't happy with the service.

The Warren County District Attorney's Office says a restaurant patron can't be forced to leave a gratuity.

Prosecutors say establishments have to call it a service charge -- not a tip -- in order to make it a mandatory add-on charge.

Cash Bar 09-20-2004 04:57 PM

I wanna charge him for the service on my 9mm after I bus' a cap in his cheap azz. I buy the ammo, he pays for the cleaning. I might even have the server watch.

Losers and Hi Maintenance people need to eat at home and ***** at family.

GLH 09-20-2004 06:53 PM

Slow day at work Brian, worrying about tips in a Lake George pizza joint... compelling. :D

Cord 09-20-2004 08:30 PM

I'd like to know what the cop was thinking when he arrested the guy.